Speculation: Offer sheet to Puljujärvi

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Maybe. If Petan wasn't 16th overall pick he would be buried in the AHL by now. The fact is that not long ago, both of these players were deemed good prospects. One was seen as having much higher upside, is younger, and should have more development left in him, while the other was never seen as having the level of upside, has developed for longer, and has yet to show that he can play in the NHL. Basically, both of these guys aren't NHL players right now, and only a fool would pass on the younger and less developed on in favour of the older one at this point. Petan is looking at a career in the AHL if he doesn't make his mark in a big hurry. Pulujarvi might be as well, but has more time to grow and prove the "he's a bust" naysayers wrong.

Petan was a 2nd rd pick. His main problem in Winnipeg.. Our top 6 hell top 9 is stacked... Id imagine you give petan a shot on the top 6 with another team not as deep as the Jets he does well.

Petan Comrie for Puljujarvi. I'd do it .

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Stamkos was healthy scratched because he was playing like a dog that got it's its ass whipped for doing nnothing. Rick Tocchet put him in the press box to watch the games and let things sink in. It WAS NOT a punishment. It was to let him know everything was going to be done differently. Stamkos ended his rookie year on a high note and it translated into the next season.

So Yak leads his team in goals and 12th in the league with 10+ less games because he doesn't understand what coaches want? Or is it because he's getting a fresh start and he's stariting to feel like his old self again?

Edit: it boils down to confidence and consistency in the message you are getting
Have you talked to yak about this? are you in those meetings?

He could very well being sat cause hes a dumb hockey player.

No one knows why he's getting sat.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Could be a win-win

Pulju could turn it around with proper development and be that beast 2rw you guys need.

JFK could be a the all around right handed 3c we need along with Donato as the finishing 2lw for Nuge.

Be prepared for the counter offer from Bruins fans to be something along Donato and Edmonton native Cameron Hughes.

Cheers

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Oiler fans giving up on this guy already?

Nope, OP isn't a Oilers fan.

What made you think that?

Puljujarvi is probably best put in the AHL to work on his game and get more than 8-10 minutes a game like he's getting atm. Oilers are running out of games of waiver exempt status. Next season he'll be 21 and waiver eligible. All Oilers fans want to see him succeed.

Reactions: Fogelhund and Ola

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Petan was a 2nd rd pick. His main problem in Winnipeg.. Our top 6 hell top 9 is stacked... Id imagine you give petan a shot on the top 6 with another team not as deep as the Jets he does well.

Petan Comrie for Puljujarvi. I'd do it .

I’d rather he get offer sheeted than move him for what Cheveldayoff dug out from between the seats of his no doubt sensible family vehicle. I love that you guys keep pretending 23 year olds in Petan/Comrie have any value at all but a 20 year old Puljujarvi is somehow a bust.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah 2 guys who could likely help your team. No? Ok. Its cool.

Nick Petan is almost 24 and has 5 NHL goals. Only team he’s helping is Bakersfield - and we’d have to waive him to get there.

Comrie isn’t an upgrade on what we have in Starrett. Not interested in cutting into his playing time.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
If we match a $4 million per offer sheet for Puljujarvi I’d be done with this team for awhile.

We have to clean house and start from the ground up anyways. I’d take the 2nd as compensation and move on.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
You're comparing an 18 year old Stamkos being benched by one coach and exploding for 51 goals in the next season, to Yakupov? And now Nail can't understand what Russian coaches want? When is the poor kid going to stop getting idiot coaches?
I agree. Coaching worldwide better smarten up before they ruin poor Mr. Yakupov's career.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I wonder how much a GM would fear retribution if he offer sheeted Puljujärv?

Like of course, EDM could easily offer sheet one of NYR's players, but that doesn't seem likely in the near future. Would NYR become open game for all other NHL teams for offer sheets? I doubt that is the notion among the GMs. Like if Boston jumps in and offer sheet one of NYR's players, could their GM go 'let my players be, I just went after one of NYR's players because NYR went after one of EDM's players'? It feels like any other GM could then offer sheet one of Boston's player for the same reason Boston went after one of NYRs players.

I wonder how much GM's really fear the offer sheet retribution part and how much the lack of offer sheets just should be attributed to the GMs in the NHL being tremendously risk adverse...

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I wonder how much a GM would fear retribution if he offer sheeted Puljujärv?

Like of course, EDM could easily offer sheet one of NYR's players, but that doesn't seem likely in the near future. Would NYR become open game for all other NHL teams for offer sheets? I doubt that is the notion among the GMs. Like if Boston jumps in and offer sheet one of NYR's players, could their GM go 'let my players be, I just went after one of NYR's players because NYR went after one of EDM's players'? It feels like any other GM could then offer sheet one of Boston's player for the same reason Boston went after one of NYRs players.

I wonder how much GM's really fear the offer sheet retribution part and how much the lack of offer sheets just should be attributed to the GMs in the NHL being tremendously risk adverse...
The GMs work for their respective clubs owners. Owners don't like offer sheets because it drives up the cost of good young players that the RFA system otherwise depresses the wages for. Offer sheets exist only to appease the PA, as if to say "look, the RFA system isn't entirely rigged against the players, they might get an offer sheet if their team isn't willing to pay fairly". Other than teams like Edmonton and Toronto grossly overpaying for RFA years as if they're UFA years recently, the RFA system saves the owners money.

GMs don't tender offer sheets because their bosses don't want them becoming common. I doubt there's an unspoken agreement between GMs (a group that has little job security and thus less long-term incentive to not make enemies) but I expect there's one between owners.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Nobody is going to offer sheet him. He has not played up anywhere near the expectations. As mentioned he is more likely to be traded to a team wanted to try and revive his career.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
To me the point of an offer sheet is:

To get a player for less than his team is saying his value is

Forcing a team who doesnt have money to give you a player

For Puljiarvi, I wonder what Edmonton wants right now. 2nd + prospect? If you think you can sign him to a 3 year 3 million dollar deal, you only need to give up a 2nd hence saving the additional asset.
If he works out, you get a guy who is 6'4 skates well and before being drafted looked like a beast. If he just stays the way he us but works on his fmdefebsive wide of the game, he is probably still worth around 3m.

gach

Aug 2, 2018
I have been thinking about this for a while. EDM are ruining Jesse Puljujärvi and everyone can see it, but they would never move him without getting a substantial return back -- it could make you look really bad if you trade him for like a 2nd round pick and he gets going somewhere else -- and nobody will be prepared to ant up to get him.

But wouldn't a 4 million 2 year offer sheet be a very good way of getting him for a team that (1) needs to take some chances to find a kid with potential and (2) has cap space?

Rationale:
-From the little I know, my guess would be that EDM would have a hard time matching it. Or? Would they want to keep an under-performing, disgruntled kid (you get what I mean, obviously he wanted out if he signed the offer sheet, I don't really know what he feels, but that is at least something), for 4m per when they have so many holes all over?

-The cost is "only" a 2nd round pick.

-The qualifying offer after 2 years at another 4m isn't terrible if he does well for you.

-He you want to walk away after 2 years, all you need to do is to just not qualify him.

-But what about if the GM realize that Pulju was completely worthless and get panic attacks 24/7 because his team desperately would need that cap space after the first year? No worries, you can buy him out for 1/3 of the remaining contract spread over twice the remaining years (right?), ie 4 million / 3 = 1.3m per diveded over 2 years, 0.650k per.

From my POV, Puljujärvi is getting attached with all kinds of negative labels. But the kid certainly has talent, and the only negative thing I see is that he as a very big kid is having problems keeping up with the pace and being around the puck enough. He was rushed to the NHL really bad and he isn't getting much support in EDM.

I know many will feel that Pulju isn't worth 4m per and a 2nd rounder, sure they can be right, but I do think there are some potential there and I am not sure EDM have managed to ruin him yet. Think he would be worth the gamble.
I thought you offer sheet someone to get better not worse

Tysonson3

Feb 20, 2017
Sure you can offer sheet him for 4m per year but what do you think your own rfa 3rd/4th liners are going to ask for?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The GMs work for their respective clubs owners. Owners don't like offer sheets because it drives up the cost of good young players that the RFA system otherwise depresses the wages for. Offer sheets exist only to appease the PA, as if to say "look, the RFA system isn't entirely rigged against the players, they might get an offer sheet if their team isn't willing to pay fairly". Other than teams like Edmonton and Toronto grossly overpaying for RFA years as if they're UFA years recently, the RFA system saves the owners money.

GMs don't tender offer sheets because their bosses don't want them becoming common. I doubt there's an unspoken agreement between GMs (a group that has little job security and thus less long-term incentive to not make enemies) but I expect there's one between owners.

I’ve seen this notion at times over the years, especially more often early during the cap, and it was often put out there by reporters that didn’t quite understand how the cap works.

The RFA system does not save the owners money. Not a cent. The owners wouldn’t have to spend a cent more even if all players were UFAs every season. If teams overspend, let’s say all teams spend up to the cap, a significant part of every players salary would not be paid out to them but instead he put in escrow, then after the season when the HRR have been determined the money in escrow is released to either the owners or players so that the revenue ends up being divided 50/50.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
To me the point of an offer sheet is:

To get a player for less than his team is saying his value is

Forcing a team who doesnt have money to give you a player

For Puljiarvi, I wonder what Edmonton wants right now. 2nd + prospect? If you think you can sign him to a 3 year 3 million dollar deal, you only need to give up a 2nd hence saving the additional asset.
If he works out, you get a guy who is 6'4 skates well and before being drafted looked like a beast. If he just stays the way he us but works on his fmdefebsive wide of the game, he is probably still worth around 3m.

The thing is, EDM obviously think that a player is developed by the player himself ‘just figuring it out’. Everyone can see that this is not the case, and that they will keep ruining 1st overall pick after 1st overall pick with this approach, but non the less the owners/brass there don’t ‘get it’.

As a result, they will also keep living in the illusion that Puljujärvi one day will ‘just figure it out’ and become a star. And since Puljujärvis value is so low they will think the lottery ticket of him ‘figuring it out’ is worth more than whatever return they can get.

You and me can see that Puljujärvi aren’t working out in EDM. Even if he was overrated and has flaws, we can also see that EDM arent doing a stellar job developing him — right? So it should make all the sense in the world for them to deal him. And it made all the sense in the world for them to deal him last season too, right? There were — none — reason whatsoever to like in February 2018 sit there and expect Puljujärvi to take a big step for EDM in 2019. Just like we all can see that he won’t take that step even if they keep him to 2020.

And his value have gone down now from February 2018 to February 2019 and it will be less in February 2020.

But they will never move him because the owners/brass of EDM just don’t get it. It was just so moronic to rush Puljujärvi to start with. Yakupov was rushed too. So what to they do with their next 1st, Yamamoto? They rush him to the NHL. Its never EDM doing anything wrong, it’s always the players fault. It’s beyond...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad