Speculation: Offer sheet to Puljujärvi

Discussion in 'Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk' started by Ola, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Ola

Ola HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

Lawyer
    I have been thinking about this for a while. EDM are ruining Jesse Puljujärvi and everyone can see it, but they would never move him without getting a substantial return back -- it could make you look really bad if you trade him for like a 2nd round pick and he gets going somewhere else -- and nobody will be prepared to ant up to get him.

But wouldn't a 4 million 2 year offer sheet be a very good way of getting him for a team that (1) needs to take some chances to find a kid with potential and (2) has cap space?

Rationale:
    -From the little I know, my guess would be that EDM would have a hard time matching it. Or? Would they want to keep an under-performing, disgruntled kid (you get what I mean, obviously he wanted out if he signed the offer sheet, I don't really know what he feels, but that is at least something), for 4m per when they have so many holes all over?

-The cost is "only" a 2nd round pick.

-The qualifying offer after 2 years at another 4m isn't terrible if he does well for you.

-He you want to walk away after 2 years, all you need to do is to just not qualify him.

-But what about if the GM realize that Pulju was completely worthless and get panic attacks 24/7 because his team desperately would need that cap space after the first year? No worries, you can buy him out for 1/3 of the remaining contract spread over twice the remaining years (right?), ie 4 million / 3 = 1.3m per diveded over 2 years, 0.650k per.

From my POV, Puljujärvi is getting attached with all kinds of negative labels. But the kid certainly has talent, and the only negative thing I see is that he as a very big kid is having problems keeping up with the pace and being around the puck enough. He was rushed to the NHL really bad and he isn't getting much support in EDM.

I know many will feel that Pulju isn't worth 4m per and a 2nd rounder, sure they can be right, but I do think there are some potential there and I am not sure EDM have managed to ruin him yet. Think he would be worth the gamble.

bernmeister and Flukeshot like this.
  2. Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771 Go Knights Go

Why would anyone offersheet him to that? He's quickly on the way to bustville, and you're not going to qualify him at $4+ million if he sucks. You'd be better off trading a reclamation project prospect for him instead of overpaying him on an offersheet.

3. Dr Danglefest

Dr Danglefest Lindros|Giroux|Krug

Yeah, seems like you put a lot of thought into the idea, I just don’t think it will happen

As above poster said, similar reclamation project...Dylan Strome would have previously made some sense ignoring Position but that type of player

4. Kid Icarus

Kid Icarus Do yuu undastahn!?

I’m sure they’d match a $1M offersheet

5. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin and she did not see his butt Sponsor

1.7 over 2 years, 2 way deal.

What's the compensation on that?

6. ManofSteel55

ManofSteel55 Registered User

Edmonton matches that I'm sure.

7. Junohockeyfan

Junohockeyfan Registered User

He is not worth an offer sheet. Why overpay him without any evidence that he can earn the contract.

His bust vs success ratio is trending on bust.

8. Kyosama

Kyosama Registered User

No compensation for a hit that low I'm pretty sure.

EDIT: Correction, one 3rd round pick.

Frank Drebin likes this.
  9. Frank Drebin

Yeah I know an offer sheet like that is worthless.

Puju isn't worth the risk for retribution.

10. RebuildinVan

RebuildinVan Registered User

He is worth a Goldobin type straight across.

11. TML1967

TML1967 Registered User

4m may be high, but 2.5m? Edm still gets s 2nd.

I hear the Oilers need a good young winger.

Carolina maybe?

12. TFHockey

TFHockey The CEO of 7-8-0

I don't see this every happening. A low offer sheet is matched. No one is going to offer a high one because Puljujarvi hasn't earned it. A far more likely scenario is that a new GM tries to figure out how to get the most out of his young 4th OA. If that is a trade, so be it. If that is further development, even better.

13. Habby4Life

Habby4Life Registered User

Exactly, 4m for a bust is way to high. He will go the route of Yak with Edm getting a 3rd out of some team. He is on his way to the khl no need wasting 4m or a second rounder.

14. ToDavid

ToDavid Registered User

Most teams aren't trading away Dylan Strome's though. It's very rare for a team to give up on a player that young.

So Puljujarvi could be the next Strome but the Oilers aren't likely to trade him. This sounds like a pretty good option for a rebuilding team. IMO the Canucks make sense. Decent amount of cap space going forward, big money for Petersson isn't due until 2020-21, $4 million for two years on a potential bust isn't going to hurt them much. The potential to rob a division rival is probably pretty enticing.

15. McShogun99

McShogun99 Registered User

No one is going to offer sheet JP.

16. ThreeOfAPerfectPair

ThreeOfAPerfectPair Registered User

33 Sky Chi Master
    Yeah I don't think Puljujarvi is going to hold out for a big contract....Assume he quickly signs a bridge in the ~$1.5 territory.

The Nuge likes this.
  17. DudeWhereIsMakar

DudeWhereIsMakar Bergevin sent me an offer sheet

I was hoping when Chiarelli was there a Petan for Puljujarvi trade would happen. But I think it's more of a long shot now. Will be interesting to see what he gets if he were to be given an offer sheet.

18. The Nuge

The Nuge Top 9 Forward Count - 6/9

He’s a 4th liner right now. No team is going to give him 4 million per hoping that he figures out how to get the puck in the net

Why would he sign that? A 2 way deal makes no sense.

19. TBF1972

TBF1972 Registered User

I doubt Poolparty would sign an offersheet with a 2 way deal

20. AlwaysSunnyInTampa

AlwaysSunnyInTampa LOLZ! This friggin sucks dude!

Wouldn't you like to know
    Anyone who would offer JP more than $1 million is out of their minds. Either send him to Finland or sign him to an AHL-only contract. Another year of this isn't going to fix anything. This is the biggest draft bust they have had in the OBC era. JP needs to play in another league before the idea of him ever becoming a top 6 player vanishes forever.

FWIW- In Russia, Yakupov is tied for the lead in goals scored for his team at 20. The leading goal scorer in the KHL has 27. And this is all while being regular healthy scratch in the SKA lineup and playing 10+ games less than everyone else.

21. Frank Drebin

I doubt any gm offers him any more than that

22. Krisbryantisbest

Krisbryantisbest Registered User

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

This is gold, Merry, gold

23. Frank Drebin

He's a healthy scratch in Russia too?

24. Setec Astronomy

Setec Astronomy Registered User

It's actually not a terrible idea if you keep it below the second round pick compensation level. For example, a team like the Devils probably won't be spending to the cap even if they tried in that there are only two sizable contracts they're going to have in the near future, Hall and Nico. They could offer sheet Pulijarvi at something like 4 years $12 million. An overpayment for sure, but still less than the average NHL cap salary which they can easily make disappear without affecting anything else they want to do.

Obviously it depends on whether you see real upside in him still. I don't watch Oilers games regularly, so I can't tell you anything about him beyond his stat sheet.

Ola likes this.
  25. Ola

Ola HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

Lawyer
    I get what you guys mean, albeit the "he isn't worth 4m for 2 years" talk is pretty irrelevant for teams with cap space and nobody to spend it on.

But I still can't help to feel that the kid is just 20 y/o. If you look at kids like born +/- 6 months of him -- there are a ton of guys who are very far from being written off and also have done very little in the NHL. Nolan Patrick is starting slow in Philly, also 20 y/o. I am a ranger fan, I think Lias Andersson is showing good potential and nobody is writting him off despite him not yet having made it in the NHL, and Pulju is just 3 months older than Lias, just 6 months older than Mittlestadt, what 7 months older than Necas and so forth. The big difference is just that Pulju was rushed to the NHL and he have been around a while and what people have seen is a kid playing in a league he shouldn't have played with to start with. How would Mittlestadt, Necas or Lias Andersson have looked if they played the last three seasons in the NHL?

He got a really have RHS. He has great instincts around the net. Great hands. Just must get him involved in the offensive game. Look at Laine's drought lately, scoring pts in the NHL isn't about just putting your skates out on the ice if you are a talented guy. The marginals are really small. Just because someone isn't scoring it doesn't have to mean that the kid in question don't have any talent whatsoever. Pulju got issues with keeping up with the pace in the NHL. But he is 6'5 and just 20 y/o and plays in a tough environment in EDM. Think he would be a better fit in the East too. If he can become stronger and add more intensity to his skating -- he has the top speed for sure, that isn't an issue -- I wouldn't at all be surprised if he started to score more. But he will never get anywhere in EDM.

Coach Parker likes this.