Speculation: Offer sheet to Puljujärvi

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The problem here is the $4 million part, not offersheeting Puljujarvi part. If he either busts or only progresses slowly, you're either going to have to let him walk as a UFA and try to re-sign him or continuously qualify him at $4 million. That's the issue here.

If you want him, trade a reclamation project type of prospect for him and re-sign him for like $1 million a year. You're not trapped with the options of overpaying him or letting him walk as a free agent if you do that.

You can give him another 1 year deal at $4M at age 22. You should get a good idea on his potential in his age 21 and 22 years. If he is worth $4M at age 23, you pay him. If he is not worth it, let him walk.

A 2nd round pick has more potential to disappoint

The only risk is cap space. If you have the cap space, it's worth the shot.

Reactions: Ola

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think it comes down to Puljujarvi vs a 2nd. At least with Puljujarvi, you know what you have. The probability of getting more value than Puljujarvi with a 2nd is not great.

The 1 year term fits. If he disappoints with a new team, let him walk. If he does well, you now have to pay him $4M or more moving forward right? If you are willing to pay him $4M or more, that means he produces on his new team. Good problem to have.

No idea if the Oilers match or not. I guess it depends on if it's a early 2nd or mid to late 2nd.

Exactly, and I think the big key for the buyer would be that Pulju vs a 2nd rounder in terms of value could -- by some who don't think highly of Pulju -- be argued to be close. But I do think its really hard to argue that for someone really needing a high potential kid -- its possible to find someone with the potential that Puljujärvi has with that 2nd rounder. Many teams has the depth and play OK hockey most of the time, but they have a really hard time finding that guy that can put the puck in the net and create offense. Pulju is of course far from a 'lock' to become that kid, but he does have that potential.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The problem here is the $4 million part, not offersheeting Puljujarvi part. If he either busts or only progresses slowly, you're either going to have to let him walk as a UFA and try to re-sign him or continuously qualify him at $4 million. That's the issue here.

If you want him, trade a reclamation project type of prospect for him and re-sign him for like $1 million a year. You're not trapped with the options of overpaying him or letting him walk as a free agent if you do that.

Good point, and I agree. There is a bit of a dilemma here. If he sucks, you don't qualify him. No problem there. If he find his game, you just qualify him. No doubt. A kid don't have to do much to get 4m per these days, so no problem there too. If he scores like 50 pts, 4m isn't even a lot for a qualifying offer. Right.

But what if he just shows that promising signs, and you might want to keep him, but he still is only scoring like 20+15 in 80 games? You think he has potential to take that final step when he get closer to his mid 20s, but you aren't sure. Possibly it would be better if you could bridge him at around 3m instead of 4m. But is the downside really that big? Its still only a 1 year deal.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The issue is AHL stats are nothing to brag about either. I think there are some who still believe in him but is a cautious optimism. I understand your age 20 narrative but when a player is not trending well, he's not trending well. The skill is there but he has a hard time creating time and space cause he lacks foot speed. This is his issue IMO.

The trending aspect is definitely something I bring up regarding kids all the time too. Its tough for a kid to turn it around for sure. Definitely think any team wanting to get a hold of Pulju must act sooner rather than later, and it could be too late of course too. There is a risk.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I doubt that anyone would offer sheet him, let alone at 4 million bucks, that would be crazy stupid, hes' not worth it. Its more then likely that his agent will approach the Oilers and either ask for a 1 year showme type deal or ask for permission to sign in Europe.

I think tho that at the end of the season, it will be the end of the poolparty in Edmonton.

ref19

Oct 3, 2017
He is just 20 y/o. There are so many really good NHLers today in the league who weren't close to being NHL ready when they were 20 y/o. Kevin Hayes is another big kid who is doing great for the New York Rangers. Can you envision how Kevin Hayes would have looked in the NHL when he was 20 y/o? Kevin Hayes joined NYR when he was 22 y/o, he had to push himself a lot to catch up the first couple of years.

What I am missing? Why aren't that a relevant comparison?
Appreciate the thought but it’s not a good comparison.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
He’s a 4th liner right now. No team is going to give him 4 million per hoping that he figures out how to get the puck in the net

Why would he sign that? A 2 way deal makes no sense.

The sad thing is a 4th liner on a stacked wing team wouldn't be horrid but considering the Oilers winger depth it's outrageous. Just throw him with McDavid can't be any worse than the rest of the guys minus Chiasson. He'll grab some points and maybe that will motivate him.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
The sad thing is a 4th liner on a stacked wing team wouldn't be horrid but considering the Oilers winger depth it's outrageous. Just throw him with McDavid can't be any worse than the rest of the guys minus Chiasson. He'll grab some points and maybe that will motivate him.

Lucic and Kassian have been playing well in the top 6 lately (relatively speaking), so it doesn’t really make sense to put Pulju in the top 6 when he’s not producing. Our top 6 wingers are basically whichever 4th liner is hot at that time, so he’ll get another shot at some point, when Kass cools off

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I think Puljujarvi is a good candidate to improve on a different team but I'm not $4million sure that will happen.

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
unless he starts playing better the oilers might consider not qualifying him. He is quickly slipping into the bust catagory

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
37 points in 137 games. He’s lucky to still be in the league. Usually you 100 games. If he wasn’t a top 5 pick he certainly wouldn’t be in the nhl
Correct
He is just 20 y/o. There are so many really good NHLers today in the league who weren't close to being NHL ready when they were 20 y/o. Kevin Hayes is another big kid who is doing great for the New York Rangers. Can you envision how Kevin Hayes would have looked in the NHL when he was 20 y/o? Kevin Hayes joined NYR when he was 22 y/o, he had to push himself a lot to catch up the first couple of years.

What I am missing? Why aren't that a relevant comparison?
Problem with Puljujarvi is he's trending down, his 9 points so far show he's a tweener 4th liner at best, most 4th liners do other things to stay in the league, Jesse isn't physical, he's weak along the boards and isn't good defensively. anything over league minimum would be over payment.

You might be right about Kevin Hayes as he developed in college, Puljujarvi is showing he needs to develop his game somewhere not called the NHL

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
unless he starts playing better the oilers might consider not qualifying him. He is quickly slipping into the bust catagory
Ridiculous. He's still around the one million mark just to qualify. You don't just walk away from high potential 20 year olds at this stage. Every team in the league would be trying to sign him as a reclamation project if he was released.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Wouldn't mind the Hawks poaching him.

Just offer a little more then the Oilers can afford. At least the Hawks will develop the guy and he doesn't waste away

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
@Ola really well thought out pitch. I think it makes a ton of sense. There are a few teams coming out of rebuild with cap space that it would be worth the gamble and the 2nd Rd pick is well worth it

Reactions: Ola

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I was hoping when Chiarelli was there a Petan for Puljujarvi trade would happen. But I think it's more of a long shot now. Will be interesting to see what he gets if he were to be given an offer sheet.

I'd rather keep Pulujarvi. Petan doen't do much for Edmonton, and guys like him are routinely available for mid round picks.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
We'd match anything that isn't dumb like a 6x6 or 5x5

Not a chance. You've got what, $8.5 million to sign 8 or nine players... with only 14 signed so far... and you'd match a $4 million offer sheet?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad