News: Offer sheet compensation is set for 2019 off-season

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I'd send Marner a 10.5/season offersheet. Hell make it 10,500,000.01 so we can say he earns more than Kane.

Two firsts, a second and a third? Wouldn't be a bad pick up for someone out there.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I'd send Marner a 10.5/season offersheet. Hell make it 10,500,000.01 so we can say he earns more than Kane.

Two firsts, a second and a third? Wouldn't be a bad pick up for someone out there.
Leafs would very quickly match that

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
4 1sts level for Marner or Marner doesn't sign the offer sheet.

Pretending you actually know that must be cool.
None of us has any actual facts.
I have seen people here saying he should get exactly what Matthews got.
I have seen people here saying he should get 9.3m

If that latter amount (or close) is what the Leafs are actually expecting I would venture Marner would sign (or let the Leafs know he has) a 10.5 million 5 year offer.

Last edited:

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Didn't Dubas say something along the lines of Marner not making as much as Kane?
Well I would hope that Marner making one cent more than Kane isn't the deciding factor for Dubas......

Only way there's a chance leafs don't match is if it's 4 firsts on the table. 2 1sts a second and a third is not enough for Marner, and if Dubas took the compensation for that he should be fired.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
You can't be this obtuse can you? You think the endorsement money in other cities is comparable to that he makes in Toronto? I know you want him to sign an offer sheet for whatever dumbass reason but its not happening. There is 0 chance.

What was JT and Matthews endorsement revenue compared to the league average?

AFAIK, not many players make this information available but you appear to have some insider information.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Well I would hope that Marner making one cent more than Kane isn't the deciding factor for Dubas......

Only way there's a chance leafs don't match is if it's 4 firsts on the table. 2 1sts a second and a third is not enough for Marner, and if Dubas took the compensation for that he should be fired.

Would be nice see Marner sign a 10.5 x 5yr offersheet. Just two 1sts and guarantees the Leafs are in cap hell after they match.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
That’s why I saw 4 yrs max so at end he’s a UFA.

Toronto matches they are royally ****ed the next few years.
That wouldn't be an optimal scenario for the leafs obviously, but they'd still match imo. As long as they draft well and inject youth into the lineup on ECL deals they'll be fine (the drafting part will be hard but we're off to a good start with guys like Dermott, Johnsson etc. And Marlies doing well like Bracco, Sandin etc.)

I see Johnsson/Kap getting an offer sheet more-so than Marner imo. 4 mill for either of those 2 guys would not be something the leafs can take

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

Oh I agree that would be a huge win if Dubas doesn't match. Salary would be highish though.

RyderRocks73

Jul 1, 2015
Moncton, NB
You think its smart to over pay a player while giving up 4 unprotected firsts. Well having to sign Rantanen? They're very comparable players so I'm sure he'd want the same money. It would be catastrophic for that team to do that. Lucky for them you're not their GM. Marner is the least likely of any of the Leafs to sign a offer sheet and anyone who doesn't see that is not capable of a critical thought.

They'd be fine. Especially with Varlamov and Brassard off the books. You're just scared and defensive.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Pretending you actually know that must be cool.
None of us has any actual facts.
I have seen people here saying he should get exactly what Matthews got.
I have seen people here saying he should get 9.3m

If that latter amount (or close) is what the Leafs are actually expecting I would venture Marner would sign (or let the Leafs know he has) a 10.5 million 5 year offer.

Let's think through this. Why would Marner sign an offer sheet below the 4 1sts category?

If Marner is looking for an offer sheet, there will be a bidding war for his services like a UFA. Winning that bidding war will go above $10.6M/yr, and likely involve a 6th and 7th years on the contract which will push it to 4 1sts even if the AAV is below that $10.6M level.

The team trying to sign Marner is going to want Toronto to decline to match, and I don't see any way Toronto fails to match for 2 1sts, 2nd, 3rd. So if you actually want to win Marner as an RFA, you're going to need to offer a 4 1st offer sheet.

I'm not guaranteeing Marner will sign above $10.6M/yr. But if he's willing to do that, why bother going through an offer sheet process? He will just sign a deal with Toronto and be done.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Why on earth would he sign an offer sheet with Colorodo? Even if they offer him more money his endorsements would dry up completely in Toronto and would make less overall. He would be moving away from the area he spent his entire life growing. Leaving all his friends and family. It makes no sense by any accord. He is probably the least logical player out of all RFAs to be targeted or to sign an offer sheet. Kapanen or Johansson make tonnes of sense and is very plausible. Marner none.

I still keep waiting for this new “endorsements” bonus Leaf fans have clinged onto the past couple seasons to actually make a difference...

Why aren’t all stars singing with Toronto then for pennies on the dollar? Where were the Nylander and Matthews discounts?

TryamkinPleaseReturn

Rapidly Shrinking Cult
Feb 7, 2019
Yup, Kapanen and Johansson should be targets for the Oilers and a number of teams!
3.4, 4.0, 4.5, 5.0 offersheet over 4 years. Averages 4.225 million per year, just within the limit of costing a 2nd round pick. Also takes him to right to UFA, where he'll be in line for a big payday, with his contract having risen every year. Great move for a team with cap space that needs high end prospects/players, but a very tough choice for a cap strapped team like TML.

Last edited:

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
4 1st for Marner or they match
Would Toronto not match 4 1sts?
I'm not saying they should.
And is there a team out there that would give 4 1sts for him? Is there a team out there with a deep enough prospect pool to think that Marner at 7 years would be worth losing 4 1st rounders?
Could Nashville do it? San Jose? Vegas can't.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Let's think through this. Why would Marner sign an offer sheet below the 4 1sts category?

If Marner is looking for an offer sheet, there will be a bidding war for his services like a UFA. Winning that bidding war will go above $10.6M/yr, and likely involve a 6th and 7th years on the contract which will push it to 4 1sts even if the AAV is below that $10.6M level.

Because Marner doesn’t give a shit what the Leafs’ compensation is. A 5 year deal is way more appealing to Marner than 7 or 8 IF the Leafs/Dubas have already determined they won’t pay him 10.5 per, but another team is willing to do so via an offer sheet. Will the Leafs match? More than likely, but at the end of the day he gets what he wants - be recognized as one of the best wingers in the form of a high priced contract AND get a chance for a bigger contract 5 years from that time.

The 4-5 year deals are going to become much much more popular with guys coming out of their ELC. Much easier to commit a 7-8 year deal to a 25-26year old than a 28-29 year old.

Why else did Matthews sign a 5 year deal?

Also, how can there be a “bidding war?” If the Leafs have told him he’s not getting Kane money, the first team offering 10.5 will likely be signed. It’s not like an auction or something.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida

The team trying to sign Marner is going to want Toronto to decline to match, and I don't see any way Toronto fails to match for 2 1sts, 2nd, 3rd. So if you actually want to win Marner as an RFA, you're going to need to offer a 4 1st offer sheet.

I'm not guaranteeing Marner will sign above $10.6M/yr. But if he's willing to do that, why bother going through an offer sheet process? He will just sign a deal with Toronto and be done.

Well, thinking this through, per the press Toronto is on record as saying they won't pay him Kane money (which is 10.5m).
The number for 4 1sts is +/- 10.6m.
While Marner may or may not be worth 4 "late" 1sts teams would be better able to keep adding to their roster is it's only 2+1+1.
I would expect many 10.5 ish offers from teams that have the cap and the picks because the Leafs (per them) said they won't go that high.
I expect Marner could sign and have the Leafs match.
I MORE expect his agent to go back to the Leafs and say we were offered XYZ for W years. The Marner camp now knows that instead of where the Leafs where with their offer this is now the minimum.
Increase the amount for each additional year.

I think I thought that through.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
4.2M might get some action on those good but haven’t fully blossomed players like Kapanen

Totally agree. The problem in the league is a lot of GMs overpaying/ over bidding on a lot of players just to go back to their fan base and say we went out and got the best player.

Anyone who offer sheets all these players more than a fair value should be fired.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
This is a lot of discussion for something that hardly ever happens. The last offer sheet signed was in the lockout shortened seasona nd the last one that wasn't match was 12 yers ago. I guess we're due for one though, right? Maybe?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad