News: Offer sheet compensation is set for 2019 off-season

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
As an Oilers fan I'd happily offersheet one of Kapanen/Johnsson/Labanc or someone like that for only a 2nd rounder.

I actually think offersheets in that salary space could happen this year. Multiple teams should be sending kappy/johnsson those offersheets in a heart beat. A 2nd is nothing

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I actually think offersheets in that salary space could happen this year. Multiple teams should be sending kappy/johnsson those offersheets in a heart beat. A 2nd is nothing

The issue is making a 4m dollar offer that's better than what the Leafs are likely offering and that doesn't upset the applecart in terms of destabilizing RFA cap structure. Because of his age it's much easier with Johnsson than Kapanen.

Say Leafs are offering right in the range of market value, 2.75x3 for Johnsson (Vatrano/Kase/Bjorkstrand +), 3x2 for Kapanen (Mantha/Reinhart -).

In Kapanen's case a 4x4 or 4x5 isn't that attractive, he's *likely* going to net out higher taking the bridge and signing long term at 25. going 4x2 is a fairly significant overpay, 4x3 less so.

For Johnsson though, a team willing to bet on him and roll out a 4x4, 4x5, that's going to be tempting

Last edited:

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
The issue is making a 4m dollar offer that's better than what the Leafs are likely offering and that doesn't upset the applecart in terms of destabilizing RFA cap structure. Because of his age it's much easier with Johnsson than Kapanen

Do they have the space to sign them both to a 4.2 per year deal? Honest question too.

Heck i wouldnt doubt if 1 or both get a higher offersheet thrown at them. IMO many teams would gladly give up a 1st and 3rd for Kapanen

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Back in the day, teams were allowed to work out a trade before the compensation kicked in, if the player's former team decided not to match (and decided to not take the picks). Is that rule still valid now, or do teams HAVE to accept the picks as compensation?

I believe that is how Curtis Joseph wound up in Edmonton, right? When the Blues signed Shayne Corson as an RFA, Joseph and Mike Grier wound up as Oilers. The Blues took back two of the four first rounders with that move.

There used to also be arbitration to determine valid compensation: i.e. Scott Stevens was awarded to New Jersey by an arbitrator when St. Louis signed Brendan Shanahan as an RFA. Does arbitration still exist for RFA offer sheets?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I wonder if Marner would accept a 4 year 8.4M dollar deal(which basically makes him a UFA at the end of the contract)

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I believe that is how Curtis Joseph wound up in Edmonton, right? When the Blues signed Shayne Corson as an RFA, Joseph and Mike Grier wound up as Oilers. The Blues took back two of the four first rounders with that move.

I don't see anything against this, say the compensation for a RFA you signed as a 1,2, and 3, nothing would stop Team A(whose loses the player) trading those picks back to Team B(who signed the player) for something else.

There used to also be arbitration to determine valid compensation: i.e. Scott Stevens was awarded to New Jersey by an arbitrator when St. Louis signed Brendan Shanahan as an RFA. Does arbitration still exist for RFA offer sheets?

This was the way compensation was in the early 90s, this wouldn't happen today.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Do they have the space to sign them both to a 4.2 per year deal? Honest question too.

Heck i wouldnt doubt if 1 or both get a higher offersheet thrown at them. IMO many teams would gladly give up a 1st and 3rd for Kapanen

They don't, I expanded my reasoning with an edit, based on the term of a bridge. Agreed on Kapanen, looking at Tuch/Dvorak Schmaltz it seems that there's appetite to role the dice on these guys. A team could go as high as 5.3 x6 and stay in that 1st+3rd range

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Back in the day, teams were allowed to work out a trade before the compensation kicked in, if the player's former team decided not to match (and decided to not take the picks). Is that rule still valid now, or do teams HAVE to accept the picks as compensation?

They can still work out a trade—they’d just be trading the compensation picks back for something else.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014

Neither are worth 4+ million at the current moment unless a deal is longer than 3 seasons IMO.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Is Thomas chabot worth 7years 8.4mill right now? All it will cost is a 1st 2nd and 3rd and sens might not match it

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Lol... Marner is getting $10M minimum.

Probably but you have to remember giving him a 4 year deal brings him right to UFA status the first chance he gets. All that being said Toronto probably macthes that so it probably makes no difference giving him 9.5M(ie 2 first round picks, 2nd and 3rd)

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Is Thomas chabot worth 7years 8.4mill right now? All it will cost is a 1st 2nd and 3rd and sens might not match it

Honestly, Montreal should do this.

I'd even go up to 9-10 mil and give up 2 1sts, 1 2nd, and a 3rd.

No way in hell Melnyk can match that

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
You might, but the inevitable old boy who will run the Oilers won't

right, we wouldn't want to piss anyone one off would we? but i think more realistically the Oilers will be having serious discussions about Johnsson and Kapanen this summer as well as probably Brown too and likely #8 and other considerations will be on the table.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
right, we wouldn't want to piss anyone one off would we? but i think more realistically the Oilers will be having serious discussions about Johnsson and Kapanen this summer as well as probably Brown too and likely #8 and other considerations will be on the table.

They may want those guys but they will trade for them.

A player hasn't signed an offersheet since 2013. They just dont happen in real life

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
And with Holland now running the ship in Edmonton, it’s looking much less likely that he’ll be offer sheeting anyone!

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If a team wants to offer sheet Marner, they should really tighten the screws on Toronto by hitting Kapanen and/or Johnsson first. Inflate those deals.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Going to be interesting to see what happens with Kapanen and Johnsson. I would say they are the most attractive and affordable targets in the NHL for an offer sheet, would cost a team only a 2nd rounder. Leafs will have to be listening to trade offers because they will have trouble matching with their cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad