News: Offer sheet compensation is set for 2019 off-season

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
Not a wet dream for me at all. Detroit's picks are too high to make it worth while. Colorado is the obvious choice.

You think its smart to over pay a player while giving up 4 unprotected firsts. Well having to sign Rantanen? They're very comparable players so I'm sure he'd want the same money. It would be catastrophic for that team to do that. Lucky for them you're not their GM. Marner is the least likely of any of the Leafs to sign a offer sheet and anyone who doesn't see that is not capable of a critical thought.

Reactions: The Mad Titan

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
You think its smart to over pay a player while giving up 4 unprotected firsts. Well having to sign Rantanen? They're very comparable players so I'm sure he'd want the same money. It would be catastrophic for that team to do that. Lucky for them you're not their GM. Marner is the least likely of any of the Leafs to sign a offer sheet and anyone who doesn't see that is not capable of a critical thought.

But that wouldn't quite be as stupid as signing a UFA to an $11M/year contract when you've got Nylander, Matthews, and Marner all coming up, right?

Hmm...

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

Almost like giving John Tavares a massive contract before your star center hits RFA. Or possibly allowing Nylander to hold out a couple months but paying him for the full season at a pretty high tag the season before your better player in the same position hits RFA?

Reactions: SML2

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
If you really think signing Tavares was stupid that says more about yourself then anything else lol.

I didn't say it was stupid at all. The poster I was replying to said it would be stupid for Colorado to offer sheet Marner with Rantanen coming up. I made a comparison indicating that Dubas must have also been stupid by this logic.

The fact that you couldn't grasp that very simple concept says more about yourself than anything else.

But then again, Colorado will have a much more difficult time paying Marner than the Leafs, considering MacKinnon makes less than Nylander.

Last edited:

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
Almost like giving John Tavares a massive contract before your star center hits RFA. Or possibly allowing Nylander to hold out a couple months but paying him for the full season at a pretty high tag the season before your better player in the same position hits RFA?

None of that has anything to do with Colorado signing Marner to an offer sheet or anything to do with what I said. It is completely irrelevant. And even if you think those things were stupid none of them cost 4 unprotected 1st. Thus if you think they were mistakes I guess you're agreeing with my post and you'd be beyond stupid to sign Marner to one.

>1% chance he signs an offer sheet and about the same he even sees one.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
None of that has anything to do with Colorado signing Marner to an offer sheet or anything to do with what I said. It is completely irrelevant. And even if you think those things were stupid none of them cost 4 unprotected 1st. Thus if you think they were mistakes I guess you're agreeing with my post and you'd be beyond stupid to sign Marner to one.

Whoops.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

Four unprotected 1sts would be a good argument for most teams. Which is why most teams with cap space wouldn't do it.

... Colorado + Marner is a virtual guarantee to pick 25 or lower all four of those picks.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

I just don’t think Dubas is a great GM. My post was directed at someone saying how it would be stupid for Colorado to pay Marner like that when Rantanen who he said was a fairly similar player would be wanting that type of money as well.

I think the Nylander contract was handled poorly. I don’t think the Tavares signing was dumb, although given the circumstances and the construction of the team, it may have not been the smartest decision in the world.

Reactions: bigbabybuda

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
Four unprotected 1sts would be a good argument for most teams. Which is why most teams with cap space wouldn't do it.

... Colorado + Marner is a virtual guarantee to pick 25 or lower all four of those picks.

Why on earth would he sign an offer sheet with Colorodo? Even if they offer him more money his endorsements would dry up completely in Toronto and would make less overall. He would be moving away from the area he spent his entire life growing. Leaving all his friends and family. It makes no sense by any accord. He is probably the least logical player out of all RFAs to be targeted or to sign an offer sheet. Kapanen or Johansson make tonnes of sense and is very plausible. Marner none.

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
I just don’t think Dubas is a great GM. My post was directed at someone saying how it would be stupid for Colorado to pay Marner like that when Rantanen who he said was a fairly similar player would be wanting that type of money as well.

I think the Nylander contract was handled poorly. I don’t think the Tavares signing was dumb, although given the circumstances and the construction of the team, it may have not been the smartest decision in the world.

Fair enough. I'm a Leaf fan and think he did a poor job as well with both the RFA signing so far. Tavares I'm happy with.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Why on earth would he sign an offer sheet with Colorodo? Even if they offer him more money his endorsements would dry up completely in Toronto and would make less overall. He would be moving away from the area he spent his entire life growing. Leaving all his friends and family. It makes no sense by any accord. He is probably the least logical player out of all RFAs to be targeted or to sign an offer sheet. Kapanen or Johansson make tonnes of sense and is very plausible. Marner none.

Weren't endorsements and coming back home supposed to entice Stamkos out of Tampa?

Some people care, some people don't.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
I would offer sheet both Johnson and Kapanen at 4.1 mill each.

Is that possible since we have 2 seconds, or not, because only team picks count and you cant have more than 1 Habs pick per round?

Last edited:

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Fair enough. I'm a Leaf fan and think he did a poor job as well with both the RFA signing so far. Tavares I'm happy with.
You're happy with 1 goal Tavares when it counts most?

Also if you guys do lose Marner to an OS, you will like JT less and less, unless you find another Marner caliber player to play with him.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad