OT: Off Topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty Party

Back @ The Bridge
Mar 2, 2012
Nashville
ace.mu.nu
But how did you feel about the cloth section? Most boring place ever. Only thing to look at was buttons and hope for someone to drop a spool of thread or something for entertainment.
But I did like the luncheonette--they had good hot dogs. I watched how they fried them open on the griddle and cook them that way now.

I do not even remember a toy section so it must have been really bad. I do remember getting a Romper Room "Willie the Weather Boy" colorforms set at the Woolworth's nearby with my birthday money. They were out of Wendy the Weather Girl so I made do.

I don't remember the luncheonette but the toy section was downstairs off in a corner with the baby goods or whatever.

The Woolworth was much better for this kid. Though I don't think we ever ate there.

Then you had this place over on Murfreesboro Road:

zayre.jpg

Reactions: Adz

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I don't remember the luncheonette but the toy section was downstairs off in a corner with the baby goods or whatever.

The Woolworth was much better for this kid. Though I don't think we ever ate there.

View attachment 406233
Oh, Woolworth's was a ton better for toys and I think they also had a pet section with fish and birds. I may be thinking of the one downtown, though. The luncheonette there had balloons all around it and you'd get one and puncture it and inside was your discount.

The Castner's luncheonette was downstairs to the right of the back entrance. It had rails around it, like a bannister, if memory serves. My mother loved going there for pie and still talks about it occasionally!

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
I remember a Zayre store near Atlanta, it would dream of becoming a K-Mart when it grew up! Wasn't it the one with the Blue Light special where an employee would walk around with a flashing light and people would follow to see where the 'special deal' was that hour?

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com

View attachment 406233
I could walk to Zayre, wasn't a short walk but we did it a lot. We lived by 7 oaks park most of our lives, or our grandparents did and we lived with them off and on quite a bit and every summer. Lived off Nolensville road a few different times too.

Jul 12, 2007
Man you guys are some OG Nashville characters. You must have known all the Ray Stevens songs when you were kids.

Jul 12, 2007
Haha ya hippie !
Ray Stevens was a step up from old school country. But I’ll bet he’d get wrecked today for “Ahab the Arab”.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Man you guys are some OG Nashville characters. You must have known all the Ray Stevens songs when you were kids.
Not only did I know the songs, I actually went swimming in his pool when my cousins lived across the street from him. Who's to say we weren't his inspiration?
Also, my next door neighbor was the pianist for Hank Williams Jr and he used to come to the apartments to ride his motorcycle and would give us kids rides. He was around 19, I was 9 or 10. The only time I've ever ridden a motorcycle was with HWJr.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart
Jul 12, 2007
Yeah, he was probably thinking of you when he wrote “All my crazy 9-10 year old friends are coming over tonight”.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
More amazing is that you lived to tell the tale.
Yeah, he was probably thinking of you when he wrote “All my crazy 9-10 year old friends are coming over tonight”.
True. He was definitely pushing the envelope with his speed bump jumps, but we all survived. He was the big brother we all wished we had.

Maybe...I was pretty well known for my hands free bike riding and treetop swaying ability.

@BigFatCat999 only 2/3? Jailbait Jr. is a Cadette so I bought...well, lots...and I gained enough weight that I had to hide them from myself. Tagalongs are my favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad