OT: Off Topic XXI - It's the End of the World As We Know It (and I feel fine)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Need major leaguers in the bullpen asap.
I' m not a fan of Payamps, but Castro and Mayza are good pitchers. I am wondering if Mayza is starting to experience a tired arm after missing all of last year and pitching in almost half our games.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Can we already start trash talk for tomorrows Finland - Canada final?

(yes, I know this might backfire really badly)

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Mangiapane 2+0 today so far. Canada lost 3 games without him, after he joined the team they have won every game except for the SO loss to Finland

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Can we already start trash talk for tomorrows Finland - Canada final?

(yes, I know this might backfire really badly)

Silence is the best trash talk in Finnish, right? :naughty:

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
At least Canada isn't named after a poorly written Star Wars character!

finn-star-wars-force-awakens-tv-spot-159931.jpg

May 27, 2012
Earth
I'm looking for help. I am potentially looking into getting a cycling/road bike and wonder if anyone could point me in the right direction in regards to brands, bikes to start out with, and price ranges, etc. I would appreciate it!

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I'm looking for help. I am potentially looking into getting a cycling/road bike and wonder if anyone could point me in the right direction in regards to brands, bikes to start out with, and price ranges, etc. I would appreciate it!

First question is what's your budget?

Secondly, what sort of riding are you looking to do? Bike paths? Dirt/gravel? Road? Racing? Commuting? Long distances?

May 27, 2012
Earth
First question is what's your budget?

Secondly, what sort of riding are you looking to do? Bike paths? Dirt/gravel? Road? Racing? Commuting? Long distances?

Ideally around 1000-1500. However, would spend more if needed.

It would be a combination of both road and bike paths. I have been doing 30km with a mountain bike, but it would easier with a road bike, and plan to do longer distances with a road bike. I don't plan to race or commute with it. Luckily, I don't need to travel far to get where I need to. I'd mostly use the bike for exercising purposes.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Was in your position a couple years ago. My budget was <$1000.

I got a Giant Escape - entry level hybrid bike. I had narrowed it down to either that or a Trek FX. Went with the Escape because it seemed sturdier.

Reactions: Pirate King Luffy

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Ideally around 1000-1500. However, would spend more if needed.

It would be a combination of both road and bike paths. I have been doing 30km with a mountain bike, but it would easier with a road bike, and plan to do longer distances with a road bike. I don't plan to race or commute with it. Luckily, I don't need to travel far to get where I need to. I'd mostly use the bike for exercising purposes.

That's a pretty decent budget, especially if you're willing to go used. You can usually get a lot more out of your money that way. Besides, with COVID, supplies at bike shops are incredibly low right now. Some things, especially parts, are back ordered into the next year. It's crazy.

My suggestion would be to look into getting a second hand cyclocross or gravel bike, rather than a straight up road bike. They will have mostly road components anyways, but will allow wider tires and more upright sitting position for better comfort. I have gravel, cyclocross, and road bikes and the road bike is what I ride the least by a long shot. In fact, I tend to only ride my road bike on the road just because that's the only place it seems the most comfortable. Last week I took my road bike out for a ~3 hour path/pavement ride and when it ended, I felt a lot more sore than when I did that same ride on my other bikes the week before.

I'm a big fan of Kona bikes. Originally a Canadian company with a lot of bang for your buck. I'd look for a second hand Jake or Jake the Snake (cyclocross) or Rove (gravel). I've never been without at least one Kona in my stable in the last 13 years.

Giant is also a good brand that gets you a lot of bang for your buck too. Specialized has some good bikes too. Cannondale is also a decent brand, but I'm not as big of a fan of their offerings as I am with the aforementioned.

What city do you live in and what is your height?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad