OT: Off Topic XXI - It's the End of the World As We Know It (and I feel fine)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
lmao

So, 30th anniversary of Doggystyle is leading to a new album called Missionary... it's a Dre/Snoop collab and gonna be under both Death Row and Aftermath.

Snoop Dogg always has 10 irons in the fire. But on Friday morning’s (Jan. 26) Good Morning America the Doggfather broke some news about the one iron his fans care about the most. “I can let the rabbit out the hat. I’ve been working on a record with Dr. Dre for the past 8 months. We’re about ready to drop a single in a couple weeks, so that’s what I’ve been cooking up,” Snoop told GMA‘s Michael Strahan while promoting his new Prime Video movie, The Underdoggs.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
lmao

So, 30th anniversary of Doggystyle is leading to a new album called Missionary... it's a Dre/Snoop collab and gonna be under both Death Row and Aftermath.

Snoop Dogg always has 10 irons in the fire. But on Friday morning’s (Jan. 26) Good Morning America the Doggfather broke some news about the one iron his fans care about the most. “I can let the rabbit out the hat. I’ve been working on a record with Dr. Dre for the past 8 months. We’re about ready to drop a single in a couple weeks, so that’s what I’ve been cooking up,” Snoop told GMA‘s Michael Strahan while promoting his new Prime Video movie, The Underdoggs.
Whooo that's awesome!

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
To all the Nordic posters on here....I'm renting a wood fired barrel sauna. I'm not hardcore sauna, but thought it would be cool to try with family & friends.
I originally was thinking we'd have a bunch of drinks and food, but reading about how to properly sauna, apparently that is the exact opposite of what you should do!

Any sauna fanatics on here? What are your routines?

Reactions: Kahvi

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
To all the Nordic posters on here....I'm renting a wood fired barrel sauna. I'm not hardcore sauna, but thought it would be cool to try with family & friends.
I originally was thinking we'd have a bunch of drinks and food, but reading about how to properly sauna, apparently that is the exact opposite of what you should do!

Any sauna fanatics on here? What are your routines?
Food and drinks are ok, nothing wrong with that. Drinking in the sauna is ok, but I'd eat after the sauna session, not during. A good sauna will increase your appetite.

As a social event, a proper sauna evening with friends in Finland is probably something like a tailgate before a football game in USA, not sure what I could compare it with in Canada.

A standard "sauna cycle" is shower, sauna, cooling (lake / shower / ouside), repeat as many times as you want. Drinking beer, water, or soft drinks in sauna or while cooling off is common here. Just don't take anything that is made of glass to sauna. So heat up the barrel sauna, take a beer, go inside and enjoy the heat, go outside to cool off and enjoy another beer. Take a shower if possible, go back to sauna and enjoy a beer. Drink some water to prevent dehydration. After few of those cycles and more beer, take a shower, cool off, dry yourself and put clothes on. You feel hungry, so hopefully you have some burgers or hotdogs on the grill waiting for you. And some cold beer. After eating, if you feel like it, start sauna again. Or divide the group into two or more, first group can enjoy sauna and then come to the food made by others, and then change roles.

I sometimes see instructions for sauna written by NA sauna "experts", who say that you have to stay this many minutes in this high heat, and do this and that, to make sure you get all the health benefits. That all bullshits, taking a sauna is all about relaxing and doing it the way you want. All those rules just increase your stress instead. Of course it's good to understand the basics. Drink some water to stay hydrated, stay in sauna as long as you feel like, cool off, go back to sauna.

I think I'd need to write a novel to explain everything, so this is just a brief summary.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fig and FLAMESFAN

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Thanks man, you got me excited now - this is pretty much what we've got planned for the next couple days! It should be showing up any minute now.....

Reactions: Fig and Kahvi

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
The true sauna experience requires being nekkid
I'm def not getting naked around my kids friends & their parents (lastnight), or my mom & neighbors (today/tonight) lol
I'll probably try a solo round tonight though
Hey @Kahvi , lastnight I cranked up the steam hard in 1 session....when I came back in the house I had spots all over my arms, looked like I had measels! It went away after an hour or so though.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Strange, never had anything like that. Maybe your skin reacted to the sweating, so try a quick shower before and after you go to heat. Better to go heat when your skin is moist, and good to rinse sweat after, before cooling.

or maybe that's just because your blood pressure rises and body temperature is higher, anyway nothing I'd worry too much.

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I'm def not getting naked around my kids friends & their parents (lastnight), or my mom & neighbors (today/tonight) lol
I'll probably try a solo round tonight though
Hey @Kahvi , lastnight I cranked up the steam hard in 1 session....when I came back in the house I had spots all over my arms, looked like I had measels! It went away after an hour or so though.
Heat rash situation maybe?

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Heat rash situation maybe?
Ya, likley

Sauna is getting picked up soon. Must have done 20 sessions in the 2 days I had it. Had a bunch of people over to try it out & had a great time.
I love the wood fired ones, but after a few hours of straight burning they get hot....almost too hot to put any water/steam on.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I love the wood fired ones, but after a few hours of straight burning they get hot....almost too hot to put any water/steam on.
You just need to keep the fire at right level. After the initial heating, the fire doesn't need to burn at full power. But I guess it takes some time to learn that.

Since I moved about a year ago, I dont have a sauna in my apartment anymore. Only 1 hour per week in the sauna that this building has. 13€ / month, not bad, and it's on Fridays. Actually about 1 hour and it's my turn to go.

Reactions: Fig and FLAMESFAN

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
You just need to keep the fire at right level. After the initial heating, the fire doesn't need to burn at full power. But I guess it takes some time to learn that.

Since I moved about a year ago, I dont have a sauna in my apartment anymore. Only 1 hour per week in the sauna that this building has. 13€ / month, not bad, and it's on Fridays. Actually about 1 hour and it's my turn to go.
Ya, I'm definitley guilty of loading the firebox\
I'll probably rent it again in the fall, just before taking down the steel frame pool so the water will be cold. Perfect for jumping into after a sauna!

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I've seen all my friends naked. Yes, literally everyone of them. Going to sauna with friends here is like having a beer at bar with friends. Same for a lot of my relatives and family.

But of course that's a cultural thing, and personally I wouldn't expect someone from NA to go sauna naked if they feel uncomfortable with it.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I've seen all my friends naked. Yes, literally everyone of them. Going to sauna with friends here is like having a beer at bar with friends. Same for a lot of my relatives and family.

But of course that's a cultural thing, and personally I wouldn't expect someone from NA to go sauna naked if they feel uncomfortable with it.
I remembered us having this conversation before, which is why I was teasing about the naked thing.

Reactions: Kahvi

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
It'll be a lot nicer once I am not as busy and I can get a bit more than 5-6 hours or less a day of sleep. Cheers friends!

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad