OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic Thread: Work sucks, I know

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
I take a collegen pill (veggie based) every morning and it 100% helps. I have SI joint dysfunction from a number of injuries to my left leg so when it rains, they all let me know it lol.

I have been looking into magnesium suppliments so I will look into this :)

I just started the Omo app that mixes food and exercise tracking and intermittent fasting. I just have to scan the label of my food and for the most part it recognizes it and you can set your fasting times to whatever fits you. I'm doing 13:11 so I eat from 8am-7pm and then fast until 8am the next day.
check out curcumin too ali

check out curcumin too ali
(the active compound in turmeric)

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
It was heart meds no?

Yes. Weird case. Zero known performance benefit to be gained from trimetazidine,. especially for a figure skater. Even if the contamination claim is bogus and Valieva was indeed given it deliberately, it's difficult to see why. It's Russia though so who knows?

End of the day it's a prohibited substance so the decision to ban her is correct, but I don't think it says anything about her merits as a skater or the fairness of the competitions she's competed in.

Reactions: Gordoff

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Yes. Weird case. Zero known performance benefit to be gained from trimetazidine,. especially for a figure skater. Even if the contamination claim is bogus and Valieva was indeed given it deliberately, it's difficult to see why. It's Russia though so who knows?

End of the day it's a prohibited substance so the decision to ban her is correct, but I don't think it says anything about her merits as a skater or the fairness of the competitions she's competed in.
I feel bad for these child skaters. Their coaches do NOT care about them. They'll make them take anything. They are consistently abused. They have no choice. It's a very sad situation and until they can stop this obvious abuse by these coaches on these literal children, nothing will change.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I feel bad for these child skaters. Their coaches do NOT care about them. They'll make them take anything. They are consistently abused. They have no choice. It's a very sad situation and until they can stop this obvious abuse by these coaches on these literal children, nothing will change.
This is so true. Not quite the same but one of my best friends was a top gymnast in Canada back in the 1970s. Sadly she had a fall before the 1976 Olympics and couldn't compete. The team got a new coach and without consulting her (she would have been 15), he announced to the team (in front of her) that she was no longer a member and was retiring - she had no knowledge of it beforehand. It devastated her and she actually brought this up to me a couple of weeks ago, it still haunts her.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
NeelyDan's Monday One:

What type of Natural "Disaster" are you most fascinated (or scared of etc) with - i.e. hurricanes, tornadoes, asteroid collisions, volcanoes, earthquakes, floods, avalanches, sun going nova, a new Ice Age, tsunami, you get the idea

tornadoes for sure. Never seen one in person, but I have had lucid dreams about them ever since I was about 10 years old.

Reactions: caz16 and NeelyDan

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
This is so true. Not quite the same but one of my best friends was a top gymnast in Canada back in the 1970s. Sadly she had a fall before the 1976 Olympics and couldn't compete. The team got a new coach and without consulting her (she would have been 15), he announced to the team (in front of her) that she was no longer a member and was retiring - she had no knowledge of it beforehand. It devastated her and she actually brought this up to me a couple of weeks ago, it still haunts her.
Heartbreaking. Sadly, not surprising. :(

Reactions: Gordoff and caz16

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Major wildfires, for the simple reason that they're the most likely thing to happen in my state, the most destructive and dangerous to life - I know people who have been killed in fires - and part of my job involves emergency response so if one does happen I'll be in an operational control center helping to help coordinate evacuations, road closures, mapping, personnel deployments, logistics etc.

They can spread so fast and reach incredible sizes and intensities. Fortunately in my side of the state we've only had one semi-serious wildfire in the last 14 years, but it is only a matter of time 'til the next one. So far this summer has again been fairly mild and wet, so we're looking ok on that front so far.
Wildfires for me as well. My wife is from Santa Barbara and she lost her car to one (and almost her life) trying to get a bunch of people out of a restaurant she worked at as a fire came down the mountain They move FAST and they shift with the wind.

Our first apartment we lived in together in Tierrasanta burned in a wildfire as well. Thankfully, we moved out about 6 years before… Found out about it, watching the national news. They were taping a segment from what was our parking lot, in front of the smoldering ruins. That was 20 years ago this past October.

Ive been through floods, tornados and up to Cat 2 hurricanes. Nothing compares to wildfires.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: BMC and caz16

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
zzzpp.jpg

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I take a collegen pill (veggie based) every morning and it 100% helps. I have SI joint dysfunction from a number of injuries to my left leg so when it rains, they all let me know it lol.

I have been looking into magnesium suppliments so I will look into this :)

I just started the Omo app that mixes food and exercise tracking and intermittent fasting. I just have to scan the label of my food and for the most part it recognizes it and you can set your fasting times to whatever fits you. I'm doing 13:11 so I eat from 8am-7pm and then fast until 8am the next day.
Speaking of apps, try the free app called "Yuka" it grades foods, home cleaning etc products for purity etc.

Reactions: Alicat

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Much needed snow day today to let the work situation breathe.

I’ve requested a meeting with my boss and his boss to put my cards in the table in “an open, honest conversation”.

I’ll go about it the right way and let the chips fall where they may.

When I look at my little boy, it puts it all in perspective.

Sincere good luck, whatever happens.

Sending the good thought,

:thumbu:

Reactions: smithformeragent

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Major wildfires, for the simple reason that they're the most likely thing to happen in my state, the most destructive and dangerous to life - I know people who have been killed in fires - and part of my job involves emergency response so if one does happen I'll be in an operational control center helping to coordinate evacuations, road closures, mapping, personnel deployments, logistics etc.

They can spread so fast and reach incredible sizes and intensities. Fortunately in my side of the state we've only had one semi-serious wildfire in the last 14 years, but it is only a matter of time 'til the next one. So far this summer has again been fairly mild and wet, so we're looking ok on that front so far.
Wildfires are scary. My daughter lives in California and I always tell her I would rather a blizzard than a fire.

Tornadoes also scare me.

Reactions: caz16

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Every since losing my Louie, I've been looking at PetFinder (online shelters) looking at dogs. I just feel like there's a missing piece. My other dog she's 14. And I feel like she needs a friend. Heck, I need one.

I saw this guy just now and it's taking everything in me not to send in an application.

View attachment 812416

Someone talk me off the ledge :help:

Turns out, he was already adopted.

:(

Guess it wasn't meant to be.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

Whether it actually helps or not some Russian adults clearly thought it would. No reason for her to be on it, and their story as to how it got in her system was truly laughable.

Poor kid.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617

Whether it actually helps or not some Russian adults clearly thought it would. No reason for her to be on it, and their story as to how it got in her system was truly laughable.

Poor kid.
The abuses that those coaches inflict on these children is absolutely sickening. It's been happening for decades upon decades. These kids can't consent or say no. They have no choice. I feel so bad for these kids. The coaches continue to get away with it and move on to new, younger children over and over again.

The IOC will always turn a blind eye.

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
So do I.

What's that got to do with the Lions? They are never going to have pink hat fans. In the same way that Bruins fans rarely wear pink, metaphorically.
I live in mid -Michigan and for the last two weeks nothing but Lions Lions Lions. Went to the Grand Rapids Griffins games this past weekend and the idiots were chanting the quarterback's name. The local news station did almost the whole broadcast about Lions stuff...never any hockey. Do they chant 'Dylan Larkin' at Ford Field? Doubt it.

I do like their coach.... Metallica fan!!!

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Poor kid.

Indeed. Use seemingly based on very flimsy evidence and holding considerable risk. Such a shame. Valieva is clearly incredibly talented, regardless of what she's been given to ingest. Talent wasted through the stupidity of others.

Reactions: EverettMike and BMC

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Wildfires for me as well. My wife is from Santa Barbara and she lost her car to one (and almost her life) trying to get a bunch of people out of a restaurant she worked at as a fire came down the mountain They move FAST and they shift with the wind.

Our first apartment we lived in together in Tierrasanta burned in a wildfire as well. Thankfully, we moved out about 6 years before… Found out about it, watching the national news. They were taping a segment from what was our parking lot, in front of the smoldering ruins. That was 20 years ago this past October.

Ive been through floods, tornados and up to Cat 2 hurricanes. Nothing compares to wildfires.

Very true. People often have less time to escape than they think. The heat, sound, darkness, spontaneous combustion, complete disorientation, acres of forest and everything in their path destroyed in a matter of minutes, all very scary. One pic from a catastrophic fire here 15 years ago has always stuck with me as giving a glimpse at the sheer scale of these things:

1706615029644.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad