twitter.com
grandpa-abe-exit.gif

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Tuesday Two:

(Brought to you by NeelyDan’s ASIST course)

1. Is suicide wrong?
2. People have a right to suicide - agree or disagree?

(They can’t all be easy folks!)

I am in noway in a position to judge. In my lifetime Ive had two friends and a cousin take their own lives. All 3 fought their demons until they no longer could do So.

Additionally, we have had dear friends right here on this board as well as family members take their own lives recently. So I advise deep thought or bypassing the question if it brings hurt to those here.

Last edited:

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
Tuesday Two:

1. Is suicide wrong?

I used to have strong opinions on the matter but now? Who knows. I do feel bad for the families/parents. I know I would empty my bank account to get my kids help but most probably dont know until its too late.

Reactions: NeelyDan

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Tuesday Two:

1. Is suicide wrong?

1) No

2) Agree, we have no right to dictate that someone has to live in either severe mental pain or physical pain. that is torturous and selfish. I wish we could prevent it and sometimes we can but sometimes it can't be prevented no matter what we do.

Both of these are black and white to me, there are no grey areas. My life has been torn apart by suicide but I understand that sometimes it is the only choice for the person. May I add that my mother's face was the most peaceful I have ever seen, it is what gives me peace that she went to a better place and no longer suffers.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
1) No

2) Agree, we have no right to dictate that someone has to live in either severe mental pain or physical pain. that is torturous and selfish. I wish we could prevent it and sometimes we can but sometimes it can't be prevented no matter what we do.

Both of these are black and white to me, there are no grey areas. My life has been torn apart by suicide but I understand that sometimes it is the only choice for the person. May I add that my mother's face was the most peaceful I have ever seen, it is what gives me peace that she went to a better place and no longer suffers.
This is where I stand on the questions. In the end, as painful as it is to those they've left behind, knowing that the person is finally at peace provides a sense of comfort and allows us to begin a new normal.

My cousin attempted suicide years ago and thankfully survived. He was able to get the care he needed in order to get on the path to recovery. It sure hasn't been easy and we aren't super close but I am glad he's still here.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
1. No.

2. Agree, in terms of a person's right to choose their own actions. But I don't think the ability of people to do so via legislated medical assistance should be absolute. There should to be a rigorous system in place that is careful and compassionate and as far as possible not open to abuse. Some of what is currently permissible in the Low Countries and Canada makes me uneasy.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Tuesday Two:

1. Is suicide wrong?
When I was a teenager, my brothers, my friend Steve and I used to fish at an old gravel pit that had filled in with water. The trees had grown in all around it and you had to hike down a path to get there. It was like a mini lake in the middle of the woods. I’d sit in the shade all day with my line in the water without a care in the world with my family and my best friend. It was idyllic.

William Howard Taft, Susan Sontag and John Elway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
When I was a teenager, my brothers, my friend Steve and I used to fish at an old gravel pit that had filled in with water. The trees had grown in all around it and you had to hike down a path to get there. It was like a mini lake in the middle of the woods. I’d sit in the shade all day with my line in the water without a care in the world with my family and my best friend. It was idyllic.

You know, that's probably as good an answer as any.

Oh for the days of idle and carefree youth, swiftly passed and never to return, and cherished all the more thereby.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
You know, that's probably as good an answer as any.

Oh for the days of idle and carefree youth, swiftly passed and never to return, and cherished all the more thereby.
Every now and again, I wake up in the morning and decide that I am going to spend the day as I see fit. I don’t worry about work, I do what I want, go where I want, and buy what I want. I do this about once a month and sometimes more often in the summertime. I have the money and privileges of an adult, and let my teenage self run amok for the day. It’s glorious.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
With all genuine due respect:

I understand not wanting to share - and to be honest, I should perhaps have included language supporting that decision in asking these questions to begin with.

I can’t say i understand the motivation behind declaring you don’t want to, rather than simply bypassing - and on a level I’m disappointed because (and this was a central theme in the course I’m taking so full transparency that’s partially fuelling this response) allowing discomfort to dictate silence, for me, at best does nothing to defeat stigma and at worst actively strengthens stigma. That said, nobody should be feel obligated at the same time.

I’d encourage people to challenge their thought patterns regardless, as they can sometimes be rooted in that stigma even unknowingly. Openly discussing mental health issues is fundamental to normalizing them.

There remains far too much shame attached to suicidal thoughts, and hiding (without suggesting anyone here is doing so) can contribute to normalizing that shame.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Why is that? And why is it funny? We’re about tearing down stigma here

I think this response is how I feel.
This is getting into dangerous political and theological territory. I'm not touching that third rail.

I'm not trying to get in trouble or have someone be offended by what I believe or say. Or some people not being respectful of others thoughts, feelings, and opinions. Or any other issues. It's a good question to ask no doubt. Maybe not on a message board where things can get messy!

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
I think this response is how I feel.

I'm not trying to get in trouble or have someone be offended by what I believe or say. Or some people not being respectful of others thoughts, feelings, and opinions. Or any other issues. It's a good question to ask no doubt. Maybe not on a message board where things can get messy!
Again, respectfully, I couldn’t disagree more with the idea that a place that provides the comfort of anonymity is an inappropriate place.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Again, respectfully, I couldn’t disagree more with the idea that a place that provides the comfort of anonymity is an inappropriate place.

Key here is that there are a lot of us who know eachother outside of this place, or know of each other. Whatever I say on here, I'll say it to your face. I have no problem with that. But in terms of question you poised, there are political and theological issues regarding that question for me personally, and I know how some on here feel about discussing religion in general. I'm trying to respect others and not inadvertently get myself in trouble.

I'm just trying to be respectful. That's all.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Tuesday Two:

1. Is suicide wrong?

I have had mixed feelings over the years.

I USED to think it was selfish but that was years ago before I knew people who have decided to end their own life this way.

When folks are so unwell with no good ending but suffering and misery I believe in Death with Dignity. Some states now have this.. I believe Maine and Vermont. Mass and NH will decide this year.

It is a very tough question, and every case is different.

We have lost (as Wally posted) a couple of excellent HF folks. I know some here (including myself) were left wishing we could have done something to help and prevent this.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
1. I don’t know
2. See number 1

I’m thankful that I don’t understand it. It seems so foreign to me that somebody wouldn’t want to be alive and breathing. I can’t imagine how bad it’s gotta get where somebody wouldn’t want this. That’s a level of despair that my simple mind cannot get to.

So, i don’t know.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I think it’s an interesting, thought-provoking question and I’d love to engage in thoughtful discussion on the subject.

Given the rules that govern this board and how quickly conversations get shut down because some people can’t help but cross the known line, to me, that’s the issue more than the content of the question or any associated stigma.

There’s been a ton of current events that I’d love to discuss here as I think this crew has a good mix of familiarity and anonymity (if that makes any sense). But we just…can’t.

It’s a great question for a message board, but probably not one with rules that we’ve agreed to abide by here.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Yeah...I do not get anyone posting lol on this subject
Well my "lol" was referring to Mike's gif, not the subject.

And as we can see, even with that small thing, it's been misconstrued as me laughing at the subject. Hence why I won't participate in the question. Especially on a forum like this. Just not the right place for it.

Reactions: RoccoF14
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad