OT: Off-Topic Thread-With each New Year.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
I'm going to the chiropractor for the first time on Tuesday and while I'm excited, I'm a bit nervous as well as skeptical. For those who have gone to one, what can I expect?

I'm going for my hips and shoulders.

I worked for one and have been with him (as a patient) for close to 12 years. Relaxing is key. Just let your body go soft...dont hold any resistance. There are 2 types of chiros...activator: where they use a small bullet shaped device to move you and hands on....where it's just the doc moving you. Mine is hands on....He will realign your nervous system with a series of movements...you will hear noise, its nothing to be concerned about. He/she will explain to you if you ask.

Overall...drink lots of water after your adjustment.

I honestly could not function without mine. Hes seen me at my worst with migraines...I've barfed on him and in his office. I hv him on speed text. About 3 weeks ago I had a migraine at 4am..I texted him. He couldnt see me till 10, but he consoled me a bit and if itd been an emergency hed have seen me.

The human nervous system is wildly complex.

you'll do great

Last edited:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I went many moons ago after a motorcycle accident. My back was messed up. Out of alignment and muscles that were in spasm because of it.

Expect your body to make sounds you didnt think possible . Like cracking your knuckles times 10. No pain though.

It did provide some relief in tandem with PT.

Good luck.

Thanks! I'm pretty much in the same boat but my issues stem from my 3 ankle injuries. I hurt my knee last year due to my IT band being extremely tight. It felt great with PT but that was 6 months 2x a week and it didn't do anything to realign my hips.

I'm really hoping for an adjustment in my hips and shoulders since they are beyond tense.

If he/she says:

1) Don't mind the webcam, it's for training purposes only.

2) Please disrobe completely, then put on this bikini.

3) Gets out a bottle of massage oil

Don't walk..run to the nearest exit.

:laugh:

Seriously, I know people that have gone (never myself), some swear by them and some consider them quacks. So basically, I have not helped you at all.

HAHAHA! You made me laugh so in a way you did help me.

This would only happen in a practice run by Lonnie and Lou :laugh:

I worked for one and have been with him for close to 12 years. Relaxing is key. Just let your body go soft...dont hold any resistance. There are 2 types of chiros...activator: where they use a small bullet shaped device to move you and hands on....where it's just the doc moving you. Mine is hands on....He will realign your nervous system with a series of movements...you will hear noise, its nothing to be concerned about. He/she will explain to you if you ask.

Overall...drink lots of water after your adjustment.

I honestly could not function without mine. Hes seen me at my worst with migraines...I've barfed on him and in his office. I hv him on speed text. About 3 weeks ago I had a migraine at 4am..I texted him. He couldnt see me till 10, but he consoled me a bit and if itd been an emergency hed have seen me.

The human nervous system is wildly complex.

you'll do great

Thanks! Definitely need to really hydrate before and after which is hard because I don't drink enough water as it is.

I'm hoping that with an alignment, I will feel much better especially as the day goes on.

I figured I'd try a chiro first to fix issues before I go try acupuncture.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Thanks! I'm pretty much in the same boat but my issues stem from my 3 ankle injuries. I hurt my knee last year due to my IT band being extremely tight. It felt great with PT but that was 6 months 2x a week and it didn't do anything to realign my hips.

I'm really hoping for an adjustment in my hips and shoulders since they are beyond tense.

Thanks! Definitely need to really hydrate before and after which is hard because I don't drink enough water as it is.

I'm hoping that with an alignment, I will feel much better especially as the day goes on.

That's not true at all. Neither Lou nor myself would ever offer a bikini to our patients....:naughty:

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

I went to one 4 days a week for 3 years and got no relief,ended up with neck surgery. They simply cannot reverse some things. As soon as you move on with your day,gravity once again takes over.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
I went to one 4 days a week for 3 years and got no relief,ended up with neck surgery. They simply cannot reverse some things. As soon as you move on with your day,gravity once again takes over.

agree. They are great for some things and not so good for others. Also depends on the Chiro individually. I have been to some really really good ones that help a lot and also some really bad ones that I ended up in more pain after the visit.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
agree. They are great for some things and not so good for others. Also depends on the Chiro individually. I have been to some really really good ones that help a lot and also some really bad ones that I ended up in more pain after the visit.

I'm really dubious about it. A couple of adjustments done in seconds is supposed to counteract the effects of gravity and movement the other 23.75 hours. Some studies claim that adjustments last until the moment you move again.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
My chiro is fantastic...

Adjustment, electric stim, Acupuncture and massage..

The thing is, whatever is going on is going to keep going back and re-tightening up unless you go a couple times a week for a month or two.

Then you need to strengthen the area and do things different such as changing around your workstation or getting ergonomic keyboards or a mouse.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
I'm really dubious about it. A couple of adjustments done in seconds is supposed to counteract the effects of gravity and movement the other 23.75 hours. Some studies claim that adjustments last until the moment you move again.

I have heard the studies on both sides. I just know that after having a broken back and some other spine injuries that some days I can hardly move my back and other days it is 100% fine.

I also know that for me there were days I couldn't move until after I went to get an adjustment and then I was great right after.

There have also been times that I felt good then got an adjustment and was in pain after.

not sure what is science/fact and what is not but I do know that personally it has helped me more then hurt me in the past.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
My chiro is fantastic...

Adjustment, electric stim, Acupuncture and massage..

The thing is, whatever is going on is going to keep going back and re-tightening up unless you go a couple times a week for a month or two.

Then you need to strengthen the area and do things different such as changing around your workstation or getting ergonomic keyboards or a mouse.

I have had the electric stim before and it was great on my back. Chiro couldn't believe how high of a setting I thought felt good though must of thought I was into that sort of thing :laugh:

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I have heard the studies on both sides. I just know that after having a broken back and some other spine injuries that some days I can hardly move my back and other days it is 100% fine.

I also know that for me there were days I couldn't move until after I went to get an adjustment and then I was great right after.

There have also been times that I felt good then got an adjustment and was in pain after.

not sure what is science/fact and what is not but I do know that personally it has helped me more then hurt me in the past.

It neither helped or hurt me. He and I became friends as we both played hockey. He has a thriving practice,I'm just a skeptic. We're talking about permanently overcoming the forces of tendons and ligaments with a simple push. I don't know.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
It neither helped or hurt me. He and I became friends as we both played hockey. He has a thriving practice,I'm just a skeptic. We're talking about permanently overcoming the forces of tendons and ligaments with a simple push. I don't know.

i hear you and I don't think it is a perm fix at all. I think it is short term relief which was fine for me with the pain I was in.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

Jesus Christ don't give those two any ideas :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

On a serious note- my father went to a chiro for years when he had problems with his back. It did give him some relief but not a permanent fix.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I know it right. Usually restraints and Lonnie in the same post means something totally different.

I have to say, I was going to say something eerily similar until I scrolled down and saw you already had...:laugh:

And for the record, who the **** uses "deeper" as a safe word besides you? :naughty:

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
I have to say, I was going to say something eerily similar until I scrolled down and saw you already had...:laugh:

And for the record, who the **** uses "deeper" as a safe word besides you? :naughty:

well since it was the only word on the safe word list that you provided, did I really have a choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad