OT: Off Topic thread: Sirquacksalot Does Not Respond Well to Spooky Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
So I walked in to my bosses office today to ask for a raise because I got my Masters recently and it was negotiated when I was hired, but prior to her being hired. I've literally talked to her twice in two months, and we don't even exchange cordial "hellos" or any sort of greetings in the hallway. She knows nothing about my field nor what I do, however, she does approve my timecard without question, and gives me the time off that I request also without question which is a perfect scenario. Scared I've put myself, "on the map"...but I want and deserve that raise! I expressed how I wanted to go through the "chain of command" yada yada, and she replied with, "I'll let HR know and then let you know what sort of documentation that we need." Knowing my company, it will be brushed aside, therefore you wise hfboard guru's, how soon should I follow up with her?

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
So I walked in to my bosses office today to ask for a raise because I got my Masters recently and it was negotiated when I was hired, but prior to her being hired. I've literally talked to her twice in two months, and we don't even exchange cordial "hellos" or any sort of greetings in the hallway. She knows nothing about my field nor what I do, however, she does approve my timecard without question, and gives me the time off that I request also without question which is a perfect scenario. Scared I've put myself, "on the map"...but I want and deserve that raise! I expressed how I wanted to go through the "chain of command" yada yada, and she replied with, "I'll let HR know and then let you know what sort of documentation that we need." Knowing my company, it will be brushed aside, therefore you wise hfboard guru's, how soon should I follow up with her?

Two things. First, memorialize your conversation in an email. "Just wanted to let you know I really appreciated that you acknowledged my accomplishment and agreed that I deserved the raise we discussed back when I was hired. It means a lot to have an employer that follows through like that." Or whatever.

Second, follow up with her in a week. A week is too soon for there to be any movement, but it'll demonstrate to her that her words are not enough to make you go away happy, and that you might just make yourself annoying if she doesn't do what she's supposed to do.

TesseracT

Go Ducks! Go Huskies!
May 29, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Perfect timing. I found this, a list of the 28 least popular english words. While it's not quite as good as my other method, it seems to me that you could create pretty perfect metal band names by combining any two of them.

Examples:
Clogged Panties
Moist Pustule
Fetus Yolk (wow!)
Lugubrious Orifice
Phlegm Squirt

etc.

Haha. Your system works quite well for Brutal Death Metal. Not so much for Technical Death Metal which is what Revocation and Archspire are. Geez, B-Dub, know your damn metal sub-genres already!!!

TesseracT

Go Ducks! Go Huskies!
May 29, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Stop using the weather as an excuse not to walk your dog.

That list is hilarious, how is moist number one? :laugh:

I'm not! I love taking him out - especially when I'm in NYC and can walk down to Central Park. Central Park is doable with him when the temps are cool. When it's 95 and humid, we'd reach the park and have to turn around because he'd be miserable. Then there's the issue of how hot the pavement is. :(

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
I'm not! I love taking him out - especially when I'm in NYC and can walk down to Central Park. Central Park is doable with him when the temps are cool. When it's 95 and humid, we'd reach the park and have to turn around because he'd be miserable. Then there's the issue of how hot the pavement is. :(
Doggie booties.

Or you could get a man's dog. :sarcasm:

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC
Lol... the canadians let me into their country

giphy.gif

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Two things. First, memorialize your conversation in an email. "Just wanted to let you know I really appreciated that you acknowledged my accomplishment and agreed that I deserved the raise we discussed back when I was hired. It means a lot to have an employer that follows through like that." Or whatever.

Second, follow up with her in a week. A week is too soon for there to be any movement, but it'll demonstrate to her that her words are not enough to make you go away happy, and that you might just make yourself annoying if she doesn't do what she's supposed to do.

I like it. :handclap: Appreciate the advice, I've never asked for a raise without it being because I'm thinking about taking another job offer. :laugh:

DaDucks*

Cam F.

Or Mike Babcock forgot something back in Detriot

Or Eminem....

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA

I like it. :handclap: Appreciate the advice, I've never asked for a raise without it being because I'm thinking about taking another job offer. :laugh:

I will second Mr. Wits, this is great advice. I don't exactly remember how it went when I went to my boss and asked for a raise but it definitely wasn't next day or even within a week. Your boss will go to his/her boss, who will go through their boss, and then HR.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I will second Mr. Wits, this is great advice. I don't exactly remember how it went when I went to my boss and asked for a raise but it definitely wasn't next day or even within a week. Your boss will go to his/her boss, who will go through their boss, and then HR.

Hardest part about asking for a raise is overcoming modesty. Second-hardest is making yourself a nuisance when management/HR drags ass.

Ha! I love my 25 pound doge. It's funny to see people's reactions when I walk him with my mom's 100+ pound Akita.

Is the Akita's name Kurosawa? I think that would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad