OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic 2020 part XX - Neil Peart, drummer and primary lyricist for Rush, dead at 67

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
My brother brought me this medicine. Even though it's a caplet you swallow, it has a VapoRub aftertaste. At least it tastes like VapoRub smells, if that makes any sense. :help:

20191228_165855.jpg

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
MJOYG5PFUBERPH652C4QLDZBO4.jpg

Lee Mendelson, the producer who changed the face of the holidays when he brought “A Charlie Brown Christmas” to television in 1965 and wrote the lyrics to its signature song, “Christmas Time Is Here,” died on Christmas day, his son said.

Mendelson, who won a dozen Emmys in his long career, died at his home in Hillsborough, California, of congestive heart failure at age 86 after a long struggle with lung cancer, son Jason Mendelson told The Associated Press.

Lee Mendelson headed a team that included “Peanuts” author Charles Schulz, director Bill Melendez, and pianist and composer Vince Guaraldi, whose music for the show, including the opening “Christmas Time Is Here,” has become as much a Christmas staple as the show itself.

R.I.P. Lee. Just speaking about mental health and depression as we have been, Schulz, who had his own lifelong struggles with low self-esteem, was utterly remarkable in creating a lead comic strip character who was a child battling depression, failure, self-worth and loneliness, and finding humor in this kid's daily life and challenges without shying away from genuine insights and acknowledgement of the realities of these issues. All done at a time well before mental health became a much more public and openly talked about and understood topic.

Mendelson was brilliant in translating this to animated form, helping to create stories and music that were entertaining and child-friendly without ever avoiding the true nature of Charlie Brown and the other characters and the flaws and struggles that were integral to their identities in the strip. Charlie Brown was an inspiration and was so readable/watchable to so many not because he had classic Hollywood success in his stories but because he tried, grappled, failed, and then got right back up and tried again.

Both Schulz and Mendelson were true revolutionaries not only in art/media, but in their ability to introduce a whole new dynamic to characterization and storytelling in comics and family programming.

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
I want to apologize if I’m not my bubbly old self. The last 72 hours have been hard.

Erin, the lady who took her children’s and own life Christmas day was a coworker of mine.
We werent real close but did do a project together back in the day.
I just cant get my head around it. Just cant. Those poor babies.

I think all of us at the company are just shell shocked.
Blessings to you Wally...

Reactions: Gee Wally

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Schulz, who had his own lifelong struggles with low self-esteem, was utterly remarkable in creating a lead comic strip character who was a child battling depression, failure, self-worth and loneliness, and finding humor in this kid's daily life and challenges without shying away from genuine insights and acknowledgement of the realities of these issues.

Schulz also inspired Mike Judge, who essentially did the same thing.
222px-Beavis_BeavisandButtHead.png

;)

Kidding aside, Mendelson is prominently featured on the bonus features of the Peanuts Holiday 3-Pack DVD (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas). He gives great insight into the making of each classic, along with the late, great Bill Melendez.

They had a great team with Schulz and the MVP Vince Guaraldi.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
A friend of mine in California posted on Facebook that she went to buy deodorant at Walmart and they had it locked up, like the razor blades. :huh: She asked an associate if people were stealing deodorant now, and they said stealing wasn't the issue.......

People had been coming in, using it, and putting it back on the shelf.

o_O

3MC2ZFkYPmx8c.gif

:help:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I can't believe it's been 4 years since my dad passed away.

some days it feels like a lifetime ago and some days it feels like it happened yesterday.

I had hoped things would get easier as time went on but that's just not the case. I'm still not ok and I'm not sure I'll ever be ok.

What I do know is that I would have never gotten through it without this place and the amazing posters who reached out or who I saw in person and for that I will be eternally grateful.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008

some days it feels like a lifetime ago and some days it feels like it happened yesterday.

I had hoped things would get easier as time went on but that's just not the case. I'm still not ok and I'm not sure I'll ever be ok.

What I do know is that I would have never gotten through it without this place and the amazing posters who reached out or who I saw in person and for that I will be eternally grateful.

My mother passed away 14 years ago and my Dad 12 years ago. It doesn't get easier they will always be missed but you learn to accept it and continue to live your life to the best of your ability.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Just got in from seeing the new Star Wars movie.
Wow. It was really good.
I'm watching the "original" Star Wars right now with the crappy 1990s graphics added.

The acting is so bad. So bad. :laugh:

My brother and I had a lot of Star Wars toys growing up though. There was even a board game. Too bad we didn't keep any of it lol

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

My dad died over 18 years ago, when I was 30. I still miss him. Mom brought some more stuff to me on this trip as she's trying to sort through things so we don't have to someday. I have to be in the right frame of mind to go through it though.

*hugs*

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
11:07 a.m.: A Gloucester man reported to police that his Boston Bruins sweatshirt — to which he attached immense sentimental value — had been stolen from the locker room while he was working out at the YMCA on Middle Street. An hour later, he called back to report that he'd been wearing the sweatshirt under his vest the whole time and did not remember putting it on.

:rolleyes:o_O

Police/Fire

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It is like the end of days outside

BOSTON —The future of a South Boston restaurant that has been in business for more than a century is uncertain.
A sign posted on the door of the No Name Restaurant on Boston’s Fish Pier said the establishment was closed Monday for a management meeting.

Employees, however, told NewsCenter 5 that the restaurant will be closing for good.

“I got a phone call at 6:30 (this morning) telling me to come in, and they’ll pay us for this week. That’s all I know,” said an employee who has worked at No Name for 30 years.

No Name Restaurant dates back to 1917, and according to its Facebook page, it is the oldest restaurant in Boston under the same management -- the
Contos family.

Reactions: Runner77

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

*Hugs @Alicat hard*

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

@Alicat - It never gets easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad