OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic 2020 part XX - Neil Peart, drummer and primary lyricist for Rush, dead at 67

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I found out about him when I was in HS during the late 70s-early 80s on WNBC in NY. I always liked him better than Howard Stern.

Yeah you could classify Imus as the more highbrow of the two that’s for sure. Add Charles McCord, Bernard McGuirk, and Mike Breen that show was hilarious. They really worked well together

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I want to apologize if I’m not my bubbly old self. The last 72 hours have been hard.

Erin, the lady who took her children’s and own life Christmas day was a coworker of mine.
We werent real close but did do a project together back in the day.
I just cant get my head around it. Just cant. Those poor babies.

I think all of us at the company are just shell shocked.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I want to apologize if I’m not my bubbly old self. The last 72 hours have been hard.

Erin, the lady who took her children’s and own life Christmas day was a coworker of mine.

Sorry to hear that, saw that on the news and it was truly heartbreaking to see this time of year (well anytime, but especially on Christmas). Thinking about the kids puts a pit in the stomach. It’s very understandable how this would impact you and your coworkers. I wish you all and the family of the victims the best. World shattering stuff

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

How awful! I just can't imagine.

*hugs*

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs

Sorry to hear that Wally. Tragic all around.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

Sending you a hug Wally. I also send my thoughts to everyone at your company.

I didn’t know her but she lived a few miles from me and I’ve heard the neighborhood is beside themselves.

My heart just breaks for the children and all involved.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

@Gee Wally - I can't imagine

When I first heard the news I sighed because the location has become notorious for suicides but I thought it must be a frazzled single Mom who was overwhelmed by not providing on Christmas. Even with that thought, I was horrified and deeply saddened.

I have battled depression for a long time for reasons going back to my teens but I was never in crisis because I fear death much more than what life throws at you. I can't comprehend the darkness that woman was in :cry: and as Wally says those poor babies.

Perhaps that is the reason 'It's A Wonderful Life' became a classic years after it was a box office flop. Asking for help should NEVER be perceived as a weakness but as a strength.

I learned a long time ago that if you ask someone if they are OK and they respond I am fine a warning bell should go off.

I'm FINE (F***** up, Insecure, Neurotic and Emotional)

The worst effect of a traumatic event like this is people wondering if they could have done anything to prevent it and that is a no-win scenario.

:cry:

In my career, I elected to work in the toy department of TV ( sports) instead of news even though news offered better hours and more money. The problem with working sports is we work when most people are off and weekends are prime time. My marriage crumbled over this even though my wife knew what she had signed up for. I tried news one more time but by then local news had become if it bleeds it leads. My waterloo came in 2003 when I was dispatched to Warwick, RI for a nightclub fire :cry: We had no idea what we were in for and then had to feed live footage for the 'Today Show'

That story broke me

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
@Gee Wally - I can't imagine

When I first heard the news I sighed because the location has become notorious for suicides but I thought it must be a frazzled single Mom who was overwhelmed by not providing on Christmas. Even with that thought, I was horrified and deeply saddened.

I have battled depression for a long time for reasons going back to my teens but I was never in crisis because I fear death much more than what life throws at you. I can't comprehend the darkness that woman was in :cry: and as Wally says those poor babies.

Perhaps that is the reason 'It's A Wonderful Life' became a classic years after it was a box office flop. Asking for help should NEVER be perceived as a weakness but as a strength.

I learned a long time ago that if you ask someone if they are OK and they respond I am fine a warning bell should go off.

I'm FINE (F***** up, Insecure, Neurotic and Emotional)

The worst effect of a traumatic event like this is people wondering if they could have done anything to prevent it and that is a no-win scenario.

:cry:

In my career, I elected to work in the toy department of TV ( sports) instead of news even though news offered better hours and more money. The problem with working sports is we work when most people are off and weekends are prime time. My marriage crumbled over this even though my wife knew what she had signed up for. I tried news one more time but by then local news had become if it bleeds it leads. My waterloo came in 2003 when I was dispatched to Warwick, RI for a nightclub fire :cry: We had no idea what we were in for and then had to feed live footage for the 'Today Show'

That story broke me

I work in state law enforcement, thankfully not in a frontline role because I don't think I could handle what those folks are regularly exposed to first hand. Helping our employees deal with the effects of exposure to traumatic events and sights is one of our largest challenges. One of the concepts we use, and which people may be familiar with, is the stress/trauma/mental health bucket.

Life or work throws challenges and difficulties at us and they can build up stress, trauma and mental fatigue over time, until our bucket is threatening to overflow and we just collapse or can't handle it anymore. Different people will have their bucket filled at different speeds and by different things, but everyone has something that will get to them and wear them down. In response we need to find ways to counter this (music, walks, reading, time to yourself, travel, whatever works for you) and frequently reduce the levels in our bucket, so that it never overflows, and we need the mental awareness to know when it's getting too high or as to how to avoid things that will fill it particularly quickly.

It's a pretty simply tool but it works really well, in that it keeps mental health at the forefront of people's thinking as a daily part of their lives that they need to remain aware of and continually be looking after, and it helps to normalize mental health challenges and struggles as something that everyone is exposed to and needs to grapple with from time to time.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Tragic, sorry friend

Reactions: Gee Wally

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I work in state law enforcement, thankfully not in a frontline role because I don't think I could handle what those folks are regularly exposed to first hand. Helping our employees deal with the effects of exposure to traumatic events and sights is one of our largest challenges. One of the concepts we use, and which people may be familiar with, is the stress/trauma/mental health bucket.

Life or work throws challenges and difficulties at us and they can build up stress, trauma and mental fatigue over time, until our bucket is threatening to overflow and we just collapse or can't handle it anymore. Different people will have their bucket filled at different speeds and by different things, but everyone has something that will get to them and wear them down. In response we need to find ways to counter this (music, walks, reading, time to yourself, travel, whatever works for you) and frequently reduce the levels in our bucket, so that it never overflows, and we need the mental awareness to know when it's getting too high or as to how to avoid things that will fill it particularly quickly.

It's a pretty simply tool but it works really well, in that it keeps mental health at the forefront of people's thinking as a daily part of their lives that they need to remain aware of and continually be looking after, and it helps to normalize mental health challenges and struggles as something that everyone is exposed to and needs to grapple with from time to time.
It's interesting to see this written out, it's something I've been doing for a while with exercise & diet; I've found sticking to those two things help me from getting to overwhelmed/what's the point/I give up levels - maybe for reasons as simple as tangible (healthy) activities to complete/check off. I went through a bad break up at a time my business was hitting it's most stressful (we finally turned the page to 'busy all the time' and got thrown into a sink or swim situation basically). Add to the fact that I work from home full time, and found myself at 32 living alone for the first time (headed into a NE winter)... let's say things got bad there for a while and getting back into the gym/eating right ended up saving me about a year+ ago.

I've had a bad run of luck the last 2 months back in the dating world and fell off the routine a bit (and fell back into drinking too much); I have definitely felt that bucket at the brim during the last couple weeks. Have doubled back down again (praise the sun finally returning) and realized that I should probably talk to a counselor so it's starting to empty out again.

Probably an overshare but I'm anonymous here so what the hell? Felt good to write it out and the bucket thing really kind of hit home/converted a concept I've danced around into something concrete for me just now.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
MJOYG5PFUBERPH652C4QLDZBO4.jpg

Lee Mendelson, the producer who changed the face of the holidays when he brought “A Charlie Brown Christmas” to television in 1965 and wrote the lyrics to its signature song, “Christmas Time Is Here,” died on Christmas day, his son said.

Mendelson, who won a dozen Emmys in his long career, died at his home in Hillsborough, California, of congestive heart failure at age 86 after a long struggle with lung cancer, son Jason Mendelson told The Associated Press.

Lee Mendelson headed a team that included “Peanuts” author Charles Schulz, director Bill Melendez, and pianist and composer Vince Guaraldi, whose music for the show, including the opening “Christmas Time Is Here,” has become as much a Christmas staple as the show itself.

Reactions: Runner77 and BMC

aguineapig

I have stood at the edge
of life's darkest hour
Only to return so many times
Have stared him down with his
comforting reassuring eyes
Only to step back again
Not accepting his deceitful lies
But I know this my friend
He'll be back again
Hoping I'll be unaware
this time

GP