OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic 2019 part XVIII - Treat or Trick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Ughhh, I loathed WIC day. I worked the dairy, and I can't tell you how many times I got asked which chocolate milk was WIC approved. I used to tell them "The white kind". Even worse for cereal, it said right on the voucher the only brands eligible (Kix, Shredded Wheat, Cheerios, etc), and people still tried to get Froot Loops or Cocoa Krispies.
The individually wrapped Kraft American Cheese was the worst for the cashiers "I'm sorry, you need to get this from the deli"

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I live about 50' from here:

View attachment 282485

My condo building faces this. I purposefully got a unit on the back side, but I could still hear the whistle (front side people actually feel the train itself). For the first week or so it would wake me up a little early. Now, I hardly even notice it, and when I do, it's kind of cool to hear it.

There you go, more proof!

Years ago I had some friends from Northern Vermont come stay at our house for a weekend so we gave them our bedroom which faces the street. We live on a fairly busy street. Not too crazy but in the summer when they came there can be plenty of motorcycles (which ironically they came down on a Harley) and trucks going by at all hours.

The first morning my friend says to me "How the hell can you sleep through that???"

I said you're from Vermont man, it's a hell of a lot quieter on that street (which is a dead end where he used to live) than it is here!

Reactions: jgatie and LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
There you go, more proof!

Years ago I had some friends from Northern Vermont come stay at our house for a weekend so we gave them our bedroom which faces the street. We live on a fairly busy street. Not too crazy but in the summer when they came there can be plenty of motorcycles (which ironically they came down on a Harley) and trucks going by at all hours.

The first morning my friend says to me "How the hell can you sleep through that???"

I said you're from Vermont man, it's a hell of a lot quieter on that street (which is a dead end where he used to live) than it is here!

It's funny how you can become desensitized to the noise. My buddy grew up on a very busy road in Woburn, and he couldn't sleep unless there was constant road noise. If it was too quiet, he'd wake up. lol

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
It's funny how you can become desensitized to the noise. My buddy grew up on a very busy road in Woburn, and he couldn't sleep unless there was constant road noise. If it was too quiet, he'd wake up. lol

It's so true. The opposite for us is when we go to VT and it's so quiet especially in the winter

Reactions: LSCII

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

I have friends from NYC that need headphones playing street sounds to fall asleep when camping.

Reactions: LSCII

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
The individually wrapped Kraft American Cheese was the worst for the cashiers "I'm sorry, you need to get this from the deli"

Yeah, we used to let them buy the Kraft sliced American from the dairy, but not the individually wrapped. Better cheese anyway, the wrapped stuff is one chemical away from plastic.

Reactions: Alicat

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I sleep with a white noise machine when it's not air conditioner season. I can't sleep in silence.

I also listen to meditations on calm and headspace with headphones if i wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep. i need background distractions.

Reactions: Dueling Banjos

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Yeah, we used to let them buy the Kraft sliced American from the dairy, but not the individually wrapped. Better cheese anyway, the wrapped stuff is one chemical away from plastic.
This is so true. Kraft Singles are not even real food. I'm not a huge fan of deli sliced American (usually Land o Lakes). For some reason, it just seems dry, which is weird. I go with the Kraft Deli Select. With Oscar Meyer bologna, or course. In fact, that was my lunch just a few minutes ago.

Reactions: jgatie

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I sleep with a white noise machine when it's not air conditioner season. I can't sleep in silence.

I also listen to meditations on calm and headspace with headphones if i wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep. i need background distractions.
The Relaxio app is kinda cool. I rarely need help getting to sleep. I'm a natural deep sleeper and take melatonin before bed, so it's a double whammy. But on the rare occasions when my brain won't turn off, Relaxio is my go to. You can choose from a bunch of different sounds, from true white noise (TV static) to a fan, to coffee shop background noise, to a bunch of natural noises.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
This is so true. Kraft Singles are not even real food. I'm not a huge fan of deli sliced American (usually Land o Lakes). For some reason, it just seems dry, which is weird. I go with the Kraft Deli Select. With Oscar Meyer bologna, or course. In fact, that was my lunch just a few minutes ago.

Kraft Singles (and the store brand equivalent) was one of the dairy items we would "store on the floor" when the dairy chest was full to the brim during the holidays, because it really didn't need refrigeration. Another was eggs, because they took up the most room and sold really fast (but don't tell the FDA).

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I'm surprised the wrapper isn't edible tbh..

I've never liked American cheese and I'm pretty sure it is because of these individually wrapped slices.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I'm surprised the wrapper isn't edible tbh..

I've never liked American cheese and I'm pretty sure it is because of these individually wrapped slices.

I once accidentally set a Toro weed whacker down on the lawn mower muffler and melted the orange plastic guard. The melted plastic looked just like a melted Kraft Single.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I once accidentally set a Toro weed whacker down on the lawn mower muffler and melted the orange plastic guard. The melted plastic looked just like a melted Kraft Single.

And was still more edible than a kraft single. Shit is made out of oil, ffs...lol

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
American cheese is pretty crappy in general

Yes, a classic grilled cheese is great, but you can substitute any other variety of cheese on it or a burger to make it better

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Isn't it illegal to be doing that at night? Even if it isn't, he's an idiot.

I'm pretty sure the maintenance people were upstairs setting up for the day around 6:15 this morning but thankfully they can't start anything until 7 am.

I hope they are done painting today because the fumes on Friday were brutal
Hopefully the painting went well! Yeah on my end you would think it would be illegal but my house is in asscrack upstate NY so I doubt it. :laugh:

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Can you tell we all have some sort of ptsd from working in the grocery store lol

Back in the day, before cameras and security guards, us grocery guys used to handle shoplifters. I once chased a guy out of the store and tackled him in the middle of the Southern Artery in Quincy. He was lobbing steaks back at me as I chased him, pulling them out of his pants. I held him there in the middle of traffic until the cops came from the station just up the street. Good times.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Back in the day, before cameras and security guards, us grocery guys used to handle shoplifters. I once chased a guy out of the store and tackled him in the middle of the Southern Artery in Quincy. He was lobbing steaks back at me as I chased him, pulling them out of his pants. I held him there in the middle of traffic until the cops came from the station just up the street. Good times.
Our LP officers ran after a guy once who had stuffed 4 lobsters down his pants and tried to jump the train tracks behind the Star Market in Hyde Park.

Guy didn't make it too far as he decided getting arrested was better than getting pancaked by an Amtrak train.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Our LP officers ran after a guy once who had stuffed 4 lobsters down his pants and tried to jump the train tracks behind the Star Market in Hyde Park.

Guy didn't make it too far as he decided getting arrested was better than getting pancaked by an Amtrak train.

Oh, the stories. We had one woman we stopped at the door because she was walking funny. We shook her a little and 4 packs of batteries and a toaster dropped out of her skirt. Another was in the upstairs overlook being detained for the police and she jumped right over the balcony, falling to the floor below and breaking her leg.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
The pumpkin is interesting. Just because we never recommend it doesn't mean it's not worthy. I am going to mention it to my boss tomorrow.
My boss said pumpkin is fine but he never suggests it because too many people give their dogs pie filling with additives which makes the pooping worse.

Reactions: Bocephus86
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad