OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic 2019 part XVIII - Treat or Trick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Captain chainsaw started woodcutting at 745am this morning and is back at it now across the street from my house with a headlamp, wtf.
Isn't it illegal to be doing that at night? Even if it isn't, he's an idiot.

I'm pretty sure the maintenance people were upstairs setting up for the day around 6:15 this morning but thankfully they can't start anything until 7 am.

I hope they are done painting today because the fumes on Friday were brutal

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
When I was in college I worked in the Market Basket deli and management MADE us do that. Every customer yelled at us about folding the sticker over the bag, but it's what we were forced to do.

I hated that job.
I worked in the Market Basket deli in Burlington while I was in college.

I LOATHED that job.

They didn’t force us to put the sticker over the opening of the bag, but that job is THE reason I never worked in retail again.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

I LOATHED that job.

They didn’t force us to put the sticker over the opening of the bag, but that job is THE reason I never worked in retail again.

I worked at Stop & Shop all through High School and college. Every deli person I ever knew got back at lousy customers by banging their stack of cheese on the counter. Turns out it's almost impossible to get those slices apart after they've been smacked down hard on a flat surface.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I worked at Stop & Shop all through High School and college. Every deli person I ever knew got back at lousy customers by banging their stack of cheese on the counter. Turns out it's almost impossible to get those slices apart after they've been smacked down hard on a flat surface.
That they are which is why I am the crazy lady at the deli counter who makes a fuss about how her cheese is sliced.

Working in a grocery store the weekend before Thanksgiving was pure torture. They scheduled everyone and definitely played favorites when scheduling breaks.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
That they are which is why I am the crazy lady at the deli counter who makes a fuss about how her cheese is sliced.

Working in a grocery store the weekend before Thanksgiving was pure torture. They scheduled everyone and definitely played favorites when scheduling breaks.

I used to love the holidays. Unlimited OT, empty shelves are easier to load, and you could get away with anything just because of the mayhem. Christmas Eve was the best, because all the morning vendors would drop off bottles of booze, and we'd have those cracked open by noon. Can't get away with that nowadays.

Reactions: Spooner st

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I used to love the holidays. Unlimited OT, empty shelves are easier to load, and you could get away with anything just because of the mayhem. Christmas Eve was the best, because all the morning vendors would drop off bottles of booze, and we'd have those cracked open by noon. Can't get away with that nowadays.
The good old days...

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I always worked up front and the managers were absolute jerks especially if you stood up to them about your hours at the holiday. If they didn't like you, you worked as much as possible within legal limits while others either had time off or only worked 2-3 hours.

Working in the coffee shop was night and day from the grocery store. I wish I had made the switch sooner.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I always worked up front and the managers were absolute jerks especially if you stood up to them about your hours at the holiday. If they didn't like you, you worked as much as possible within legal limits while others either had time off or only worked 2-3 hours.

Working in the coffee shop was night and day from the grocery store. I wish I had made the switch sooner.

The front end was always a soap opera. Stayed as far away as possible from that drama.

Reactions: Alicat

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

I LOATHED that job.

Ha! I grew up 5 minutes away from that one (in what was once the Caldor mall, right?) Used to go there when they still called it Demoulas...lol

Reactions: rfournier103

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
giphy.gif

no kids, no pets, no poop
nope
But also no this:

20190424_180153.jpg

The cute makes up for the poop. Well, the cute and the unconditional love.

I'm with you on the kids thing though :laugh: :sarcasm:

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Captain chainsaw started woodcutting at 745am this morning and is back at it now across the street from my house with a headlamp, wtf.
Many years ago (college time I think) I had a neighbor that had to get a new septic tank installed and his backyard was all ledge. Starting bright and early at 7 AM 6 days a week I was awoken to the beautiful serenade of an Excavator with a pneumatic hammer banging away at that ledge. It went on for what felt like an eternity but I think it was just a few weeks. Needless to say, I screamed into the void many a morning that summer.

Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I am very well familiar with that trick.

As well as several others.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Many years ago (college time I think) I had a neighbor that had to get a new septic tank installed and his backyard was all ledge. Starting bright and early at 7 AM 6 days a week I was awoken to the beautiful serenade of an Excavator with a pneumatic hammer banging away at that ledge. It went on for what felt like an eternity but I think it was just a few weeks. Needless to say, I screamed into the void many a morning that summer.

When they did the bridges over the exit near my house off 495 a few years ago they had pile drivers running all night, every night, in the dead of winter and that was hell for a few weeks. That noise carried far and wide especially on those cold crisp nights

Reactions: Bocephus86

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
But also no this:

View attachment 282407

The cute makes up for the poop. Well, the cute and the unconditional love.

I'm with you on the kids thing though :laugh: :sarcasm:
Ah, kids are great......now. (will be better when the youngest graduates though). I can commiserate with GW. Having three successful kids is my greatest accomplishment in life.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
From an engineering standpoint, I'm curious, if the backyard was all ledge, how the septic contents filtered out. Where did they go?

Reactions: Chief Nine

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
When they did the bridges over the exit near my house off 495 a few years ago they had pile drivers running all night, every night, in the dead of winter and that was hell for a few weeks. That noise carried far and wide especially on those cold crisp nights
We live about 4 miles from Luke AFB, where they do fighter jet training for F-16 and F-35 pilots. In fact I just heard one fly over. You do get used to it, and I specifically don't mind that noise, being an aviator myself. But there is a city ordinance that the realtor has to disclose that there will be jet noise from the base when you're buying a house in Surprise.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
From an engineering standpoint, I'm curious, if the backyard was all ledge, how the septic contents filtered out. Where did they go?
Maybe they were converting to sewer and they needed to get the piping laid, or some other project like that (it wasn't a pool, definitely underground); I was probably too specific in my details as I was just the college kid neighbor home from school yelling at the construction crew all summer not my step father/mother who actually knew the neighbor enough to talk to him...

My assumption was septic as it was in his backyard and they were selling the house soon after; as an adult, I've recently gone through needing to replace a septic system to get up to code for selling a relatives house that passed recently and definitely connected the two for my summer of misery story.

*Now that I think of it, the septic company gave us a massive price range on the replacement depending on if there was ledge in the backyard to handle so they must workaround it somehow. I'm just a computer guy, no idea how it actually works...

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
We live about 4 miles from Luke AFB, where they do fighter jet training for F-16 and F-35 pilots. In fact I just heard one fly over. You do get used to it, and I specifically don't mind that noise, being an aviator myself. But there is a city ordinance that the realtor has to disclose that there will be jet noise from the base when you're buying a house in Surprise.

You definitely do. I live pretty close to the commuter rail and it's not uncommon to hear the train horns going off at all hours of the night (like last night around 2 am!!) and you do get used to it. The craziest was my sister's old house in Natick though, the commuter rail was literally 10 feet away from her backyard fence about 50' from the house. She said the same thing, after while you don't even notice it

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

Customers are the worst. "Can you put sheets between each slice?" "I want my roast beef shaved" "The prosciutto needs to be paper thin so you can read a newspaper through it". Then people would demand you open a new block of American cheese for them because they "didn't want the end" even though there was still a good 3/4 of a pound on the old one.

The MB I was in was a smaller one so deli and seafood were combined, so we also did lobsters and sometimes would get people who only wanted female lobsters.

Worst times were always Sundays, hot summer days, and the first Tuesday of the month or whenever food stamps get distributed.

My manager was a real cool dude, fortunately, and most of the coworkers coworkers were cool, but I never want to do that type of work again.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
You definitely do. I live pretty close to the commuter rail and it's not uncommon to hear the train horns going off at all hours of the night (like last night around 2 am!!) and you do get used to it. The craziest was my sister's old house in Natick though, the commuter rail was literally 10 feet away from her backyard fence about 50' from the house. She said the same thing, after while you don't even notice it

I live about 50' from here:

Outbound_train,_South_Weymouth_MBTA_station,_Weymouth_MA.jpg

My condo building faces this. I purposefully got a unit on the back side, but I could still hear the whistle (front side people actually feel the train itself). For the first week or so it would wake me up a little early. Now, I hardly even notice it, and when I do, it's kind of cool to hear it.

Reactions: BMC and Chief Nine

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Customers are the worst. "Can you put sheets between each slice?" "I want my roast beef shaved" "The prosciutto needs to be paper thin so you can read a newspaper through it". Then people would demand you open a new block of American cheese for them because they "didn't want the end" even though there was still a good 3/4 of a pound on the old one.

The MB I was in was a smaller one so deli and seafood were combined, so we also did lobsters and sometimes would get people who only wanted female lobsters.

Worst times were always Sundays, hot summer days, and the first Tuesday of the month or whenever food stamps get distributed.

My manager was a real cool dude, fortunately, and most of the coworkers coworkers were cool, but I never want to do that type of work again.
I like my deli stuff sliced pretty thin so I probably annoy the people behind the counter. I try to be as polite and easy going as possible and in return I would love it if my cheese wasn't a giant glob by the time I get home.

I almost always bag my own stuff especially if I go early in the morning. I'm ocd when it comes to how I like my groceries bagged (don't put spaghetti sauce in the bag with a half dozen eggs) and I blame Star Market.

I once had a lady yell at me for putting her bread in a separate bag so it didn't get squished.

Double and triple coupons, WIC and EBT were the worst days outside of storms and holidays.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Double and triple coupons, WIC and EBT were the worst days outside of storms and holidays.

Ughhh, I loathed WIC day. I worked the dairy, and I can't tell you how many times I got asked which chocolate milk was WIC approved. I used to tell them "The white kind". Even worse for cereal, it said right on the voucher the only brands eligible (Kix, Shredded Wheat, Cheerios, etc), and people still tried to get Froot Loops or Cocoa Krispies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad