OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic 2019 part XVIII - Treat or Trick

Status
Not open for further replies.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
The only time I was with other people when something horrific happened was in 1980 watching Monday Night Football - The Patriots had a chance to win a game in the Orange Bowl and take control of the AFC East and then

Was sitting in the crew's lounge onboard my Navy ship watching the game,one of those moments.

Reactions: DKH

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
I was just going to post it.

For the posters who remember this day, where were you when you heard the news?

Rest in Peace JFK
was in 7th grade art class...my best friend was walking across the room with a large sheet of drawing paper...as I turned my head to look at him the announcement came over the room intercom speaker...my best friend froze in place. Will always remember that scene.....later that night was helping my mom cook dinner and simply burst into tears.

Incredibly sad day....

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
I was 10 months old so of course I have no memory of it. My mom told us this story- sister and I had been put down for our nap. She had just finished her lunch when there was a knock on the door. It was the bread delivery man (yes children, back then you could have your breads & desserts delivered right to your home) and he said, "turn on the tv, I just heard on my truck radio the President's been shot". As you can imagine she was shocked to hear this and she turned the tv on & there was the news reporter saying it was confirmed that the President had been shot and was being taken to the hospital, and that Texas Gov. Connally had been shot as well. A little while later the reporter confirmed that JFK was dead. Mom said the entire country came to a screeching halt, much like 9/11. She & Dad spent the next 3 days watching the live reports, including Oswald's shooting and JFK's funeral. Nobody went to work. Everyone was in a daze, the entire country was in a fog for several months afterwards.
There was a Madmen episode that captured this time so well, including Roger’s daughter’s wedding that weekend.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Wasn't around for JFK, but we had a similar situation for the Space Shuttle Challenger. Since it was a teacher going up to space, they wheeled in a tv for every class in our school. Needless to say the joy and happiness all the teachers had for that day disappeared quickly once that launch went horribly wrong. Really tragic and heartbreaking alone by itself, but when you added in all the small children across the country watching it live in class. Just awful. So many kids were just bawling their eyes out as well as a handful of teachers.
I was 3 when Challenger happened but I remember learning about it by watching Punky Brewster when I was 6 or 7.

I was 21 when Columbia happened and was at a friend's dorm room when someone said to turn on the TV and all you could see was the white smoke and debris falling from the sky like big shooting stars.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
56 years ago today. Here is the unedited NBC coverage from that day. ...
This is the only historic date I have memorized. I was too young to remember it. He would be 102 years old. The only death I remember exactly where I was is John Lennon's.

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
35 years??? :help: :wally:
upload_2019-11-22_15-17-28.png

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
my supermarket pet peeve is how they put the packed date sticker over the zip lock on the cold cuts baggy. makes the bag unuseable when you have to get the sticker off.
When I was in college I worked in the Market Basket deli and management MADE us do that. Every customer yelled at us about folding the sticker over the bag, but it's what we were forced to do.

I hated that job.

Reactions: rfournier103

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I was just going to post it.

For the posters who remember this day, where were you when you heard the news?

Rest in Peace JFK

The JFK museum in Boston is excellent and one of the things I really like is how the assassination is acknowledged but that's it - it's not dwelt or commented on at all. Nothing is wasted in giving infamy to that hateful act and it instead allows the museum to focus almost entirely on celebrating and teaching Kennedy's life and achievements. Very well done indeed.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
The JFK museum in Boston is excellent and one of the things I really like is how the assassination is acknowledged but that's it - it's not dwelt or commented on at all. Nothing is wasted in giving infamy to that hateful act and it instead allows the museum to focus almost entirely on celebrating and teaching Kennedy's life and achievements. Very well done indeed.

Similar to the 9/11 Museum. There is a single corridor that mentions the terrorists. Nobody stopped there when I visited, they just walked straight through.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Is there a room full of Marilyn Monroe pictures and vials of Percocet?

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
I got my mom a blanket with her French bulldogs goofy face all over it and now the dog is terrified of it. Won’t stop barking at it, won’t get within 10 feet of it

It’s yourself you idiot! :facepalm:
:laugh:

just made my Friday night haha

Reactions: CDJ

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Was sitting in the crew's lounge onboard my Navy ship watching the game,one of those moments.
I was sitting with with college roommates in our house we were living at watching MNF and Howard Cosell announces John Lennon died

We were pretty buzzed and I remember that incredible weird felling I don’t think I’ve ever experienced where a buzz and unsuspecting tragedy meet

the Patriots blew the game as well but I was and am a huge Beatles and especially Lennon guy so this put me in a very unhappy place for awhile

I lived in that house 1 year and I was also sitting there in the middle of the day watching a soap opera with the girl next door when Reagan got shot

We lived about 5-10 miles off campus so me and her hit the grocery store on the way home. She lived next door and was locked out so she came over to hang around and watch General Hospital. I wasn’t into them but would watch now and then. We were in a bit altered state and had a half gallon of chocolate chip ice cream opened and were eating it when the news broke in he was shot

we sat there transfixed watching this for awhile

I’m not the biggest partier but those 2 historic events happened in eerily similar circumstances

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Feeling pretty good here tonight.
Youngest son just got early acceptance for Dr. of Pharmacy grad school here at Mass School of Pharmacy. Right here in Worcester. Will be nice to have him around awhile. Even if it means downsizing may be postponed. We’ll see.

I gotta say My kids, all three, have done well at UMass Amherst.
That school prepared them well for advancing along.

Oldest boy got his Masters in Physics and works for Dept of Energy in Cal.

Now just waiting to see where the princess lands for her Masters.

Crazy times.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Is there a room full of Marilyn Monroe pictures and vials of Percocet?

Not that I can remember! There was some content on Kennedy's medical issues, but not his extra-marital activities. Like most of these sorts of places the museum presents its topic in a pretty positive and favorable light, but I didn't feel that it was over the top glowing or hagiographic.

Reactions: McGarnagle

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I looked a the date yesterday and said to myself, “hmm. Something about today. Can’t remember what it is.” Thank you for reminding me. Oddly enough, the guys I take my coffee break with in the morning and I were discussing 9/11 - my generation’s Kennedy Assassination.

The assassination happened almost eleven years before I was born, so I don’t remember it. I have, however, been to the Sixth Floor of the Book Depositary in Dallas and even stood on the spot in the street where JFK was shot. It is marked with a big white X.

The Sixth Floor is now a museum dedicated to the life of President Kennedy, and it was VERY moving. That exhibit and what I learned there completely changed how I saw Kennedy as a president. I would recommend it to any and every American. I walked out of that building different than when I went in.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad