OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic 2019 part XVIII - Treat or Trick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
I wrap. I fold. I wash dishes. I cook.

But mostly...I nap.
This is accurate. He made tortellini tonight -and made me a peach bellini:sarcasm:

btw--I forgot you were in the house upstairs :laugh: (you must be napping)

note: If you are both going to work 2 jobs, prepare not to sleep and be in two separate offices.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
EDCC8E89-1B03-4F6C-A637-A6B4043295ED.jpeg
“Large iced, French vanilla, shot of DayQuil, black.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TD Charlie

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Scenes from the life of an Aussie Bruin - a few days ago I was out on a hike and I passed a group of 4-5 young men, probably aged around 20, going the other way. I was wearing a Bruins top with a big spoked B on the front, and one of them looks at it and says "Oh cool, a Happy Gilmore shirt".

"Ah, yep" is all I can reply. What else does one say?! :sarcasm: :help:

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
56 years ago today

Here is the unedited NBC coverage from that day.

I was in Dallas a few years ago, did visit the JFK assassination spot, there's still strong feel of sadness in the air - at least that's how i felt.

Not only United States but entire world lost so much on that day.

Hated to see tourists running to that X mark in the middle of the road (exact spot where shots hit him) and smile for the picture, why the hell are you smiling there? I asked someone why are you smiling there, he gave me the look and walked away. I was too pushy or aggressive maybe but i was very annoyed.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
took my first stab at making home made chocolate bars, made 3 kinds, white chocolate, dark and a milk chocolate. Finished product tasted great but there is room for improvement with my skills. Used silicone molds which I think I will replace with stronger one`s but still tasted great and I`m planning on wrapping them at Christmas and giving them out as a "garnish" if you will on gifts

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
took my first stab at making home made chocolate bars, made 3 kinds, white chocolate, dark and a milk chocolate. Finished product tasted great but there is room for improvement with my skills. Used silicone molds which I think I will replace with stronger one`s but still tasted great and I`m planning on wrapping them at Christmas and giving them out as a "garnish" if you will on gifts

I can only assume you give the white chocolate to people you dislike.

Reactions: BMC and talkinaway

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I was just going to post it.

For the posters who remember this day, where were you when you heard the news?

Rest in Peace JFK

My recollection I was only 6 and in first grade. Was that they stopped school. Had our teachers tell us he had been killed and we were dismissed.
Upon getting home I recall my mother and grandmother sobbing in the kitchen while watching on a tiny black and white tv the news from Dallas.

Years later as I was in despair on 9/11 my mom said this is exactly how she felt the day JFK was killed.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
My recollection I was only 6 and in first grade. Was that they stopped school. Had our teachers tell us he had been killed and we were dismissed.
Upon getting home I recall my mother and grandmother sobbing in the kitchen while watching on a tiny black and white tv the news from Dallas.

Years later as I was in despair on 9/11 my mom said this is exactly how she felt the day JFK was killed.
Thank you for sharing. My mom has always said she remembers vividly that there was a weird halo around the sun that day.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
We will expect the virtual version to make an appearance here at Christmas ;)

Reactions: BMC

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Here is my first world problem, pet peeve of the day.

Why is it so hard to find the "fresh through" date on bread wrappers?! Some companies print it on the plastic tags, but so many others print it on the bag itself, and never in the same place, and sometimes it's hard to read. I don't want to spend twenty minutes trying to figure out where it is, I just want to be sure I am getting fresh bread!! :soap:

At least I don't have this problem with cookies. :laugh:

Reactions: Alicat and BMC

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

Rest in Peace JFK

I was 10 months old so of course I have no memory of it. My mom told us this story- sister and I had been put down for our nap. She had just finished her lunch when there was a knock on the door. It was the bread delivery man (yes children, back then you could have your breads & desserts delivered right to your home) and he said, "turn on the tv, I just heard on my truck radio the President's been shot". As you can imagine she was shocked to hear this and she turned the tv on & there was the news reporter saying it was confirmed that the President had been shot and was being taken to the hospital, and that Texas Gov. Connally had been shot as well. A little while later the reporter confirmed that JFK was dead. Mom said the entire country came to a screeching halt, much like 9/11. She & Dad spent the next 3 days watching the live reports, including Oswald's shooting and JFK's funeral. Nobody went to work. Everyone was in a daze, the entire country was in a fog for several months afterwards.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Wasn't around for JFK, but we had a similar situation for the Space Shuttle Challenger. Since it was a teacher going up to space, they wheeled in a tv for every class in our school. Needless to say the joy and happiness all the teachers had for that day disappeared quickly once that launch went horribly wrong. Really tragic and heartbreaking alone by itself, but when you added in all the small children across the country watching it live in class. Just awful. So many kids were just bawling their eyes out as well as a handful of teachers.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

I walked home from school knowing he had been shot and suddenly heard the National Anthem coming out of an open window :cry:

I got home and my Mom was watching TV and on the phone with her sister.

WGBH-FM used to broadcast the Boston Symphony on Friday afternoons and the quality of this clip is amazing.

NBC looked like cable access that first hour but in those days setting up a direct microwave link between Dallas and Chicago could not be done instantly as each tower had to be adjusted manually. ( Chicago-New York had a direct line)

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Wasn't around for JFK, but we had a similar situation for the Space Shuttle Challenger. Since it was a teacher going up to space, they wheeled in a tv for every class in our school. Needless to say the joy and happiness all the teachers had for that day disappeared quickly once that launch went horribly wrong. Really tragic and heartbreaking alone by itself, but when you added in all the small children across the country watching it live in class. Just awful. So many kids were just bawling their eyes out as well as a handful of teachers.
DON'T FORGET Columbia exploding later on as well....

Reactions: BMC

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I got my mom a blanket with her French bulldogs goofy face all over it and now the dog is terrified of it. Won’t stop barking at it, won’t get within 10 feet of it

It’s yourself you idiot! :facepalm:

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Here is my first world problem, pet peeve of the day.

Why is it so hard to find the "fresh through" date on bread wrappers?! Some companies print it on the plastic tags, but so many others print it on the bag itself, and never in the same place, and sometimes it's hard to read. I don't want to spend twenty minutes trying to figure out where it is, I just want to be sure I am getting fresh bread!! :soap:

At least I don't have this problem with cookies. :laugh:

my supermarket pet peeve is how they put the packed date sticker over the zip lock on the cold cuts baggy. makes the bag unuseable when you have to get the sticker off.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
DON'T FORGET Columbia exploding later on as well....

Absolutely. I wasn't in school for that one though. When the Challenger blew up, I was 16 and in 10th grade, so I recall it clear as day. We all watched it happen, and then they made an announcement that school was being dismissed, so we went home and watched the news for the rest of the day stunned. The Columbia, I was out of school and working full time. Didn't really hear much about it other than it happened.

In terms of the days, the Challenger disaster was more like 9/11 in that it seemed everything else in the country stopped and time stood still.

Reactions: BMC and CHRDANHUTCH

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The only time I was with other people when something horrific happened was in 1980 watching Monday Night Football - The Patriots had a chance to win a game in the Orange Bowl and take control of the AFC East and then

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015

Rest in Peace JFK

I remember my mother crying in her bedroom and I was trying to figure out why. I was 7 years old when that happened so too young to really get what happened but old enough to know it was really bad

Reactions: LSCII and Alicat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad