OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic 2019 part XVII - Fall is here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Martha Coakley has to be regretting her move. She had a real nice paying cushy gig and left to go lead Juul's government affairs team and now she's destroying whatever was left of her reputation.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
Wow lots of misconceptions about vaping.

It's not about the money, on the local level big tobacco isnt going to drop in and line Charlie Bakers pockets.

They will however sue the living %#(* out of the state starting probably five minutes ago.

These companies ARE BIG TOBACCO just because you don't recognize Juul and their owners Altria

Altria is the parent company of Philip Morris USA (producer of Marlboro Cigarette), John Middleton, Inc., U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Company, Inc., Philip Morris Capital Corporation, and Chateau Ste. Michelle Wine Estates.

As for the chemicals involved I cannot say as I have not really looked into it but ... flavored smoke never sounded like a good idea to me?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
A small store next to me won't survive 4 months

upload_2019-9-24_16-58-10.png

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Wow lots of misconceptions about vaping.

It's not about the money, on the local level big tobacco isnt going to drop in and line Charlie Bakers pockets.

They will however sue the living %#(* out of the state starting probably five minutes ago.

These companies ARE BIG TOBACCO just because you don't recognize Juul and their owners Altria

Altria is the parent company of Philip Morris USA (producer of Marlboro Cigarette), John Middleton, Inc., U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Company, Inc., Philip Morris Capital Corporation, and Chateau Ste. Michelle Wine Estates.

As for the chemicals involved I cannot say as I have not really looked into it but ... flavored smoke never sounded like a good idea to me?

Currently the ingredients come mostly from China and India and are not regulated or tested by any agency. So a person has no idea as to what they are inhaling. So much so that what is being seen is rapid acute lung disease and in some cases death.

Personally I think at the very least it deserves some attention in regard to what is actually in them.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
This is where you lost me.

It's ALWAYS about the money. It's really not even debatable.

The Massachusetts excise tax on cigarettes is $3.51 per pack of 20 cigarettes.

Cigars and smoking tobacco are subject to a state excise tax of 40% of the wholesale price.

Smokeless tobacco is subject to a 210% state excise of the wholesale price.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
Currently the ingredients come mostly from China and India and are not regulated or tested by any agency. So a person has no idea as to what they are inhaling. So much so that what is being seen is rapid acute lung disease and in some cases death.

Personally I think at the very least it deserves some attention in regard to what is actually in them.

LOL India banned the stuff two days ago, so yea, they are probably putting sketchy stuff in there.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
The Massachusetts excise tax on cigarettes is $3.51 per pack of 20 cigarettes.

Cigars and smoking tobacco are subject to a state excise tax of 40% of the wholesale price.

Smokeless tobacco is subject to a 210% state excise of the wholesale price.

It's cute that you believe everything you read.

20% of my job is registering these companies in Mass and Wyoming.
I worked side-by-side with Martha for over a year before her move.
I'm not guessing.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
LOL India banned the stuff two days ago, so yea, they are probably putting sketchy stuff in there.

A few years ago more Lipitor was sold than actually produced.
Fishes and loaves. When the maker and FDA investigated it was discovered that counterfeit Lipitor had entered the North America from India.
The only ingredient was gypsum. Same shit we make into drywall.

Reactions: Salem13

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
It's cute that you believe everything you read.

20% of my job is registering these companies in Mass and Wyoming.
I worked side-by-side with Martha for over a year before her move.
I'm not guessing.

I'd love to more how Altria is skirting Mass taxation?

...notice I didn't call them Juul or Phillip Morris or Marlboro ... I'm not working in a vacuum here.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I'd love to more how Altria is skirting Mass taxation?

...notice I didn't call them Juul or Phillip Morris or Marlboro ... I'm not working in a vacuum here.

I'm not talking about skirting taxes.

I'm talking about the govt using this as the tipping point for creating/expanding something they've been toying around with for some time. That's as far as I can go without breaking forum rules. I'll move on. It'll all come out soon enough regardless.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

My PCP at Mt Auburn specializes in lung disease and he told me in the last 3 months their ER is now seeing high school kids with the same damage as people who have been smoking for 50 years. E-cigarettes have been around for 10 years with no noticeable spike but suddenly with an explosion of cheaper products online, it is a problem.

The problem now is there is no realistic way to stop online sales at the state level.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
How anyone thought this would be harmless and a good alternative to smoking is beyond me...

You’d be amazed to know that most people dont realize stuff like this is not tested or regulated by any agency.

Including any supplements. Vitamins, protein powder, anything at say a GNC or your corner CVS.

You are purchasing and using on pretty much blind faith.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Agreed. But Id guess as a teenager you’re choosing vaping over smoking not because of health concerns, but because they don’t leave you smelling around girls. Also easier to hide from mom and dad.

Sure, I get that - but I see people who are older than teens doing this also.

I'm also someone who never got smoking, so vaping and e-cigarettes aren't something I was ever gonna do.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007

I agree. I worked in a building where everyone vaped inside. I have no idea what I was exposed to.
at the same time...I think a more "rolled out" investigation would have been prudent. I have a friend whose son owned a vape shop....now he has no way to pay his bills.... they could have warned people so that they could get their affairs in order.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Anyone been to Savannah? Heading there with 6 friends for a long overdue girls weekend.

Reactions: Fenway

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I’m all checked in and the alarm is set for 4am. I have to be at Logan Express at 5 so I can get to Logan before the expressway and tunnels turn into a bleep show.

I’m absolutely terrified and I’m sure it’s going to be a rough night of tossing and turning.

I did land a seat in row 23 so that is a good sign right?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I’m all checked in and the alarm is set for 4am. I have to be at Logan Express at 5 so I can get to Logan before the expressway and tunnels turn into a bleep show.

I’m absolutely terrified and I’m sure it’s going to be a rough night of tossing and turning.

I did land a seat in row 23 so that is a good sign right?

You’ll be great, slayyyyy queen

Reactions: Alicat and Fenway

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Poutinerie by Air Canada to Pop Up in Boston's Downtown Crossing | Boston Restaurant Talk

According to a press release, the Poutinerie by Air Canada pop-up is coming to 267 Washington Street in Downtown Crossing, debuting on Thursday, October 3 and running through Sunday, October 13. The poutine pop-up, which will be open from 11:00 AM to 9:00 PM daily, will offer such options as a classic Montreal-style poutine (fries, cheese curds, and gravy), a Toronto version called "The North" (sharp cheddar cheese instead of curds and beer-braised pork added), and versions with international influences including Paris "'Tine de Triomphe" (fries, duck confit, creme de brie, black pepper), Sao Paulo "Sampa" (thick-cut fries, grilled hanger steak, chimichurri), Tokyo "The Shibu-yeah!" (thick-cut fries, ground pork, ponzu and sesame sauce, pickled daikon or shredded carrot, ginger), and others. Boston is the fourth city to host Poutinerie by Air Canada, with the pop-up previously coming to Washington, DC, London, and Denver.

Proceeds from the Poutinerie by Air Canada pop-up will benefit About Fresh, a Boston-based nonprofit that helps bring healthy food to those in need.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Anyone been to Savannah? Heading there with 6 friends for a long overdue girls weekend.

Made a brief stop once. Did the river walk or whatever it’s called and Forsyth Park. Neat little place that you could easily spend a couple days bar/restaurant hopping.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Some weird shit been happening at the lady friends house, as reported by the tenants upstairs. I’ve noticed a couple odd things on the first floor myself but I’m not one to be TOO spooked by matters of the super natural.

She had the house blessed today. Both floors, basement, attic, porches. The whole nine. A spirit medium type friend of hers was at the house for over 2 hours throwing salt and incense all over the place. It smells like a Bath and Body Works shop up in here now. But, supposedly the mean spirits (i was told not to use the word ghost) are gone and only the nice one stayed.

I asked to not be told anything. As long as I’m blissfully ignorant I’ll sleep just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad