OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic 2019 part XVI - Hockey Is Coming!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I've never done job interviews via skype before so I have no idea what to wear or what to really expect.

Any tips are welcome!

:)

I've done a few over Google Hangouts. I'll tell you what I liked and didn't like:

One guy wouldn't turn on his camera so that was a huge negative for me (he didn't get a sniff of the job)
I look for someone well dressed (of course this all depends on the position) but we do ask candidates to dress professionally for interviews

Just look into the camera as if you're face to face with them and act like you're in the same room. It's a bit odd but after you get rolling I'm sure you'll be fine

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
This was for ASU's club teams. They had 128 kids trying out. Looks like they're going to have a D1, D2 and a couple of prospect teams. The second night went much better, though it seems apparent to me that if I have any future at this level it's more likely as a liney than a ref. These kids are FAST!
that's awesome!!

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I've done a few over Google Hangouts. I'll tell you what I liked and didn't like:

One guy wouldn't turn on his camera so that was a huge negative for me (he didn't get a sniff of the job)
I look for someone well dressed (of course this all depends on the position) but we do ask candidates to dress professionally for interviews

Just look into the camera as if you're face to face with them and act like you're in the same room. It's a bit odd but after you get rolling I'm sure you'll be fine

Thanks!!

I keep hearing that you should dress up like you would if you were going to an in person meeting which is fine but weird since I will be at home.

I just need to get over that and take a lot of deep breaths.

I'd be daring and go nude. Guaranteed nobody else would think that far outside the box...:naughty:

Trust me, no one wants to see me au natural these days.

Give me about 6 months and maybe it would be a remote possibility ;)

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Thanks!!

I keep hearing that you should dress up like you would if you were going to an in person meeting which is fine but weird since I will be at home.

I just need to get over that and take a lot of deep breaths.

Trust me, no one wants to see me au natural these days.

Give me about 6 months and maybe it would be a remote possibility ;)

Just be yourself and you'll be fine.

jangerhofer

Dec 22, 2018
New Hampshire
I've never done job interviews via skype before so I have no idea what to wear or what to really expect.

Any tips are welcome!

:)
Technical difficulties are practically inevitable if you make even a modest number of calls; dropped calls, audio & video cutting in and out, and garbled voices are part and parcel. So, be prepared to take that in stride.

Also, do both yourself and the person on the other end a favor and use headphones with a mic if you have them! I haven't used Skype in a while, but Google Hangouts already has relatively low fidelity audio and any echoes in the room on the other end can make it even more difficult to carry on the conversation. Headphones prevent feedback from your speakers and the mic makes the input as crisp as reasonably possible (before it gets compressed down in transmission).

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Technical difficulties are practically inevitable if you make even a modest number of calls; dropped calls, audio & video cutting in and out, and garbled voices are part and parcel. So, be prepared to take that in stride.

Also, do both yourself and the person on the other end a favor and use headphones with a mic if you have them! I haven't used Skype in a while, but Google Hangouts already has relatively low fidelity audio and any echoes in the room on the other end can make it even more difficult to carry on the conversation. Headphones prevent feedback from your speakers and the mic makes the input as crisp as reasonably possible (before it gets compressed down in transmission).
Thanks!

I have my headphones ready to go and my internet is pretty reliable so I should be good to go.

My only concern is the witch upstairs. I can't control her so I'm screwed if she starts blaring her music which she tends to do when I am home.

I'm going to keep positive thoughts and maybe just maybe, she finally found a job.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Thanks!

I have my headphones ready to go and my internet is pretty reliable so I should be good to go.

My only concern is the witch upstairs. I can't control her so I'm screwed if she starts blaring her music which she tends to do when I am home.

I'm going to keep positive thoughts and maybe just maybe, she finally found a job.

I would march my ass right upstairs and lay it out on the line. Do you!

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Thanks!

Well if she does get on her broom and starts raising hell, you can use that for a prime reason for why you're looking to relocate :nod:

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Thanks!!

That's what they say, but you can just wear shorts or sleep pants and no shoes. Just your upper half that goes in front of the camera should look professional :D

Reactions: Alicat

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Here's proof that no matter how good your system is (and I have no doubt that it's good), people will find a way to misuse it. And, heck, this doesn't have to do at all with actual visit documentation, so it's kind of unrelated...

I brought my dad to the MEEI location in Stoneham for an appointment maybe 2-3 years ago, fairly soon after they started implementing their new computer system. His appointment didn't show up in the system. After a little digital forensic sleuthing, the woman at the desk apologized...a few weeks ago, we had to move his podiatry appointment to another date, and, apparently, the podiatrist's office managed to not only cancel his old podiatry appointment, but also his ophtho appointment.

They managed to squeeze us in to what was an already hectic day for my dad's ophtho, but kudos to them for squeezing us in, particularly since it was pretty much a routine appointment.
The bolded is the important part. There's always a learning curve, so this sort of thing doesn't surprise me. Unfortunately, no one probably followed up with the podiatrist's office to point out the error and provide a teaching opportunity.

Reactions: talkinaway

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2019-8-27_13-3-0.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad