OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic 2019 part XIX -Holiday Shopping Done ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
Money troubles are over:

Woman discovers $37 million deposited into her personal bank account

Dallas (KTVT) -- Two days ago, Ruth Balloon was finishing up her shift at Roma Boots in Dallas.

She said she was having a good day.

Things got more interesting a little later when she decided to check her account at LegacyTexas Bank.

“I was like, ‘wow, we have a lot of money’!”

Ruth’s account had an extra $37,203,337 in it.

Balloon said they were told it was a clerical error. The bank apologized and took back the money.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Awesome. We are driving 4 older vehicles,but being a retired mechanic,I keep them as new as I can.
Two 2007 cars here, both well maintained. Working from home for the past year, I didn’t need to spring for a new(er) one. I don’t really care about cars. When we have to replace the ones we have now, it will be with cash.

Reactions: BNHL and TD Charlie

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Two 2007 cars here, both well maintained. Working from home for the past year, I didn’t need to spring for a new(er) one. I don’t really care about cars. When we have to replace the ones we have now, it will be with cash.

We had a little hatchback built in 2005 that we recently sold. Earlier this year it had a fuel injector issue so we took it to the local dealership to be repaired. They said something along of the lines of 'well this car is ancient so it may take us a while to get the right parts'.

The parts are by and by, but since when did a 14-year-old car, in pretty decent condition, become 'ancient'? How have we come to have such a disposable society where anything more than a few years old, or which isn't quite the latest spec or tech or fashion, simply has to be replaced, over and over again? Sad.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Maybe don’t order an overnight roast beef by UPS when you’ve had consistent delivery delays. Just a thought.

Hey UPS, where's the beef?

mggwm.jpg

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Same here,my 2003 F150 only has 74K on it,wife has a 2013 CRV,kids drive a 2006 Infiniti and a 2007 Honda Pilot. Wife will probably be ugrading,but she'll take the money from savings and pay it back to savings.

Reactions: sooshii

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Maybe don’t order an overnight roast beef by UPS when you’ve had consistent delivery delays. Just a thought.

Textbook victim-blaming mentality.

They probably do Omaha Steaks or something similar on a regular basis and it was never an issue before. There's no evidence of "consistent" delays. Just one other recent one. I guess people should all boycott places like Omaha Steaks and put them all out of business because of UPS?

Reactions: BMC and shoulders7

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
My heart too big and I keep on doing dumb **** like helping the wrong people.

Ex kept crying to me she needs her phone bill paid cuz she has a new job and not having a phone # would make her look unprofessional she swears up and down she will pay me back with interest. $100. That was like late October.

She said she would pay me back this week. I ask today she says I must be hard up. Starts talking **** and saying no need to txt me anymore I have ur FB I can send ur $$$ that way

This infuriates and enrages me to the highest extent. Not only that but she asked me to go with her the day before Thanksgiving so she could finish up shopping. At the check out it was OMG I forgot my card so WHO paid for a good portion of her Thanksgiving meal? ME

Ungrateful ass user *****.......................All the **** I have done for her and her children.....................Hope she never txt me again. Just will tell her homeless ass(shes living with a friend but Im hard up LMAO) to go ask one of her kids fathers or one of her friends she always brags about.
I don't know why you're crying... just keep giving her money and STOP crying. STOP blaming her, you only have yourself to blame.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
My heart too big and I keep on doing dumb **** like helping the wrong people.

Ex kept crying to me she needs her phone bill paid cuz she has a new job and not having a phone # would make her look unprofessional she swears up and down she will pay me back with interest. $100. That was like late October.

She said she would pay me back this week. I ask today she says I must be hard up. Starts talking **** and saying no need to txt me anymore I have ur FB I can send ur $$$ that way

This infuriates and enrages me to the highest extent. Not only that but she asked me to go with her the day before Thanksgiving so she could finish up shopping. At the check out it was OMG I forgot my card so WHO paid for a good portion of her Thanksgiving meal? ME

Ungrateful ass user *****.......................All the **** I have done for her and her children.....................Hope she never txt me again. Just will tell her homeless ass(shes living with a friend but Im hard up LMAO) to go ask one of her kids fathers or one of her friends she always brags about.

I had a very similar situation relayed to me by a meditation student of mine a few years ago, but it involved drugs and a family member.

Although I respect and appreciate your compassion. (compassion is never wrong), you are not helping her by not letting her hit rock bottom. Sometimes people cant rise until they sink. You deny people their process when you try to "fix" it. (I know thats not how you described it) If she is attempting to help herself and you are assisting, thats one thing, but if shes in victim mentality, that's a concern.

Boundary setting is good self-care. (no guilt attached because you are standing in your truth) When you draw a boundary it puts you in the power position, however, more importantly, it encourages the other person to rise or "figure it out". You make space for that person to succeed by saying..."I will do this much and that's what I can do."
She may not be "trying" to be a taker, but simply hasn't found that strong spot--people stay in a victim mentality because they are scared to death to think they can be strong. Taking care of ourselves requires great courage. Not everybody has their shit together enough to manage their life.

You respect her best by saying...."I"m sorry, I can't help you, but maybe you could try this resource..." (Just a thought) Letting things "fall apart" is the portal to creating something new. (she needs to fall apart completely).

*This is also a great time to examine WHY you help her....what internal space does that fill for you? *

Do good self care. Blessings....

Last edited:

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
I am looking forward to the feeling of some debts going away. having to wait til 2021 though - but that will be a good year. That year, the youngest turns 23 and I get to stop paying "child support" for a kid who's almost never under her roof (Massachusetts absolutely screws divorced dads), then he graduates college, and I stop paying both his tuition and his rent (my portion anyway), then my car is paid off. It will be like getting a whole 'nother paycheck every month. Can't wait for that.

On a different note, my oldest is out for a few days visiting, and we went to TopGolf last night - SO MUCH FUN!. Then we went golfing today. Little bastard rented clubs and wore just his sneakers on a wet course, and still was 1 under. I haven't played in about 2 years, so it was just good to swing the sticks. Had more good shots than bad too, which was a nice surprise.

Gonna finish off his visit with dinner at the little French bistro that's quickly becoming one of our favorite places .

I highly recommend Amuse Bouche restaurant if you are ever in the middle of the Sonoran Desert and craving beer bourguignon. :nod:

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
I feel you. I’m currently in the hair cut regret phase. It looks fine but I’m annoyed at all the little fly away pieces.

I wish my hair curled because it would be a game changer. Sadly, I’m stuck with straight hair with no volume.

first world girl problems

Ladies....ladies. Do you all own an electric round brush?

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
We had a little hatchback built in 2005 that we recently sold. Earlier this year it had a fuel injector issue so we took it to the local dealership to be repaired. They said something along of the lines of 'well this car is ancient so it may take us a while to get the right parts'.

The parts are by and by, but since when did a 14-year-old car, in pretty decent condition, become 'ancient'? How have we come to have such a disposable society where anything more than a few years old, or which isn't quite the latest spec or tech or fashion, simply has to be replaced, over and over again? Sad.
A couple of years ago I was at the Duxbury yacht club waiting to pick up my daughter from sailing lessons. I was in line with my 15 year old truck and the guy in front of me was driving a 130K Mercedes. I remember thinking,"we're at the exact same place doing the exact same thing,but I'm doing it for free and you spent 130K!

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Yankee Candle is having a sale of buy 3 get 3 free.

I got the vent clip air fresheners which last for quite some time.

I almost bought a diffuser while in the store but waited until I got home and got one plus essential oils.

I’m officially hooked on Catching Rays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2