OT: Off Topic 2019 part XIII - The Dog Days Of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I am awake in the recovery room after hip replacement - feeling NO pain :)

HF has moved to a new server in Mexico and it had issues last night with the Toronto trade

Glad to hear that, my friend.

Wishing you a fast and smooth recovery.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Update on the week:

l29icUYbAbGQU.gif

And let's just say of the two, I am not the one doing the driving

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I just returned from the funeral of my nephew's friend. It was a beautiful service and the church was packed with family & friends.

It was very hard to see his parents, younger brother, both sets of grandparents & the rest of the family. They are just devastated. His young friends are devastated too. I made the mistake of looking behind at my nephew and niece and that's when I lost it too.

Justin was a friendly boy with a bright smile for everyone he met. He was majoring in communications, a great choice given his sparkling personality and he had so much to look forward to in life. Now his family & friends will have to go on without him.

Tell your kids and your friends' kids: Put that damn seat belt on every time you get in any vehicle. It will save your life.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
I just returned from the funeral of my nephew's friend. It was a beautiful service and the church was packed with family & friends.

It was very hard to see his parents, younger brother, both sets of grandparents & the rest of the family. They are just devastated. His young friends are devastated too. I made the mistake of looking behind at my nephew and niece and that's when I lost it too.

Justin was a friendly boy with a bright smile for everyone he met. He was majoring in communications, a great choice given his sparkling personality and he had so much to look forward to in life. Now his family & friends will have to go on without him.

Tell your kids and your friends' kids: Put that damn seat belt on every time you get in any vehicle. It will save your life.
Holding the space for you, that's really sad.

Reactions: BMC

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton

That and side air bags are probably what saved my manager on Sunday

2ltpmyb.jpg

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
My favorite course in college was a seminar on Thomas Jefferson. Professor was secretary of the American Philosophical Society, and had connections at Monticello. Took a class trip to UVA (where I presented my paper on the UVA gardens, designed by Jefferson), and a private tour of Monticello. Needless to say, I'm a Jefferson fan. Colonial and post-Revolutionary War era is my wheelhouse.

Very nice.

To me, Jefferson is indeed an "American Sphynx" (Joseph Ellis). He was, of course, one of our founders, and exceedingly keen as a political player. He brought us LA.

He was also perpetually in debt (likely the main reason he destested the English, his debtors), a slave holder, and an intriguer against Washington (sic). He was also less than decisive about building Monticello. My understanding is that he died in debt, having sold off all his books, with Monticello still unfinished.

That is the short, perhaps inaccurate verssion.

Again, with due credit to his genius, I'll take Hamilton & Washington.

But that's me. Would love to visit Mt. Vernon.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I need to study the revolutionary period more, I have a few books on the founders & the Federalist Papers but that's all. Many years ago I read a book on the Constitutional Convention, "Miracle At Philadelphia" by an author named Catherine Drinker Bowen. A very old book, I think it was published in the 1920s. I thought it was outstanding. I haven't been able to locate another copy though. Big fan of Churchill too. Washington & Lincoln are my favorite Presidents. I've followed domestic & foreign policy for years.. I follow domestic politics so I'll have a better idea of who/what I'm voting for/against. Politics in this country is a **** hole and has been for decades. It isn't a wonder that good people won't run.

Thanks for your reply.

There are, of course, many, many books to check relative to American history. If you ever wish a partial list of favorites, please inform.

I still follow domestic and foreign policy, but confess domestic (and international) politics offers little but depression these days. It's a difficult time.

PS Do you have a contemporary American political favorite or two?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad