OT: Off Topic 2019 part XI- how do I Oobah?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nazartp

Apr 5, 2006
Well, lost my job yesterday. Took a bit for it to set in.

Not really sure what to do.

Well, that sucks... Good luck. If you feel like it, PM me your field and I'll see if I know anyone in the industry.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
JRull86 said:

--------------------------------------------------------------
The shift always means something that serves you better is coming.
Take a few days to transition, you'll figure it out my friend.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
JRull86 said:

--------------------------------------------------------------
The shift always means something that serves you better is coming.
Take a few days to transition, you'll figure it out my friend.

Amen Kovi. That is very, very true

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
As for Uber & Lyft- I suppose eventually I will have to use one or the other the next time I go to Boston but I really, really do not want to. I went to download their apps once and they wanted ALL my contact info etc etc and I said f*** that, that is off limits & stopped the download. I treasure my privacy fiercely and that apparently is a no no in the digital age.

Reactions: Dreghorn2

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Has anyone here used uber before? If so, how does it work? We downloaded the app and we want to use it for a show we're going to tonight. Do you schedule a pickup or just call for one when you want it?

I've used it with my family while on vacation.

I will not let my 18 year old daughter to use it alone. Only if she's with 2 or more friends.

My cousin is a cop in a mid-sized city and he once told me that he's never pulled over an Uber/Lyft driver that didn't have some kind of "prior" that was significant enough to make him comfortable letting his daughter use it.

No offense to any drivers out there....I just feel safer if mine uses a legitimate cab company with a dispatcher and Hack #.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
I've used it with my family while on vacation.

I will not let my 18 year old daughter to use it alone. Only if she's with 2 or more friends.

My cousin is a cop in a mid-sized city and he once told me that he's never pulled over an Uber/Lyft driver that didn't have some kind of "prior" that was significant enough to make him comfortable letting his daughter use it.

No offense to any drivers out there....I just feel safer if mine uses a legitimate cab company with a dispatcher and Hack #.

I can agree with that. My niece-in-law is an Uber driver in Mesa, AZ, she has told us some hair raising stories.

Reactions: BMC and sarge88

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
As for Uber & Lyft- I suppose eventually I will have to use one or the other the next time I go to Boston but I really, really do not want to. I went to download their apps once and they wanted ALL my contact info etc etc and I said **** that, that is off limits & stopped the download. I treasure my privacy fiercely and that apparently is a no no in the digital age.

Yeah, some of these apps I'd be leery about handing over credit/debit card info. For instance, the McDonald's app in Canada was recently hacked:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/mcdonald-s-app-fraudster-online-account-1.5113012

Reactions: BMC

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
My frustration with uber/lyft drivers who constantly screw up rush hour even more than usual by parking in traffic lanes and putting their hazards on......like that makes it any better......makes me wish for my own infinity gauntlet. One snap and I'd make them all disappear.

How do the cops allow this? Are they getting kickbacks? They could simply stand at pretty much any intersection and double or even triple their ticket revenue if they started enforcing parking laws even just a little bit against these two services downtown.

Reactions: talkinaway

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
@LSCII Uber will provide the Make/model of car and license plate. Confirm before you get in the car.
(This advice more applicable to females riding solo, but...)

@JRull86 sorry about your job. I went through it not long ago. It really tests your resiliency.

Reactions: LSCII and BMC

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
As for Uber & Lyft- I suppose eventually I will have to use one or the other the next time I go to Boston but I really, really do not want to. I went to download their apps once and they wanted ALL my contact info etc etc and I said **** that, that is off limits & stopped the download. I treasure my privacy fiercely and that apparently is a no no in the digital age.
The little podunk town I’m from announced this week that parking on Main Street will be paid for using an app. Can’t get nobody to go downtown in the first place.

My gym wanted me to download an app to sign up for classes. I’m in there 4 days a week, I’ll just do it at the counter thanks. Can’t tell me all the “Silver Sneakers” folks are using the “mind/body” app.

Reactions: Kovi and BMC

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I'm male, and I'd definitely give the license plate a once-over before I got in, and happily show my driver whatever confirmation s/he needs when I get in. In fact, that's one of the reasons I've always thought of Ubers as safer than taxis - if you use them correctly (get into the right car at the right place), there's an electronic trail. I'm not sure how often police actually are able to use that, but it feels like it's more helpful to know "X got into Y's Uber car at 11:30 PM" rather than "We last saw X at the bar, and they said they were going to take a cab".

A few years ago, pre-Uber, I had a cab take me to Logan where I was about 95% sure "something" was wrong - either drowzy after a late night out, or some kind of substance...the driver just seemed groggy. But honestly, I was too paralyzed to say or do anything, because he (ostensibly) knew where I lived. I just told him to drive slow and white-knuckled it. Called the cab company at the airport. Probably should have gotten out, but didn't want him casing my place.

The little podunk town I’m from announced this week that parking on Main Street will be paid for using an app. Can’t get nobody to go downtown in the first place.

My gym wanted me to download an app to sign up for classes. I’m in there 4 days a week, I’ll just do it at the counter thanks. Can’t tell me all the “Silver Sneakers” folks are using the “mind/body” app.

I love tech - I'll always order my sweetgreen salad with their app, since it's easier than pointing at everything I want, and I'm (theoretically) more likely to get what I actually ordered if it's written down rather than spoken into the ether. It's also faster. But I also worry about the folks left behind - sweetgreen just now started accepting cash payment, which is a step forward for those who don't want or can't get credit cards. Same for the tolls in Boston - they just eliminated a lot (all?) toll booths on 128, the major road into and out of Boston. The commute is faster, and it's easy to pay with the EZ-pass in my car. But folks without those (due to no credit card, or just not having the time to go and get one) have to pay a (small, but non-zero) surcharge when they capture your license plate. Same with the new app you use to park at a lot of MBTA stations - you pay $6 on weekdays to park if you use the app, or $7 if you want them to bill you at the end of the month. That's $20 a work month in surcharges if you don't use the app.[/user]

Reactions: BMC and sooshii

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The thing with uber is that both the drivers and the passengers are rated by each other, so the system works itself out that people are generally at their best.

Drivers want the higher rating so they can get better shifts and bonuses, so often they'll have perks for you or treat you well. Passengers want to keep up a higher rating so that drivers consider it worth their time to actually pick you up, so they generally behave themselves and tip. Basically, it hits an equilibrium where generally it's a good service for everyone.

Compare that to a cab where you're picked up by some rude guy who smells like cabbage or driving a taxi and not knowing whether the person you're picking up is going to puke on your back seat

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
I'm male, and I'd definitely give the license plate a once-over before I got in, and happily show my driver whatever confirmation s/he needs when I get in. In fact, that's one of the reasons I've always thought of Ubers as safer than taxis - if you use them correctly (get into the right car at the right place), there's an electronic trail. I'm not sure how often police actually are able to use that, but it feels like it's more helpful to know "X got into Y's Uber car at 11:30 PM" rather than "We last saw X at the bar, and they said they were going to take a cab".

A few years ago, pre-Uber, I had a cab take me to Logan where I was about 95% sure "something" was wrong - either drowzy after a late night out, or some kind of substance...the driver just seemed groggy. But honestly, I was too paralyzed to say or do anything, because he (ostensibly) knew where I lived. I just told him to drive slow and white-knuckled it. Called the cab company at the airport. Probably should have gotten out, but didn't want him casing my place.

I love tech - I'll always order my sweetgreen salad with their app, since it's easier than pointing at everything I want, and I'm (theoretically) more likely to get what I actually ordered if it's written down rather than spoken into the ether. It's also faster. But I also worry about the folks left behind - sweetgreen just now started accepting cash payment, which is a step forward for those who don't want or can't get credit cards. Same for the tolls in Boston - they just eliminated a lot (all?) toll booths on 128, the major road into and out of Boston. The commute is faster, and it's easy to pay with the EZ-pass in my car. But folks without those (due to no credit card, or just not having the time to go and get one) have to pay a (small, but non-zero) surcharge when they capture your license plate. Same with the new app you use to park at a lot of MBTA stations - you pay $6 on weekdays to park if you use the app, or $7 if you want them to bill you at the end of the month. That's $20 a work month in surcharges if you don't use the app.[/user]
I’m all for apps that make things easier for ME and against loading up my phone with apps that only benefit the businesses I’m patronizing.

Reactions: BMC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad