OT: Off Topic 2019 part XI- how do I Oobah?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I've seen these in Maine too.

Last time I drove out to PA, I saw one with a wrecked truck on it. Those things are no joke, a steep decline will burn out a truck's brakes in no time, then it's just a big toboggan you have to steer into the ramp.

Reactions: BMC

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Yep, the valley winds. About 6 years ago, my sister in Moscow had an accident horseback riding and was in the hospital in bad shape. I had to drive my mom and sisters out there in the middle of the night in a rain/windstorm, and I drive a Jeep Wrangler with the aerodynamics of a cinder block. That thing was switching lanes without me doing anything to the wheel (except yanking it in the other direction). Don't even think about when it snows.

Took a drive all the way down 80 on New Years Eve, had snow follow me the entire drive. Walked into the house with just enough time to grab a hat, kazoo, and join the countdown. That was probably the worst drive I’ve ever done.

And of course there are jackalopes in AWD sports cars doing twice the speed of traffic, blazing their own tracks through the snow.

Reactions: Kovi

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
I know them well. Lived in Wilkes-Barre and my sister lives in Moscow outside Scranton. Any time you see one of these, you know the driving is hazardous.

View attachment 230171

Heh. Allow me to tell you a story about two people who drove a rental truck 2800 miles...and pulling a car on a carrier saw these driving up and down the hills near Flagstaff, Arizona at 9pm at night (with everything we owned). And allow me to tell you about the 18-wheelers that were passing us at 90 mph as we chugged up and down the road.
Allow me to tell you how one said female passenger did. not. say. a word.

Reactions: BMC and nazartp

nazartp

Apr 5, 2006
Heh. Allow me to tell you a story about two people who drove a rental truck 2800 miles...and pulling a car on a carrier saw these driving up and down the hills near Flagstaff, Arizona at 9pm at night (with everything we owned). And allow me to tell you about the 18-wheelers that were passing us at 90 mph as we chugged up and down the road.
Allow me to tell you how one said female passenger did. not. say. a word.
I did it about 15 years ago moving from Mississippi to NJ. Going through TN, WV, PA was fine, but try finding a gas station to fuel a truck with a car carrier in a fancy suburb in NJ.

nazartp

Apr 5, 2006
I know them well. Lived in Wilkes-Barre and my sister lives in Moscow outside Scranton. Any time you see one of these, you know the driving is hazardous.

View attachment 230171
"Moscow outside Scranton" is such an odd turn of a phrase to a Russian ear... Same as Tula and Berlin were neighboring towns in MS on Rt. 6.

Last edited:

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
"Moscow outside Scranton" is such an odd turn of a phrase to a Russian ear... Same was as Tula and Berlin were neighboring town in MS on Rt. 6.

Trust me, Moscow PA looks nothing like Moscow Russia. It has 2 sort of main roads, some others that are basically rural ways with a few houses/farms, and then nothing but deer huntin' country.

Reactions: TD Charlie

nazartp

Apr 5, 2006
Trust me, Moscow PA looks nothing like Moscow Russia. It has 2 sort of main roads, some others that are basically rural ways with a few houses/farms, and then nothing but deer huntin' country.
I figured. :) I now live in a rural area and avoid major cities like a plague.

Reactions: BMC

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Went to my PCP for a physical today and was due for my tetanus booster.

Those f***ers make your arm hurt.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

Those ****ers make your arm hurt.

Had my booster in March.

The only thing that hurts worse is the Typhoid shot.

I got it before I went to Manila and couldn’t sleep on that side for a week

nazartp

Apr 5, 2006

Those ****ers make your arm hurt.
On the bright side - you'll live if you step on a rusty nail :) Had mine a couple of years ago once we set up a machine shop in the basement. I now also need to have my eyes xrayed every time I have an MRI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad