OT: Off Topic 2019 part XI- how do I Oobah?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Has anyone here used uber before? If so, how does it work? We downloaded the app and we want to use it for a show we're going to tonight. Do you schedule a pickup or just call for one when you want it?

Reactions: Alicat

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
The app uses your current location and finds a car close by. Make sure to look up coupons. I believe it's $10 off your first ride.

It's a great concept

We got one when we got home from Florida at 11:00pm. we were home by 11:30.

Reactions: LSCII

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Has anyone here used uber before? If so, how does it work? We downloaded the app and we want to use it for a show we're going to tonight. Do you schedule a pickup or just call for one when you want it?

Either. Only you don't call, you use the app to request a ride. To schedule for the future, just click on the clock/car icon to the right of the "Where to?" box. To request one right now, put your destination in the "Where to?" box.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Either. Only you don't call, you use the app to request a ride. To schedule for the future, just click on the clock/car icon to the right of the "Where to?" box. To request one right now, put your destination in the "Where to?" box.

I didn't mean physically call, I meant via the app that we did download. I wasn't sure how you did it though. If we simply request a ride from a location, how long does it usually take for them to show up? We're going for dinner and drinks pre show and want to uber from the bar we're going to be at, but don't want to have them come too early or too late. Is there some way they tell you how long it will be? Sorry for being ignorant about it, I've just never had to use the service before. lol

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I didn't mean physically call, I meant via the app that we did download. I wasn't sure how you did it though. If we simply request a ride from a location, how long does it usually take for them to show up? We're going for dinner and drinks pre show and want to uber from the bar we're going to be at, but don't want to have them come too early or too late. Is there some way they tell you how long it will be? Sorry for being ignorant about it, I've just never had to use the service before. lol

You will get a display of how many Uber vehicles are around your area after you enter the destination, so you can estimate. Then as soon as you book the ride, there is a display of how far your driver is, the route they are taking, and how long till they arrive . It should be pretty quick, depending on how active the evening is. I used Uber exclusively in Vegas, and it was never more than 10-15 minutes to get a ride, usually quicker. If you are in a heavy entertainment area, I would give it a 10 minute window.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
You will get a display of how many Uber vehicles are around your area after you enter the destination, so you can estimate. Then as soon as you book the ride, there is a display of how far your driver is, the route they are taking, and how long till they arrive . It should be pretty quick, depending on how active the evening is. I used Uber exclusively in Vegas, and it was never more than 10-15 minutes to get a ride, usually quicker. If you are in a heavy entertainment area, I would give it a 10 minute window.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it! We're in the middle of nowhere, in a podunk town, but it'sright next to Worcester and going to a show downtown in Worcester. The big issue is that none of us involved have never used it. lol

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it! We're in the middle of nowhere, in a podunk town, but it'sright next to Worcester and going to a show downtown in Worcester. The big issue is that none of us involved have never used it. lol

You could always order the last round, and then schedule a ride for 20 minutes in the future (less or more depending on how fast you drink, lol).

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
As long as we're on the off-topic of Uber - for anyone who's used it at the Garden or Fenway, how exactly does it work? I remember vaguely seeing signs for "Uber pickup areas", but I don't know where those are, and I don't know exactly how it works when you're dealing in highly crowded venues where everyone's going to be Ubering at the same time. It just doesn't seem to be feasable to walk out onto Causeway after a game and wait for a car...but is that how it works?

The issue almost came up for me at the 2OT game last Saturday - literally ended just past midnight, and it was fairly easy to make the T, but if it had gone into 3OT, I probably would have needed to Uber.

I'm also in the crowd of "never used Uber", but I have it on my phone just in case, and I've played around with the UI just to get a feel for how to do it and how much it would cost. Also, advice for anyone taking Uber: check the plates. Best case scenario, you avoid taking someone else's Uber by accident.

Reactions: Alicat

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
As long as we're on the off-topic of Uber - for anyone who's used it at the Garden or Fenway, how exactly does it work? I remember vaguely seeing signs for "Uber pickup areas", but I don't know where those are, and I don't know exactly how it works when you're dealing in highly crowded venues where everyone's going to be Ubering at the same time. It just doesn't seem to be feasable to walk out onto Causeway after a game and wait for a car...but is that how it works?

The issue almost came up for me at the 2OT game last Saturday - literally ended just past midnight, and it was fairly easy to make the T, but if it had gone into 3OT, I probably would have needed to Uber.

I'm also in the crowd of "never used Uber", but I have it on my phone just in case, and I've played around with the UI just to get a feel for how to do it and how much it would cost. Also, advice for anyone taking Uber: check the plates. Best case scenario, you avoid taking someone else's Uber by accident.

Here's what Uber says:

TD Garden | Ride Uber

And what the Garden says (including a discount code):

Uber | TD Garden | TD Garden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad