OT: Off Topic 2019 part VII - Boston now ranked WORST in rush hour traffic in US - #8 in the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
Alright I'm pretty bored at work so here are some of the breweries that I really like

- 14th Star - about 20 minutes north of Burlington, but a great brewery. Veteran owned. My personal favorite in the state. There's a burger place attached. Favorite beer from them is Valor

- Switchback - another favorite of mine, located near the waterfront in Burlington. The classic Switchback Ale is a must if you have never had it. And get it on tap. Makes a huge difference, no lie. Switchback is available literally everywhere though, so if you only have time to visit a few take that under advisement

- Zero Gravity - great variety of beer, a really nice interior too. Downtown area Shuffleboard and lots of games and some TV's. Conehead is a must try but also pretty common

- Stone Corral - had tried their beer pretty often, but have gone to the brewery a few times and it has quickly become a favorite of mine. About 15-20 away from Burlington. Really good food too, I always get the mac and cheese with buffalo chicken

- Lawsons - a bit further away but if you're in the area a really good visit. Amazing new facility. Nicest looking brewery I've ever seen. And some of the best beer in the state. I had a Knockout Blonde there a few weeks ago that was great

- Burlington Beer Company - last time I came here I was pretty impressed with the variety of beers they had, all that I had were good too. Lots of board games there too to keep you busy. And some food

Now if you want to visit some restaurants...

- Manhattans Pizza - located right downtown, probably the best beer selection in the state in my opinion. Every time I've been there they've had Heady Topper, Focal Banger, and other stuff thats pretty tough to get your hands on. Pizza is good too. My only advice is don't go too late. It gets pretty busy as the night goes on, and turns more from a restaurant/pub to more of just a bar as the night goes on. So if you go for a late dinner you may have trouble getting a seat and there will probably be more college hooligans.

- El Gato - good Mexican place also downtown

- Vermont Pub and Brewery - I do not think this place is all that great but it checks a lot of boxes. The beer is average at best. The food is decent. But the good news is it has a lot of both. Its a very safe choice. Nothing amazing but its easy. Better in the summer because it has a great patio.

- Farmhouse - good American style food, great beer selection. Kind of pricey though

As far as what else to do in the area...

Downtown Church Street has a ton of shops, food, bars. Could make a whole day down there just eating drinking and browsing. Can head down to the waterfront, there's a museum "Echo" down there too. Haven't been in years so can't exactly vouch for it. Skiing of course if you're into that thing. I like the other posters idea of going to a UVM hockey game too.

Honestly when I think about it theres not much to do here besides drink a lot so I hope you are down to do that :laugh:

I'll keep thinking. Let me know if you have any questions
This is perfect!! Thank you! We just got back from Waterbury. Went to a brewery called Prohibition Pig. Good food. Good brews. We will definitely check out some of these. We are staying about a few minutes walk from church street.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Emerz, cant find your OP. I"m so sorry for your loss. Consider yourself hugged.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
This is perfect!! Thank you! We just got back from Waterbury. Went to a brewery called Prohibition Pig. Good food. Good brews. We will definitely check out some of these. We are staying about a few minutes walk from church street.

Sweet. Yeah never been there, but I have heard of it. Pretty sure they win a lot of awards for best spirits or something?

Another couple restaurants I should mention are Folino's and American Flatbread if you like pizza. Both flatbread style pizzas and very good. The Folinos in Shelburne (there's one in Burlington as well) is BYOB, and its attached to a brewery (Fiddlehead brewery, very good) so it is pretty cool. You can actually order your food, walk to the brewery in the same building, order a growler/pints, and come back with them. Thats my favorite pizza in the area I can't believe I forgot it.

American Flatbread is good too, its located downtown so walkable for you. Similar flatbread pizza they cook over a fire, very good, and it also has a small brewery sort of thing in it (Zero Gravity I believe) so they will have a ton of beers as well. Both of those are more sit down style restaurants than Manhattans Pizza which is more of a pub style which I mentioned before

Reactions: GlenFeatherstone

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I went there when I was 8 and I've always wanted to go back. I'm a space nerd in addition to being a Bruins fan :nod:
I actually miss the space shuttles. :laugh: I'd love to see one of them that they have on display.

Reactions: BMC

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
IMG_20190219_093545.png

Reactions: BMC

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I miss food. I'm making progress but I want pasta so bad and I know its not a good idea.

I guess being hangry is a sign that I'm getting better?

At least the berry pedialyte and the packets of strawberry lemonade pedialyte are good.

Food poisoning is for the birds

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I miss food. I'm making progress but I want pasta so bad and I know its not a good idea.

At least the berry pedialyte and the packets of strawberry lemonade pedialyte are good.

a-freakin-men on that one.

Got it really bad once in college. Lost 11lbs overnight from "evacuating" and got dehydration hallucinations. Ended up at Health Services all day getting 8 bags of IV

Reactions: Dr Hook and Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
a-freakin-men on that one.

Got it really bad once in college. Lost 11lbs overnight from "evacuating" and got dehydration hallucinations. Ended up at Health Services all day getting 8 bags of IV

No hallucinations thankfully. I don't want to go to the doctor but if I still can't eat normally by Friday, I know where I'll be Friday night after work..

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

Pedialyte? Isn't that for kids? :dunno: Glad you are feeling somewhat better it sounds like it really knocked you on your butt

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
No hallucinations thankfully. I don't want to go to the doctor but if I still can't eat normally by Friday, I know where I'll be Friday night after work..

yeah. thats what i had and my daughter. at least 3 days before i didnt feel full. pretty sure you got a bug and not food poisoning.

Reactions: Alicat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad