OT: Off Topic 2019 part VII - Boston now ranked WORST in rush hour traffic in US - #8 in the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
continue.

toocold.jpg

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Driving into work this morning on the pike and a massive chain reaction accident literally happened all around me. It was like something out of CHIPS, with cars sliding into each other and cutting across lanes to try and avoid hitting the person in front of them.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Driving into work this morning on the pike and a massive chain reaction accident literally happened all around me. It was like something out of CHIPS, with cars sliding into each other and cutting across lanes to try and avoid hitting the person in front of them.

Looks like Lou failed again.

Reactions: LSCII

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
There was a big accident on my commute in where Im at this morning.

I had a feeling. Theres normally minor traffic on my commute that I plan for.

But when I saw the fog this morning I had a strong feeling there was going to be an accident today :laugh:

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

Are you all right?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
@DKH, anyone that has ever worked at an Outback has no interest in eating a Bloomin' Onion or the cheese fries. I say this because they slotted how many of each they typically sold in an hour and they had them waiting if and when an order came in. After a certain time though, they'd put it out for the servers to eat as dead food, so I've had enough of both for a lifetime.

Reactions: DKH and CHRDANHUTCH

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
@DKH, anyone that has ever worked at an Outback has no interest in eating a Bloomin' Onion or the cheese fries. I say this because they slotted how many of each they typically sold in an hour and they had them waiting if and when an order came in. After a certain time though, they'd put it out for the servers to eat as dead food, so I've had enough of both for a lifetime.

I've been binge watching Gordon Ramsey YouTubes before bed this week. I know hes a bit of a mensch, but what he finds in restaurants is gross. It makes me not want to eat out ever again.

I actually had my first Outback experience Monday night in Mesa, AZ. It was meh.....I prolly wouldnt go back.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Big concert tonight. Neko Case is in town. If you haven't seen her, you might want to check her out.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I've been binge watching Gordon Ramsey YouTubes before bed this week. I know hes a bit of a mensch, but what he finds in restaurants is gross. It makes me not want to eat out ever again.

I actually had my first Outback experience Monday night in Mesa, AZ. It was meh.....I prolly wouldnt go back.
found out from his 16 yr old daughter he doesn't act that way in real life, and he's been instructed to tone the insults on Masterchef, Junior

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

They play up that stuff for his show and even go so far as to plant some of the more egregious things he "finds". So don't let that stop you from going out. Outback is really struggling as a franchise. It's expensive compared to places like the 99s or Chillis, and if you're taking the family out, it's not a good value.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
They play up that stuff for his show and even go so far as to plant some of the more egregious things he "finds". So don't let that stop you from going out. Outback is really struggling as a franchise. It's expensive compared to places like the 99s or Chillis, and if you're taking the family out, it's not a good value.
Outback has even scaled back team sponsorship too, as they had been an associate with Kevin Harvick/SHR until this season

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
We have both a Longhorn and an Outback in town. If given the choice, I'd choose Longhorn 8 days out of 7.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

sounds about right, I have countless Restaurant horror stories, I have been writing a book about the biz now for over 8 months, there`s been a few books about the restaurant biz but they speak too often from the chef`s perspective, Bourdain`s Kitchen Confidential was one, the few others I have read were mildly funny but written by some who seemed to have only worked in the biz a short time and for only a few restaurants, doesn`t really give you a true sense of what the biz is like.

The book I`m working on follows my travels, have also sat down with countless servers/cooks/chef`s and yes there is a difference (last count was over 100)who have been in the business who have shared their stories. Not a clue if I`ll just post it up online or what , not sure I`d get a bite from any publisher, thus far it, one of those I interviewed compared it to the adult film industry (not sure how he knows this:)), saying it`s a busy filled with shady characters who once they are done with ya, are more than ok with tossing you aside and bringin` on the next one.

This is my 31st year in the biz, worked in numerous places, have done my share of less than stellar things, have dealt with first rate dirtbag owners, managers and restaurant guests.....might only sell it to family or friends but it`s been a fun experience for one who is not close to being a polished writer to try to put together

nazartp

Apr 5, 2006
We have both a Longhorn and an Outback in town. If given the choice, I'd choose Longhorn 8 days out of 7.
Interesting, how many people are harping on Outback. I always liked it, but haven't been to it recently. Never found the experience in Texas Roadhouse, Longhorn or Outback significantly different from each other. Bugaboo Creek, funny enough, was the first actual restaurant my wife and I went to when we moved to the US (on my teaching fellow stipend all I could afford was Burger King...). It was the one by Watertown Mall, right under their parking structure. Either that was my first proper steak or the food was good, but it is one of my fondest memories.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I need to go back.

All of your photos are making me jealous.

Me too. I was just on the phone with one my co workers in Ireland reminiscing about our tip over there 2 years ago. We met her in Belfast to see her newborn who is now turning 2 in a couple months. Time flies!!

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
sounds about right, I have countless Restaurant horror stories, I have been writing a book about the biz now for over 8 months, there`s been a few books about the restaurant biz but they speak too often from the chef`s perspective, Bourdain`s Kitchen Confidential was one, the few others I have read were mildly funny but written by some who seemed to have only worked in the biz a short time and for only a few restaurants, doesn`t really give you a true sense of what the biz is like.

The book I`m working on follows my travels, have also sat down with countless servers/cooks/chef`s and yes there is a difference (last count was over 100)who have been in the business who have shared their stories. Not a clue if I`ll just post it up online or what , not sure I`d get a bite from any publisher, thus far it, one of those I interviewed compared it to the adult film industry (not sure how he knows this:)), saying it`s a busy filled with shady characters who once they are done with ya, are more than ok with tossing you aside and bringin` on the next one.

This is my 31st year in the biz, worked in numerous places, have done my share of less than stellar things, have dealt with first rate dirtbag owners, managers and restaurant guests.....might only sell it to family or friends but it`s been a fun experience for one who is not close to being a polished writer to try to put together

I worked in restaurants and bars starting in college, and through my first real adult job. I've worked in mom and pop places as well as chains. And the movie Waiting with Ryan Reynolds really nails it from a waitstaff and cook perspective. If you haven't seen it, definitely check it out.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I worked in restaurants and bars starting in college, and through my first real adult job. I've worked in mom and pop places as well as chains. And the movie Waiting with Ryan Reynolds really nails it from a waitstaff and cook perspective. If you haven't seen it, definitely check it out.

hahaha, YES. I love 'Waiting'

I bused tables through HS and college and feel the same way.

Also, if people actually saw the kitchens of their favorite restaurants, they'd probably never eat out again. One of those "see how sausages are made" scenarios.

side note: fun thing to do when you have spare time is go on Youtube and watch the old training videos from the 80s and 90s. They are unintentional comedy gold mines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->