OT: Off Topic 2019 part VII - Boston now ranked WORST in rush hour traffic in US - #8 in the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
I am late saying this but I am so sorry for your loss. It is so difficult when they are family.

I found out on Dec 28th that my 9 year old Maine Coon has heart disease. I got home from work and he wasn't waiting at the door for me (like he always does). I went upstairs and he was purring but having a tough time breathing . I was exhausted from work and my vet was closed but I put him in the carrier and drove him to the Mass. Referral Hospital in Woburn. He was given oxygen and Lasix's (for water in his lungs) . He had to stay there 3 days ( I hated to leave him). They said if I hadn't brought him he would have died. I went to visit him each day he was there.

Now I have to give him 4 pills in the morning and 3 at night. They can't say how long he will live. He goes to a cat cartologist. The expense is tough but he is my love.

I no longer take for granted him meeting me at the door but take the time to hug and thank him. His name is Frodo Baggins as he has extra toes and toe tuffs. He is a wonderful cat .

I know for folks who aren't animal lovers it is difficult to understand but I live alone and love my cats ( I have 3). Frodo is my favorite (but don't tell the others).

It really is difficult, I'm just a huge animal lover I have 3 cats and a dog myself and they all have their own little unique personalities. I hope Mr Frodo stays healthy and happy and make sure to give him a few extra treats from me tonight :)

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
It really is difficult, I'm just a huge animal lover I have 3 cats and a dog myself and they all have their own little unique personalities. I hope Mr Frodo stays healthy and happy and make sure to give him a few extra treats from me tonight :)
Frodo is sitting with me (as always) and purring . He likes to knead when he is happy . He has 7 toes (instead of 4) on his front paws.

Reactions: BMC, PB37 and Emerz

nazartp

Apr 5, 2006
JJ runs the entire show

Delaware North operates Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex, helping NASA educate, inspire and inform guests about the country’s space program. The guest experience includes tours of Kennedy Space Center, larger-than-life IMAX films, live shows, hands-on activities and Shuttle Launch Experience.

What’s more, in June 2013, Delaware North opened the doors to Space Shuttle Atlantis – a $100 million exhibit that not only showcases the retired shuttle as it’s never been seen before, but also celebrates the rich history of the United States space program.
That's right - thus talking about the Atlantis exhibit.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Frodo is sitting with me (as always) and purring . He likes to knead when he is happy . He has 7 toes (instead of 4) on his front paws.

My cat is a young female Maine Coon mix. She's the first cat I've ever had ( always been a dog guy before I found her skinny and alone in the road as a kitten ). She has thumbs on both paws and watching her do human things like open cabinet doors, pick things up with etc etc is a hoot.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
My cat is a young female Maine Coon mix. She's the first cat I've ever had ( always been a dog guy before I found her skinny and alone in the road as a kitten ). She has thumbs on both paws and watching her do human things like open cabinet doors, pick things up with etc etc is a hoot.
Polydactyly's are so cool. I have had several. I love dogs too but am not home enough to have one.

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
I am late saying this but I am so sorry for your loss. It is so difficult when they are family.

I found out on Dec 28th that my 9 year old Maine Coon has heart disease. I got home from work and he wasn't waiting at the door for me (like he always does). I went upstairs and he was purring but having a tough time breathing . I was exhausted from work and my vet was closed but I put him in the carrier and drove him to the Mass. Referral Hospital in Woburn. He was given oxygen and Lasix's (for water in his lungs) . He had to stay there 3 days ( I hated to leave him). They said if I hadn't brought him he would have died. I went to visit him each day he was there.

Now I have to give him 4 pills in the morning and 3 at night. They can't say how long he will live. He goes to a cat cartologist. The expense is tough but he is my love.

I no longer take for granted him meeting me at the door but take the time to hug and thank him. His name is Frodo Baggins as he has extra toes and toe tuffs. He is a wonderful cat .

I know for folks who aren't animal lovers it is difficult to understand but I live alone and love my cats ( I have 3). Frodo is my favorite (but don't tell the others).
Healthy Blessings to Mr. Frodo...

Reactions: Ladyfan

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
Wife and I spending a few days in Burlington, Vermont. Any recommendations from anyone on restaurants or breweries or stores?

The main drag there is Church Street. By the way, if you care for a hockey fix, UVM is hosting BU for two games this coming weekend. Gutterson Fieldhouse is a great barn.

The Church Street Marketplace in Burlington, VT

vt_burlington_churchst_01.jpg

image_handler.aspx

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
No surprise . I lived in the Boston greater area up until the late 50's and I thought it was the worst traffic in the USA. Especially coming into Boston from southshore

Reactions: Kovi

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
No surprise . I lived in the Boston greater area up until the late 50's and I thought it was the worst traffic in the USA. Especially coming into Boston from southshore
Yup Ive lived in NH my whole life and always known Boston was terrible traffic wise and for the past 8 months ive been all over the country for work and I come home and work in MA much of the time and im always thinking "yup this is still the worst ive encountered"

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
View attachment 182721

Lost one of my best friends today, my cat Mugzy, 10 years old.

Just wanted to say to give your animals and family an extra hug tonight and even though I've never met you guys I love ya

Sorry to hear... Thats a really nice looking cat

I just got two this summer, my first real pets on my own, and its hard to imagine being without them even though it hasn't been long. I will do that tonight for Mugzy

Reactions: BMC and Emerz

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Wife and I spending a few days in Burlington, Vermont. Any recommendations from anyone on restaurants or breweries or stores?

Alright I'm pretty bored at work so here are some of the breweries that I really like

- 14th Star - about 20 minutes north of Burlington, but a great brewery. Veteran owned. My personal favorite in the state. There's a burger place attached. Favorite beer from them is Valor

- Switchback - another favorite of mine, located near the waterfront in Burlington. The classic Switchback Ale is a must if you have never had it. And get it on tap. Makes a huge difference, no lie. Switchback is available literally everywhere though, so if you only have time to visit a few take that under advisement

- Zero Gravity - great variety of beer, a really nice interior too. Downtown area Shuffleboard and lots of games and some TV's. Conehead is a must try but also pretty common

- Stone Corral - had tried their beer pretty often, but have gone to the brewery a few times and it has quickly become a favorite of mine. About 15-20 away from Burlington. Really good food too, I always get the mac and cheese with buffalo chicken

- Lawsons - a bit further away but if you're in the area a really good visit. Amazing new facility. Nicest looking brewery I've ever seen. And some of the best beer in the state. I had a Knockout Blonde there a few weeks ago that was great

- Burlington Beer Company - last time I came here I was pretty impressed with the variety of beers they had, all that I had were good too. Lots of board games there too to keep you busy. And some food

Now if you want to visit some restaurants...

- Manhattans Pizza - located right downtown, probably the best beer selection in the state in my opinion. Every time I've been there they've had Heady Topper, Focal Banger, and other stuff thats pretty tough to get your hands on. Pizza is good too. My only advice is don't go too late. It gets pretty busy as the night goes on, and turns more from a restaurant/pub to more of just a bar as the night goes on. So if you go for a late dinner you may have trouble getting a seat and there will probably be more college hooligans.

- El Gato - good Mexican place also downtown

- Vermont Pub and Brewery - I do not think this place is all that great but it checks a lot of boxes. The beer is average at best. The food is decent. But the good news is it has a lot of both. Its a very safe choice. Nothing amazing but its easy. Better in the summer because it has a great patio.

- Farmhouse - good American style food, great beer selection. Kind of pricey though

As far as what else to do in the area...

Downtown Church Street has a ton of shops, food, bars. Could make a whole day down there just eating drinking and browsing. Can head down to the waterfront, there's a museum "Echo" down there too. Haven't been in years so can't exactly vouch for it. Skiing of course if you're into that thing. I like the other posters idea of going to a UVM hockey game too.

Honestly when I think about it theres not much to do here besides drink a lot so I hope you are down to do that :laugh:

I'll keep thinking. Let me know if you have any questions

Reactions: GlenFeatherstone
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad