OT: Off Topic 2019 part IX - Spring is coming - REALLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
How the **** can I stop these freaking robocalls? I'm in the do not call list and it's doing nothing.

I get them on my work phone constantly. Part of my job is managing mobile devices for about 3k people in my company. I usually get about 5-6 requests a day that people want to change their # because of all the robo calls they get. It never helps.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Someone gave a bunch of auto transport companies my cell number recently. I've gotten upwards of 50 calls, texts, and voicemails about my "quote".

There's a reason I literally never answer my phone anymore.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I get them on my work phone constantly. Part of my job is managing mobile devices for about 3k people in my company. I usually get about 5-6 requests a day that people want to change their # because of all the robo calls they get. It never helps.

It’s extra annoying because you can’t call them back. The numbers are invariably unreachable.
I get 401 area code calls because I have a Rhode Island phone number. Haven’t lived there for 8 years.

Your job sounds very complicated to me.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
How the **** can I stop these freaking robocalls? I'm in the do not call list and it's doing nothing.

best bet is to not answer the calls at all, and definitely dont interact with the menu at all. basically if you dont pick up, you're number will get flagged as dead. I used to get them constantly, and with not answering am down to 1-2 a week

also, get a free robocall app (i have Call Blacklist). what I do is any spam call i get, I add the area code to the block list, so that any call from that area code never rings and goes right to voicemail.

Only ones I dont do that to are local area codes (401, 617, 508, 203)

Reactions: GordonHowe

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
It’s extra annoying because you can’t call them back. The numbers are invariably unreachable.
I get 401 area code calls because I have a Rhode Island phone number. Haven’t lived there for 8 years.

Your job sounds very complicated to me.

I don't handle too much with it. VZW/ATT do a lot of the phone specific troubleshooting. But I have to authorize account changes, like a phone # chang type thing.

Last edited:

Gordon Lightfoot

Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
best bet is to not answer the calls at all, and definitely dont interact with the menu at all. basically if you dont pick up, you're number will get flagged as dead. I used to get them constantly, and with not answering am down to 1-2 a week

also, get a free robocall app (i have Call Blacklist). what I do is any spam call i get, I add the area code to the block list, so that any call from that area code never rings and goes right to voicemail.

Only ones I dont do that to are local area codes (401, 617, 508, 203)

If I don’t answer and they get my voicemail, does it still get flagged as dead?

I’m definitely getting that app!

Gordon Lightfoot

Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Ooh sorry to derail but I made my first eBay sale! I sold a jersey and it went in about 12 hours so I likely priced it too low haha

Reactions: BMC

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I need advice here. I'm normally someone who just rolls with it and doesn't go out of my way to make others days awful, but I'm still pissed about this almost a week and a half later. What's the likeliness of getting some type of refund or plane voucher for the following?

My wife and I flew JetBlue to FL last week for a few days so she could see her family, and then took a trip to the Keys since I had never been. We took a late flight on Tuesday so I was able to work to save a vacation day.

Our flight ended up being delayed by about 30 min, so instead of leaving around 830, we left at 9. By the time we landed and taxied at Palm Beach, it was 1230. My wife had to use the restroom, so when we got to our baggage carousel, it was around 1255, and our bag had been removed from the belt, and locked in the office for the night. No announcement was made, no employees around to open the office. We ended up sleeping in PBI due to the fact that they said the office would be open at 430am, and our accomedations were about an hour and a half away, making it pointless to drive there just to drive back. 430 rolls around, and not a soul was to be seen. They suggested checking with the ticket counter, which we did, and no one would come down to open the office.

Finally around 530, someone showed up and went in the office, and I made her give me the bag even though she wasn't working there.

I'm still livid about this because it frankly started our vacation off on a terrible note, and we were exhausted from it for the remainder of the trip due to the shitty sleep we got that night, and DST happening as well.

I'm not sure if it's a JB issue or an airport issue, but the entire thing was ridiculus.

Thoughts?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I need advice here. I'm normally someone who just rolls with it and doesn't go out of my way to make others days awful, but I'm still pissed about this almost a week and a half later. What's the likeliness of getting some type of refund or plane voucher for the following?

My wife and I flew JetBlue to FL last week for a few days so she could see her family, and then took a trip to the Keys since I had never been. We took a late flight on Tuesday so I was able to work to save a vacation day.

Our flight ended up being delayed by about 30 min, so instead of leaving around 830, we left at 9. By the time we landed and taxied at Palm Beach, it was 1230. My wife had to use the restroom, so when we got to our baggage carousel, it was around 1255, and our bag had been removed from the belt, and locked in the office for the night. No announcement was made, no employees around to open the office. We ended up sleeping in PBI due to the fact that they said the office would be open at 430am, and our accomedations were about an hour and a half away, making it pointless to drive there just to drive back. 430 rolls around, and not a soul was to be seen. They suggested checking with the ticket counter, which we did, and no one would come down to open the office.

Finally around 530, someone showed up and went in the office, and I made her give me the bag even though she wasn't working there.

I'm still livid about this because it frankly started our vacation off on a terrible note, and we were exhausted from it for the remainder of the trip due to the ****ty sleep we got that night, and DST happening as well.

I'm not sure if it's a JB issue or an airport issue, but the entire thing was ridiculus.

Thoughts?

JetBlue is dedicated to customer service. If you have a compliment or a complaint, you can reach us via our Contact Us page. All complaints will receive a written acknowledgement of receipt within 30 days of receipt, and provide a substantive response to the complaint within 60 days of receipt.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
JetBlue is dedicated to customer service. If you have a compliment or a complaint, you can reach us via our Contact Us page. All complaints will receive a written acknowledgement of receipt within 30 days of receipt, and provide a substantive response to the complaint within 60 days of receipt.
Yeah they sent me a survey which I filled out and told me to follow the Contact Us page in the link to receive a further response, but it wouldn't load on mobile from the link. Guess I'll do it when I get home.

I already talked to them the night of, and they were about as useless as I'd imagine they'd be.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Yeahthats some bullshit there man. 25 minutes from the time you got off the plane to when you got to baggage claim? That’s a more than reasonable amount of time. It sounds like the guy or gal responsible for the belts wanted to go home early and didn’t care how it would royally f*** up someone’s night.

I’m angry for you now

Reactions: BMC

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Yeah they sent me a survey which I filled out and told me to follow the Contact Us page in the link to receive a further response, but it wouldn't load on mobile from the link. Guess I'll do it when I get home.

I already talked to them the night of, and they were about as useless as I'd imagine they'd be.

Make a stink - keep me posted

Reactions: GordonHowe

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Yeahthats some bull**** there man. 25 minutes from the time you got off the plane to when you got to baggage claim? That’s a more than reasonable amount of time. It sounds like the guy or gal responsible for the belts wanted to go home early and didn’t care how it would royally **** up someone’s night.

I’m angry for you now
We were both shocked.

Of course she felt horrible, as if it was somehow her fault.

I mean I get it, it's late, we were pretty much the last flight to land, and it was already delayed, but you know that going into taking a job like that, so....

Despite how I come off on here sometimes as bombastic and outlandish, I'm an extremely even keeled person in real life. I don't get upset about a lot of things, and when I do, it's never over the top.

I was so pissed off I was about ready to throw the luggage cart through that window to get it, since I could just see it sitting there taunting us.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

I'm still livid about this because it frankly started our vacation off on a terrible note, and we were exhausted from it for the remainder of the trip due to the ****ty sleep we got that night, and DST happening as well.

Thoughts?

Same thing happened to me when my kids were smaller. Literally just used the bathroom and they were locked away. It was like 10pm and found someone to open it but spent an extra 90 min in the stupid airport.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
We were both shocked.

Of course she felt horrible, as if it was somehow her fault.

I mean I get it, it's late, we were pretty much the last flight to land, and it was already delayed, but you know that going into taking a job like that, so....

Despite how I come off on here sometimes as bombastic and outlandish, I'm an extremely even keeled person in real life. I don't get upset about a lot of things, and when I do, it's never over the top.

I was so pissed off I was about ready to throw the luggage cart through that window to get it, since I could just see it sitting there taunting us.
I suspect you should at least get some flight vouchers for that.

But airlines make it so hard to complain through bureaucracy that they count on everyone just getting tired or not having the time to put up enough of a stink that they'd actually compensate you.

A couple Christmases ago I had a round trip on United and both legs had an issue - they changed a gate on me and caused me to miss a connecting flight and have to wait 6 hours in O'Hare for the next flight, then on the way back they diverted the flight from John Wayne to LAX because it was slightly raining, then make us wait 2 hours for a bus to John Wayne.

I was so furious that I was going to file a complaint and demand some kind of compensation, but I didn't end up having the time or energy to deal with their customer service shit that I just let it go. now I avoid United as much as possible.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I suspect you should at least get some flight vouchers for that.

But airlines make it so hard to complain through bureaucracy that they count on everyone just getting tired or not having the time to put up enough of a stink that they'd actually compensate you.

A couple Christmases ago I had a round trip on United and both legs had an issue - they changed a gate on me and caused me to miss a connecting flight and have to wait 6 hours in O'Hare for the next flight, then on the way back they diverted the flight from John Wayne to LAX because it was slightly raining, then make us wait 2 hours for a bus to John Wayne.

I was so furious that I was going to file a complaint and demand some kind of compensation, but I didn't end up having the time or energy to deal with their customer service **** that I just let it go. now I avoid United as much as possible.
I mean it's on purpose. Every company does this for the most part. Make it impossible and exhausting to deal with actual humans so you eventually give up, or don't bother in general.

Normally I wouldn't be this mad about something, and I'd have let it go by now, but man my back is still a wreck from sleeping on a bench, and I've been exhausted for a week straight, despite getting some decent sleep lately.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I mean it's on purpose. Every company does this for the most part. Make it impossible and exhausting to deal with actual humans so you eventually give up, or don't bother in general.

Normally I wouldn't be this mad about something, and I'd have let it go by now, but man my back is still a wreck from sleeping on a bench, and I've been exhausted for a week straight, despite getting some decent sleep lately.

You should be mad - Obviously, the JB station manager was not going to approve OT to keep baggage open but this can not be an isolated case.

Call 1-800-538-2583 and ask the agent to transfer you to a CRO (Complaints Resolution Official) - and if the agent tries to tell you she can handle it just decline and have it bumped up. JB is usually pretty good in these matters, by comparison, United is brutal.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I hope other media refuses to show any of it. And WTF is wrong with Twitter, Facebook etc?? They should have shut it down once they knew what was happening.

Facebook has moderators but they are not employees of the company and are vastly underpaid.

The secret lives of Facebook moderators in America

That said there should be algorithms in place to detect something horrible on a live video ( sound of rapid gunshots? )

I saw this in the Boston Globe and it nails the problem head on

New Zealand shooting video underscores Facebook’s problems - The Boston Globe

Jonathan Taplin has an simple solution to this current problem. Author of a book on social media, “Move Fast and Break Things,” Taplin said Facebook should stop running live video streams, replacing them with some kind of delayed broadcast so it can review images and when necessary, prevent others from viewing them.

“The notion that you have the right to have everything uploaded in real time — who says?” Taplin said. “We need to slow down.”
Facebook Live loses much of its charm if the video isn’t truly live, so the company may resist this idea. Taplin has an answer for that: doing away with a critical part of telecommunications law that protects companies such as Facebook from liability for what their users publish.

“We have to make them responsible for what’s on their platform,” Taplin said. “You can guarantee that if they could be sued for this stuff, they’d stop it.”

I saw the video last night when CNN was rebroadcasting a New Zealand news channel and they aired it without the anchors seeing it beforehand. I had a little trouble sleeping after that.

Reactions: BMC and Alicat

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
At assembly, kind of recreated the pic

Attachments

• 20190315_185942.jpg
    20190315_185942.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: Gordon Lightfoot

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
Just got a 2011 Chara home knockoff as a gratuity, aside from the neck lace looking a bit odd it's so accurately fake I'm almost uncomfortable owning it.

So many tags and stamps of authenticity it's kinda creepy ... I guess he paid 28$ USD?

vNGVugy.jpg

gjlIB5J.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Chief Nine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00