OT: Off Topic 2019 part IX - Spring is coming - REALLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
View attachment 200385 Exactly.

ZZTop was a ‘33. But similar.

Man I love American muscle cars and hot rods. They are just so badass. I remember my love affair started when I was 14 and saw Gone In 60 Seconds and fell head over heels in love with "Eleanor".

1967-ford-mustang-eleanor-from-gone-in-60-seconds_100424293.jpg

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Somebody on the Lawrence Welk Show was able to sneak this gospel song pass the boss :laugh:

BTW from all accounts, Welk was a good person to work for and he was loved by the crew

He could even run a camera when needed

Lawrence-Welk-Trades-Places-With-The-Cameraman...1978-The-show-was-an-ABC-heavy.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
It's a beaut.

Mid 60s to late 70's had some just amazing cars.

1970 Chevelle SS is still my all-time favorite car.

Seeing any cars like that here is very rare so it is special the odd time you do at something like a car show etc..

For the first time ever Ford started selling the new Mustang here a few years ago, in right hand drive and all which I guess would be the first time ever Mustang's were made in RHD?

If only Dodge would start selling the new Challenger here and in RHD I would take out a second mortgage!!

Still though none of the new ones come close to the 60's/70's equivalents.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
:thumbu:

Now, forgive, but "I was Hamilton before Hamilton was cool." And George, too. Jefferson, not so much. Ron Chernow's bio is very good, though perhaps a bit overlong & turgid for high school readers.

The popular historian Richard Brookhiser wrote two excellent, slim volumes about Alexander & George that may make your book report list.

For the older students -- and I realize you are well aware -- American Sphynx (Jefferson), Passionate Sage (John Adams) and the very worthy His Excellency (Washington). These by Joe Ellis. Each are short & easily digestible.

Doubtless you have a lengthy list of your own.

No expert, but if you wish to add suggestions per 20th C. politics & policy to your list, let me know.

Good luck & keep at it,

*Adds these to my ever expanding list of books to read* :)

Reactions: GordonHowe

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Seeing any cars like that here is very rare so it is special the odd time you do at something like a car show etc..

For the first time ever Ford started selling the new Mustang here a few years ago, in right hand drive and all which I guess would be the first time ever Mustang's were made in RHD?

If only Dodge would start selling the new Challenger here and in RHD I would take out a second mortgage!!

Still though none of the new ones come close to the 60's/70's equivalents.

My parents had a 1961 Ford Thunderbird convertible. Unfortunately as the years went by the top needed replacing and with 2 small kids that wasn't happening, so they sold it. My neighbor had a 1965 Ford Mustang. Great car but the clutch plate kept letting go. You got it, they sold it.
Both cars would be worth a ton of $ today.

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
My parents had a 1961 Ford Thunderbird convertible. Unfortunately as the years went by the top needed replacing and with 2 small kids that wasn't happening, so they sold it. My neighbor had a 1965 Ford Mustang. Great car but the clutch plate kept letting go. You got it, they sold it.
Both cars would be worth a ton of $ today.

MTRkMWFhNzMwYThhMWU2MTkyYjVlMzdlZmNmMzc1OWHfsm5qo3ReDjBGJz-l1Ij1aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTA4NzY0MzF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This 65 Mustang V8 is currently on sale here for 26,000euro so about 30,000dollars.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Getting new contacts today finally. Anyone know if there is a place that accepts donations of unopened, unused boxes of contacts?

I’ve got 3 months worth that I really don’t want to trash.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Getting new contacts today finally. Anyone know if there is a place that accepts donations of unopened, unused boxes of contacts?

I’ve got 3 months worth that I really don’t want to trash.

The Hyde Park Lions Club is celebrating 51 years of service in Hyde Park and the neighboring towns of Roslindale, West Roxbury, Jamaica Plain and Readville. The Hyde Park Lions Club is dedicated to providing free services to those who are vision impaired or blind. In the past we have donated to the Lions International, Mass Eye Research, district 33K Eye Mobile and Youth and Senior Community Programs.

Currently we are expanding our membership. If you are looking for an organization that works closely with the community it serves or you have a passion for community work, please be a part of our club.

We meet every 1st Tuesday of each month at 6:30 pm at Waterford’s Restaurant, 2 Bridge St Dedham. For more information on membership, you can call John DiPiero, membership chair at 617-328-8075 or club secretary Allison Traverso at 857-373-9366.

Reactions: Alicat

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
MTRkMWFhNzMwYThhMWU2MTkyYjVlMzdlZmNmMzc1OWHfsm5qo3ReDjBGJz-l1Ij1aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTA4NzY0MzF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This 65 Mustang V8 is currently on sale here for 26,000euro so about 30,000dollars.
My uncle had this exact car, only as a convertible with the white/tan interior.

He bought it in the early 90s as a post-divorce car, and sadly sold it once he got remarried and had kids.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
The Hyde Park Lions Club is celebrating 51 years of service in Hyde Park and the neighboring towns of Roslindale, West Roxbury, Jamaica Plain and Readville. The Hyde Park Lions Club is dedicated to providing free services to those who are vision impaired or blind. In the past we have donated to the Lions International, Mass Eye Research, district 33K Eye Mobile and Youth and Senior Community Programs.

Currently we are expanding our membership. If you are looking for an organization that works closely with the community it serves or you have a passion for community work, please be a part of our club.

We meet every 1st Tuesday of each month at 6:30 pm at Waterford’s Restaurant, 2 Bridge St Dedham. For more information on membership, you can call John DiPiero, membership chair at 617-328-8075 or club secretary Allison Traverso at 857-373-9366.
Thanks!

1800 Contacts said they'd take them and give me an account credit which is going to be almost $200.

My eyes got much better according to the dr so yay!

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
No idea man.
Ive traveled a lot for business for decades. Id just as much prefer to see this country and Canada.

But the Bride has never been to Europe and would like to see the UK and Italy.

What you might do, as I did: Stay a few days in London, then travel to Paris via the Chunnel.

Right at the halfway mark -- Calais, I believe -- the English bird informing of upcoming stops begins to speak flawless French.

I'm certain Italy would be a dream, too. Enjoy.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
It’s amazing how family can really be the ones who cut us to the core.

We had a makeshift family get together yesterday. As always, it was a nightmare from a planning prospective.

I made a cameo.

As always, it turned into my mother complaining that, no matter how many health foods she tries, “none of them work”. Then she made a remark to me “Have you gained a few pounds? You used to be so skinny.” It made me so angry. Even when I take a step back and think that this is a very lonely and negative person who feels bad about herself and her life, it still upset me.

Thankfully, the homily at mass this morning was all about body image and how we see ourselves and each other. It’s what I needed to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad