OT: Off Topic 2018 part V - Getting older is not for the timid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
I just made us banana choco chip muffins and cranberry mimosas.

Happy Saturday. it's 62 degrees here

Reactions: Strafer

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Yup. College costs are horrifying.
When all is said and done , even in state,I will have ‘invested’ about $350 K in my kids.
But that was my choice. It was important to me.
My dad was the same way. He said he'd pay for undergraduate degrees for me and my brother. If we wanted anything beyond that, it'd be on our own (although I had no desire for that). My brother is three years older than me but he goofed off in college and didn't finish, so that made me the first college grad in the family. :laugh: Thanks Dad. :)

And good for you, Wally. :)

Reactions: BMC

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I finally caved and bought a carpet cleaning machine (decent Black Friday deal online).

You never really understand just how dirty your carpet is until you look at the dirty water tank afterward. :help:

But man is that thing heavy when you fill it with water. I guess it's a good workout... o_O

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I finally caved and bought a carpet cleaning machine (decent Black Friday deal online).

You never really understand just how dirty your carpet is until you look at the dirty water tank afterward. :help:

But man is that thing heavy when you fill it with water. I guess it's a good workout... o_O

We experienced that when we bought a dyson and used it the first time. It's not like we didn't vacuum regularly before either, it's just that our old one clearly didn't do the job well enough. The sheer amount of dust embedded into the carpet that the dyson pulled up was staggering. It was gross...lol

Reactions: Kovi

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
We experienced that when we bought a dyson and used it the first time. It's not like we didn't vacuum regularly before either, it's just that our old one clearly didn't do the job well enough. The sheer amount of dust embedded into the carpet that the dyson pulled up was staggering. It was gross...lol
Yeah, I bought a Shark vacuum about two weeks after I got my dog. It was rather eye opening... and yes, gross. :laugh:

I just wish they had a good way to clean the vacuum cleaner. I mean, yes, you can dump the clump of hair/ dirt/ dust easily, but all the fine particles that build up in the crevices is a pain. Better there than in the carpet, though, I guess.

Reactions: LSCII

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Yes! Dyson. Love mine.

Reactions: LSCII

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Took the train from Montreal to Toronto - very relaxing and was able to watch Pats game. VIA Rail puts Amtrak to shame.

upload_2018-11-25_20-8-46.png

46818503_10216554790074944_334043340599197696_n.jpg

Last edited:

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Dyson has lost my business until they remove their "Poop Spewer 2000" hand dryers from my movie theater.

Seriously, I get it, the engineers at Dyson are geniuses. But a hand dryer that blows wet hand water UP into your face (which, I might remind you, includes your mouth, eyes, and nose)? No, thank you.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Took the train from Montreal to Toronto - very relaxing and was able to watch Pats game. VIA Rail puts Amtrak to shame.

View attachment 158379
46818503_10216554790074944_334043340599197696_n.jpg

I found the Montreal subway far superior to the T, but it’s an unfair comparison. I think Amtrak does an excellent job with what they have to work with now.

Disclaimer, i come from an Amtrak/T family.

Reactions: Strafer

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I found the Montreal subway far superior to the T, but it’s an unfair comparison. I think Amtrak does an excellent job with what they have to work with now.

Disclaimer, I come from an Amtrak/T family.

Montreal's Metro was very well designed and the key was the trains NEVER go outside.

The T's problem is not realistically fixable. The tunnels downtown are over 100 years old and they would need to close down the system to rebuild them - that is not going to happen.

The T seems incapable of changing bus routes that for the most part are all old streetcar lines from 100 years ago. Kendall Sq in Cambridge was for decades one of the least used stations on the Red Line....not anymore. We have been trying for years to get a bus that connects Kendall with Lechmere - they refuse to even do a trial.

MBTA Bus Route 99 is the classic fiasco. It runs to a hospital THAT CLOSED TWENTY YEARS AGO

Miles on the MBTA: 99 (Boston Regional Medical Center - Wellington Station via Main Street and Malden Center Station)

Amtrak is hampered by not owning the tracks between New Haven and New York and only 2 tracks under the Hudson and the Portal Bridge between Newark and Manhattan. I have ridden trains in Europe and a few years ago when the Pats were in London I was able to do a day trip to Paris BY TRAIN that was very relaxing. I took a train in China that covered nearly 1500 miles IN EIGHT HOURS. (That folks is Boston to Miami)

I live in Cambridge - less than 2 miles from TD Garden and Fenway - and I use the T ( but lately Uber and Lyft more) instead of driving as I refuse to pay $50 at the Garden for parking. :banghead:

Reactions: BMC and Strafer

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Yeah, I bought a Shark vacuum about two weeks after I got my dog. It was rather eye opening... and yes, gross. :laugh:

I just wish they had a good way to clean the vacuum cleaner. I mean, yes, you can dump the clump of hair/ dirt/ dust easily, but all the fine particles that build up in the crevices is a pain. Better there than in the carpet, though, I guess.
I've got 3,one on each floor,the dogs (German Shepherds) are only allowed on the main floor,but not the living room and we still vacuum hair from all floors. I have had to change the brush roller switches on 2 of them and it is a common problem.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Dyson has lost my business until they remove their "Poop Spewer 2000" hand dryers from my movie theater.

Seriously, I get it, the engineers at Dyson are geniuses. But a hand dryer that blows wet hand water UP into your face (which, I might remind you, includes your mouth, eyes, and nose)? No, thank you.

So because you're a germ-aphobe, dyson is bad? LOL

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

Yeah, looking at that tank makes you realize just how filthy your carpet was even with regular vacuuming. Makes you wonder if you should even bother :laugh:

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

Disclaimer, i come from an Amtrak/T family.

I take Amtrak to Boston and Maine- I've only had one break down in like 8 trips. Otherwise it is always a good ride especially the Acela.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Montreal's Metro was very well designed and the key was the trains NEVER go outside.

The T's problem is not realistically fixable. The tunnels downtown are over 100 years old and they would need to close down the system to rebuild them - that is not going to happen.

The T seems incapable of changing bus routes that for the most part are all old streetcar lines from 100 years ago. Kendall Sq in Cambridge was for decades one of the least used stations on the Red Line....not anymore. We have been trying for years to get a bus that connects Kendall with Lechmere - they refuse to even do a trial.

MBTA Bus Route 99 is the classic fiasco. It runs to a hospital THAT CLOSED TWENTY YEARS AGO

Miles on the MBTA: 99 (Boston Regional Medical Center - Wellington Station via Main Street and Malden Center Station)

Amtrak is hampered by not owning the tracks between New Haven and New York and only 2 tracks under the Hudson and the Portal Bridge between Newark and Manhattan. I have ridden trains in Europe and a few years ago when the Pats were in London I was able to do a day trip to Paris BY TRAIN that was very relaxing. I took a train in China that covered nearly 1500 miles IN EIGHT HOURS. (That folks is Boston to Miami)

I live in Cambridge - less than 2 miles from TD Garden and Fenway - and I use the T ( but lately Uber and Lyft more) instead of driving as I refuse to pay $50 at the Garden for parking. :banghead:

I’m reading through your post wondering, “ok but does he know Amtrak doesn’t own the northeast corridor tracks?...” and then you hit me with it.

I can’t argue the point that our train system is lightyears behind. Nobody can. The reasoning varies from person to person.

Happy commuting!

Reactions: Fenway

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
Going to the Habs vs Canes game tomorrow in Montreal with a buddy who's a diehard Habs fan. I will be the guy at the game wearing a Bruins jersey cheering for the Canes.:naughty::naughty:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Having glass coverage on my car insurance is amazing and makes paying obscene amounts each month worth every penny.

My windshield is pitted due to some concrete construction dust and my insurance company is sending someone to me to replace it :)

Allstate is awesome.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I just made us banana choco chip muffins and cranberry mimosas.

Happy Saturday. it's 62 degrees here

sweet, I`m the tough guy baker of the house, tried my hand at a Red Velvet cake yesterday, 3 layers, went down perfectly. Hard to believe XMas less than a month away

Reactions: eightspokedb

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Having glass coverage on my car insurance is amazing and makes paying obscene amounts each month worth every penny.

My windshield is pitted due to some concrete construction dust and my insurance company is sending someone to me to replace it :)

Allstate is awesome.

Full glass is awesome, I use it for all my clients who have a high deductible on their comprehensive coverage, it's only about 3-5 bucks extra depending on the company and people love not having to pay the dealer or glass company when they bust a windshield. I definitely recommend it :teach:

Reactions: Alicat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad