OT: Off Topic 2018 part V - Getting older is not for the timid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Now I can share the real reason I did not go to Los Angeles for the World Series.

3 months ago during a routine eye exam at my local hospital, the ophthalmologist said I needed cataract surgery on my left eye which was not unexpected as I had been told a few years back I had a developing cataract. Something told me to seek a second opinion so I got a referral to Mass Eye and Ear which is considered one of the best clinics on the planet and my PCP wanted me to see a certain doctor who is HIGHLY respected. I got the first appointment available and it was 10/25 and when I called last week to try and reschedule we were looking at March so .......

Before I even saw the doctor I had three tests done and when I saw him he told me to take a FOURTH test :help: and he said I was an interesting case. That was a little unnerving to hear.

44753659_10216334874777199_3169823354941079552_n.jpg

This Doctor has an impressive resume.

Scott Greenstein, M.D., FACS | Mass. Eye and Ear

What he found was I had dry macular degeneration in the left eye and the cataract was not the issue. He was astonished that my previous 2 eye doctors had missed this.

Short term it is not a big deal and he gave me a new script for glasses but told me over the next few years it will get worse and there is NO WAY to treat it. He said what makes my case peculiar is my right eve has now corrected itself to 20/20. He said I could do the surgery and give you a new lens but it would be useless (using a camera as an example ) if the film is no good.

He said it is most likely genetic.

Obviously in my line of work vision is important and to learn in a few years I might not be able to read is unnerving.

Mass Eye and Ear is rated in the Top 5 in the US and I have to accept the diagnose. :cry:

upload_2018-10-26_2-7-46.png

Last edited:

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
Sorry to hear that Fenway, that sucks!
I suppose the only consolation I'd take from it is that at least you have a few years forewarning and can plan accordingly.
All the best with it going forward.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Geez tough news there Fen. Don’t know what to say except good luck and at least you’re getting the best care

Reactions: Fenway

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
So sorry Fenway. Wish you the best health going forward and hope and pray for you that you have many more years doing the thing you love.

nazartp

Apr 5, 2006
Now I can share the real reason I did not go to Los Angeles for the World Series.

3 months ago during a routine eye exam at my local hospital, the ophthalmologist said I needed cataract surgery on my left eye which was not unexpected as I had been told a few years back I had a developing cataract. Something told me to seek a second opinion so I got a referral to Mass Eye and Ear which is considered one of the best clinics on the planet and my PCP wanted me to see a certain doctor who is HIGHLY respected. I got the first appointment available and it was 10/25 and when I called last week to try and reschedule we were looking at March so .......

Before I even saw the doctor I had three tests done and when I saw him he told me to take a FOURTH test :help: and he said I was an interesting case. That was a little unnerving to hear.

What he found was I had dry macular degeneration in the left eye and the cataract was not the issue. He was astonished that my previous 2 eye doctors had missed this.

Short term it is not a big deal and he gave me a new script for glasses but told me over the next few years it will get worse and there is NO WAY to treat it. He said what makes my case peculiar is my right eve has now corrected itself to 20/20. He said I could do the surgery and give you a new lens but it would be useless (using a camera as an example ) if the film is no good.

Obviously in my line of work vision is important and to learn in a few years I might not be able to read is unnerving.

Mass Eye and Ear is rated in the Top 5 in the US and I have to accept the diagnose. :cry:

View attachment 149795
Damn, that sucks...

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World

View attachment 149795
My ex husband has had one cornea transplant completed and will be having the other one done this coming year sometime. When we lived out there that is where he was seen. Great doctors there, you are in good hands.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Sending positive thoughts and lots of love your way Fenway.

As Blowfish and BMC said above, the advances in medicine are happening all the time so who knows what will be out there in a few years.

This is a great reminder to make sure you are getting routine eye exams and making sure the doctor checks for these things thoroughly.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Devils fan here but Bruins follower:

Sorry to read, best wishes for the future.

I am 84 and had both cataracts done last year. I am in NJ now and went to a highly respected eye surgery in PA long ways from home for me. No problems at all with the surgery. Best to go to the best when it comes to surgery of any kind. Plus as you did get at least a second opinion if not more before surgery.

Best wishes again.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Sorry Kevin!

My eye issues aren't close to what you described, but I'm at a point in my life where I clearly remember how much better my vision was just a short time ago.

In the span of 3 years, I've gone from needing a low grade reader to a high grade reader to surgery on each eye, to a pretty strong prescription.

No fun!

Good luck!

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Speaking of getting older. We just celebrated my daughter's soccer team's "Senior Knight" (North Andover Scarlet Knights) last night.

Such a bittersweet time, as every week seems up to bring a new "Last Time" --- the last time they play Andover, Methuen, Haverhill, etc.

Soon I'll likely be watching her "Last HS Game -- possibly last game ever?" .

So many emotions watching kids who you have literally watched grow up playing together, knowing that most of these girls are between 1 and 5 games (depending on how playoffs go) away from the end of their soccer careers.

So proud of her helping her team to a 10-3-4 record with one game to go! She's had 8 shutouts and a very strong save % and GAA.

Here's to hoping for a long playoff run, because honestly, I'm not ready for it to end!

Senior Night 7.jpg

Senior Night 4.jpg

(That was a save BTW, she deflected it over the crossbar)

Last edited:

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I feel for you Kevin. I lost the vision in one eye due to an Ischemic stroke back in 2009 IIRC. I went to MEEI for months of tests and they were grueling. It IS depressing when a doctor MEEI tells you that there is "nothing that they can do" but after a while I accepted it and learned how to drive, work, walk etc without depth perception or vision on the right side.... Thank God that when I was 6 years old a surgeon was on duty in the emergency room to save my other eye. If that eye surgeon wasn't on duty that night I would've lost my presently good left eye and I would've spent the next 50 years blind in one eye and then when I had the stroke 9 years ago I would be completely blind since. My old boss at MIT wife was the director of the Perkins school for the blind btw.... So many great people are in the field that it's humbling to a peasant like myself.

Last edited:

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

View attachment 149795
Kevin,Sorry to hear about the dry MD. My mom has a different version, and she's gotten along OK with it, though it's slowly progressed over the years. You're going to be fine, and should be able to operate the camera as long as you want, I would guess. You're in good hands at MEEI.

As an (maybe interesting) aside, I did a lot of the build on the EMR system MEEI uses, so what you see behind the image viewer and the after visit summary has my fingerprints all over it. (Any parts you don't like were probably built by someone else :laugh:)

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Kevin,Sorry to hear about the dry MD. My mom has a different version, and she's gotten along OK with it, though it's slowly progressed over the years. You're going to be fine, and should be able to operate the camera as long as you want, I would guess. You're in good hands am MEEI.

As an (maybe interesting) aside, I did a lot of the build on the EMR system MEEI uses, so what you see behind the image viewer and the after visit summary has my fingerprints all over it. (Any parts you don't like were probably built by someone else :laugh:)

So you're saying he's screwed? Makes a lot of sense...:naughty:

Reactions: Kovi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad