OT: Off Topic 2018 part IV - Summer is OVAH

Status
Not open for further replies.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
The best "cooking show" is 'Nailed it' on Netflix. Hilarious.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
If you win and take the cash option - a billion dollars vanishes

I plan on buying the Coyotes and move them to Hartford :)

lnlALahQk_C24wMgPk3qVdbQ6sH89iva7wMw_dU1XEXmqvVxmNKbb0zvVAmoB_gTOHEZ74VKHzO_2rB4oYCRyhESP_c77g926BpW4B2dAT4-7FwRbIe6xNKKmTQVpv1dh9uL4Ws8k_rI4QDXWqYi2Eaj6nBo-F09spnvVNc=s0-d-e1-ft

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Hope everyone who lives in Northern RI, SE Mass stays safe with this crazy weather
What’s goin on?
NVM. Saw your 2nd post.
Stay safe everyone.

My neighbor’s huge model train building was on fire this afternoon. Even worse fire truck responding hit a car and there was a fatality.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
If you win and take the cash option - a billion dollars vanishes

I plan on buying the Coyotes and move them to Hartford :)

lnlALahQk_C24wMgPk3qVdbQ6sH89iva7wMw_dU1XEXmqvVxmNKbb0zvVAmoB_gTOHEZ74VKHzO_2rB4oYCRyhESP_c77g926BpW4B2dAT4-7FwRbIe6xNKKmTQVpv1dh9uL4Ws8k_rI4QDXWqYi2Eaj6nBo-F09spnvVNc=s0-d-e1-ft

Are you saying the smart play is to take the annuity option? Because that is very much NOT the smart play.

And you can have any other team. I need the Coyotes here so we can at least see the Bruins once a year!

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

Nope. Nope nope nope.

I have never liked escalators. This is but one reason why.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
It can most definitely be the smart play for some people. There are a ton of factors to consider either way.
I disagree. If you win that much money, you can afford to get a financial planner who will get you significantly better return than the assumed return on the annuity.

Unless you're talking about people who should get it a little at a time because they would otherwise blow it. In that case, you have a point, but that's for an entirely other reason.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I was driving home from work at about 6:30 listening to 92.9. There was a huge flash of lightning then the station went totally dead. Then to static. Wonder if the tower was hit

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I disagree. If you win that much money, you can afford to get a financial planner who will get you significantly better return than the assumed return on the annuity.

Unless you're talking about people who should get it a little at a time because they would otherwise blow it. In that case, you have a point, but that's for an entirely other reason.

I’m all for risk-reward. Drives me NUTS on Who Wants to be a Millionaire when people chicken out with $10K when they’ll only go down to $5K if they guess, and they have well over 70% confidence.

But in this case....I can see the need argument for the annuity. It essentially gives you 30 “extra lives”. It also makes it so you can’t access all the money at once - great if you have friends/family who are really, really wanting to mooch off you. Or great just in case you make a mistake - better to do it with a small chunk than one large chunk.

Yes, you’re essentially buying into a laddered 30-year structure that pays a very conservative interest rate, probably akin to the low interest rates of treasuries. And you could do better simply by sticking all of your money into an S&P 500 index fund if you’re not educated in the ways of the market, like Warren Buffet recommends (and has instructed his wife to do when he dies.) But also...when you have that much money, do you really need MORE?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I was driving home from work at about 6:30 listening to 92.9. There was a huge flash of lightning then the station went totally dead. Then to static. Wonder if the tower was hit

@Kate08 Lightning hit the transmitter on top of the Pru and that is when they ordered fans to get out of the seating area.

44647819_10216323550614102_3603883581782360064_n.jpg

Reactions: Kate08

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
IDK. I really don't want that much money. (speaking of the lottery stuff).
We are a society of 'seekers". We always think there's something more...something better...that we arent enough just as we are.

When you are constantly hounding yourself with "If I could just..." "If i paid off... then I'd be ok"

No.
youre ok right now.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Hope everyone who lives in Northern RI, SE Mass stays safe with this crazy weather

couple confirmed tornadoes just to the north in North Providence and Lincoln, none here in East Providence but were under a warning most of yesterday afternoon.

Sunday is shaping up to be nasty too. Big Nor'Easter coming through hitting all of New England.

Southern and coastal areas will be rain, wind and flooding. Snow in the northern elevations

Reactions: BMC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad