OT: Off Topic 2018 part IV - Summer is OVAH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Less than an hour from Vancouver and we had to sneak across the border to buy LOTTERY TICKETS (and gasoline)

44397313_10216297609005578_3684719629411811328_o.jpg

44407261_10216297774809723_3348183558513491968_n.jpg

44406454_10216297786770022_3437982485630156800_n.jpg

Reactions: Alicat

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Watching the original 1941 Wolfman with Lon Chaney Jr.. Still pretty cool.

And now The Invisible Man with Claude Raines.

Those movies were great. Creature from the Black Lagoon was my all time favorite classic monster movie

Frankenstein scared the shit out of me. I remember I wanted to be him for Halloween. Two years in a row and my mom used to have to cover the mask in the box with paper towels so I didn’t see it. I was fine as long as I didn’t see it lol

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Food Network has a new show called Haunted Gingerbread Showdown and it’s mind blowing what these contestants do with gingerbread.

Anyone else obsessed with these kind of shows?

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Food Network has a new show called Haunted Gingerbread Showdown and it’s mind blowing what these contestants do with gingerbread.

Anyone else obsessed with these kind of shows?
I love them all. Cake wars, cupcake wars, all of them. Love seeing their creativity.
On a related note, @Kovi and I are going to a grand opening at a new cupcake place one of her online contacts has been working toward. $20 at the door, and all the cupcakes you can eat. Please say a prayer for my pancreas!

Reactions: Kovi and Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I love them all. Cake wars, cupcake wars, all of them. Love seeing their creativity.
On a related note, @Kovi and I are going to a grand opening at a new cupcake place one of her online contacts has been working toward. $20 at the door, and all the cupcakes you can eat. Please say a prayer for my pancreas!

I love the baking championships especially Christmas and spring.

This year’s winner is from Mystic, CT and owns Sift bakery. To die for breads and sweets.

My favorite is Ridiculous Cakes. One episode had a baker make a cake that was also a wine fountain.

I will say a prayer for your pancreas as long as we get a full review

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007

it
was
amazing

Reactions: Alicat

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Cooking competitions are just as manufactured and scripted as the Kardashians. Don't fool yourself about that.

There’s no doubt that @EverettMike is right about the skill level and what these folks can do, but I just find that these “competitive” cooking shows are just awful to watch for that very reason.

The pit BBQ “competition” ones are really bad too and the pit masters are amazing but to me, it’s just tough to watch. It’s too bad because I used to love Food Network and I always learned something new with pretty much every show I watched. Now? It’s all just unwatchable scripted garbage.

But I’m obviously not the demo they’re shooting for :D

Reactions: LSCII

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
There’s no doubt that @EverettMike is right about the skill level and what these folks can do, but I just find that these “competitive” cooking shows are just awful to watch for that very reason.

The pit BBQ “competition” ones are really bad too and the pit masters are amazing but to me, it’s just tough to watch. It’s too bad because I used to love Food Network and I always learned something new with pretty much every show I watched. Now? It’s all just unwatchable scripted garbage.

But I’m obviously not the demo they’re shooting for :D

Yeah that whole "reality" tv thing has wrecked many channels. What gets me is they get away with calling these shows "reality" when in fact they're as scripted & directed as any fictional tv series. If the networks were really serious about "reality" programming they'd do these shows live, no scripts & no seconds takes.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I'm not watching it to see who wins. I like seeing what they make. I like watched talented people do cool stuff, and the coolest stuff is always the Halloween ones.

I really liked that show Forged in Fire on History then it just got too mundane with the drama. The smiths were amazing but I just couldn’t take the scripted BS

Reactions: EverettMike
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad