OT: Off Topic 2018 part II - Warm enough for ya?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Karma is a bitch

Three Rhino Poachers Eaten By Lions in South Africa

A pride of lions ate a group of poachers after they broke into a game reserve earlier this week in South Africa to hunt rhinoceroses.

Three men were believed to have been eaten alive by the predators sometime between Sunday night and Monday morning after they entered the Sibuya Game Reserve in Kenton-on-Sea to hunt rhinos, Nick Fox, the park’s owner, told Newsweek.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Karma is a *****

Three Rhino Poachers Eaten By Lions in South Africa

A pride of lions ate a group of poachers after they broke into a game reserve earlier this week in South Africa to hunt rhinoceroses.

Three men were believed to have been eaten alive by the predators sometime between Sunday night and Monday morning after they entered the Sibuya Game Reserve in Kenton-on-Sea to hunt rhinos, Nick Fox, the park’s owner, told Newsweek.

Good for the lions.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Think the heat is bad here??? It is much worse in Montreal

MONTREAL —Health authorities in the Canadian province of Quebec said Thursday that 33 people have died from heat-related complications in the last few days.

Eighteen of those deaths have come in Montreal, where humid temperatures climbed past 110 degrees Fahrenheit (43 degrees Celsius).

Many of the victims were men over the age of 50 living alone in private apartments and seniors' residences, according to Dr. David Kaiser with Montreal's public health department.

None of the victims had air conditioning and Kaiser said most of them died inside of their homes.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1433378

Reactions: talkinaway

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

MONTREAL —Health authorities in the Canadian province of Quebec said Thursday that 33 people have died from heat-related complications in the last few days.

Eighteen of those deaths have come in Montreal, where humid temperatures climbed past 110 degrees Fahrenheit (43 degrees Celsius).

Many of the victims were men over the age of 50 living alone in private apartments and seniors' residences, according to Dr. David Kaiser with Montreal's public health department.

None of the victims had air conditioning and Kaiser said most of them died inside of their homes.

Everyone thinks cold is more unbearable, but the heat in the summer months kills WAY more people. If you've got elderly relatives or neighbors (or children), check in on them, make sure they have access to a cool area, and make sure they drink a little more water than they're used to, even if they're not that thirsty. When you get older, your sense of thirst gets a little blunted, and you're way more susceptible to getting heat stroke, AND to deteriorating rapidly once you do get heat stroke. Same goes for children.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
ALL the fireworks in this video were illegal last night in LA

Chopper Bravo Flies Over LA for Fourth of July Fireworks
The news out here was reporting on all the illegal fireworks people were using. The LAPD encouraged people to take pictures and videos so they could identify and rat out their neighbors for using fireworks. Literally everyone the news interviewed said they weren't going to snitch. Just a ridiculous proposition.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Montreal July Weather 2018 - AccuWeather Forecast for Quebec Canada

110 was the feel like temp, not actual temp. The same garbage we've had (upper 90s air temp + humidity).

Not to downplay the severity though, especially since they are slightly less used to it up there.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Heartbreaking, heat is so dangerous. I have severe asthma, while temps in Halifax have been tough on my breathing, I`d last about 15 minutes in Montreal right now

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
My mom said it was 115 in Surprise, AZ yesterday. Even sent a dashboard pic of her car thermometer. @Kovi and I are closing on our new house today, in...you guessed it, Surprise, AZ. But it's a dry heat, right?

oof, nope.

looked it up for fun.

from June 1 to today, there have been only 5 days below 100*, and forecast is to have only 8 days below 100* from June 1 to Sept 1

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
oof, nope.

looked it up for fun.

from June 1 to today, there have been only 5 days below 100*, and forecast is to have only 8 days below 100* from June 1 to Sept 1
it seems cliche at this point to say "It's a dry heat", but it really does have a different feel to it. Don't get me wrong, 115 is damned hot, but at 105 and less than 10% humidity, it's more comfortable than what we've had here for this past week. I'm sure we won't mind it when it's in the 70s in January.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
it seems cliche at this point to say "It's a dry heat", but it really does have a different feel to it. Don't get me wrong, 115 is damned hot, but at 105 and less than 10% humidity, it's more comfortable than what we've had here for this past week. I'm sure we won't mind it when it's in the 70s in January.

Exactly. Plus golf in the winter beats a little heat in the summer.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I went golfing on Wednesday morning with my son, and by the back nine, it was pretty damned hot. I'll take 3 months of really hot weather for 9 months of bearable (and no snow!) weather.

This 100%. And after a year or so as you get acclimated, the unbearable heat window shrinks to about 2 months, give or take. Well worth it to not have to scrape ice, shovel snow, and all that winter jackassery :laugh:

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
My mom said it was 115 in Surprise, AZ yesterday. Even sent a dashboard pic of her car thermometer. @Kovi and I are closing on our new house today, in...you guessed it, Surprise, AZ. But it's a dry heat, right?
It's official. The closing went through without a hitch, and @Kovi and I are now homeowners. Anyone need an extra snow shovel? We won't be needing ours anymore.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Congrats. At least you can cool off with a swsmp cooler there. Sleeping temps will be fine.
Ive slept 10 hours total since tuesday i think. Because no ac in our bedroom. Temps dont go below 75 with this humidity.

Reactions: Kovi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad