Off the board picks that worked out well

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
can not believe people are listing players who were projected as going in the first round as "going off the board"

The best going off the board I can give is

The announcers response tells it all

"right off the board"

ladies that is the bench mark for going off the board

Taking a guy at 6 who was projected to go 12 is not going off the board

Picking a guy at 12th who was projected to go at 20 is not going off the board

doing what the flames did--taking a guy THREE rounds early--is going off the board

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
https://www2.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9829

Maybe it was just me, but I was fully prepared for Jankowski to go late in the first round. I think Bob McKenzie's final survey had him at #41. Craig Button had Jankowski ranked highly on his list for awhile and there were some other rumblings that he might get taken in the first. The Devils had pick #30, so I remember thinking we might take a home run swing on Jankowski especially with him attending Providence College where Lou Lamoriello still had connections.

21st was admittedly higher than anybody had Jankowski, but three rounds early is overselling it.

Reminds me a little bit of the Jay O'Brien pick this year. Most lists had him firmly in the 2nd-3rd, but there were late rumors of him going in the 1st.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
can not believe people are listing players who were projected as going in the first round as "going off the board"

The best going off the board I can give is

The announcers response tells it all

"right off the board"

ladies that is the bench mark for going off the board

Taking a guy at 6 who was projected to go 12 is not going off the board

Picking a guy at 12th who was projected to go at 20 is not going off the board

doing what the flames did--taking a guy THREE rounds early--is going off the board

Ya he was projected to go at the start/middle of the second round...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad