Off the board picks that worked out well

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
Would barkov be considered a reach at two when it seemed everyone had him behind Jones and drouin?

Barkov junior was only downplayed in media "lists", not the actual lists. He had the best pre-draft season in the whole world hence being a surefire top-3 pick.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
To be fair he played 25 games in the Q that year, so drafting in sixth round a kid with not many Q experience isn't that rare i think

He wasn't playing Midget AAA because he didn't want to play in the Q, he just didn't make it at the camp at the beginning of the season. Becoming a NHL Draft pick 9 months after you were cut from a QMJHL camp is very impressive and unusual. Adding to that, he was also cut twice by his Midget AAA team.

The fact is he grew very fast. At 15 he was about 5'6 and ended up measuring 6'2 at 20.

Last edited:

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
He wasn't playing Midget AAA because he didn't want to play in the Q, he just didn't make it at the camp at the beginning of the season. Becoming a NHL Draft pick 9 months after you were cut from a QMJHL camp is very impressive and unusual. Adding to that, he was also cut twice by his Midget AAA team.

The fact is he grew very fast. At 15 he was about 5'6 and ended up measuring 6'2 at 20.
Well yeah? I don't know where you took I said something different? That's pretty much what happens when you get cut :laugh:

Anyway, all you say in this post is true and I agree, it's just that in your previous post you said he was playing Midget AAA in his draft year, without mentioning the Q experience. I just didn't want the reader to have the wrong ideas and make sure they had the good facts, that's all. His progression is indeed impressive.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Well yeah? I don't know where you took I said something different? That's pretty much what happens when you get cut :laugh:

Anyway, all you say in this post is true and I agree, it's just that in your previous post you said he was playing Midget AAA in his draft year, without mentioning the Q experience. I just didn't want the reader to have the wrong ideas and make sure they had the good facts, that's all. His progression is indeed impressive.

Thank God you exist for the readers. :D

You said it wasn't that rare... that's what I was answering to and disagreeing with.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Thank God you exist for the readers. :D

You said it wasn't that rare... that's what I was answering to and disagreeing with.
The progression is rare, not picking a project with few experience in the major junior league in the later rounds. It doesn't qualify as an off the board picks really when those two last rounds are made for picks like that imo.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Lidstrom.
it is really hard to say Euros in the early 90s...Europe was not drafted big time, most guys were going late rounds...you had your exceptions like Petr Nedved, Jarmoir Jagr, Mats Sundin who went 1st round but guys like Ziggy Palffy, Nicklas Lidstrom, Pavel Bure, Sergei Federov, Dominik Hasek, and the list keeps going just because not too many scouts were over Europe at that point.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Reactions: JimboA and Kelly

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Tyler Bertuzzi was the #207 ranked NA skater by Central Scouting, Detroit picked him at #58.

Absolutely hated that pick when it happened, but he had a pretty good rookie season (.5PPG) and looks like a pretty good player.

Yeah not sure how good he ends up but hes a top 9 NHL forward that was ranked pretty low. I was going to mention him. The rangers were going to take him in the third round though so the wings had to reach with their extra pick.

Scheifele was 100% considered a reach when he was drafted. People can try to spin it somehow else on draft day but that was the consensus

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
Claude Giroux was ranked #38 in North American skaters in 2006, basically a late 2nd or 3rd round pick. Flyers took him at 22. Looks pretty good in hindsight.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
He wasn't a reach. As I recall (way back in 2008/9) the Oilers had a jersey with his name on it, but had to settle for Cogliano a single pick later.

He most certainly was. I know it's hard now but I'd like someone to find me one mock draft that had him in the first round. Absolutely no one had heard of him, regardless of if the Oilers liked him.

For the Blues, Jaden Schwartz was a pick that pissed a lot of people off at the time.

For recent league wide, Bo Horvat. I didn't think Scheifele was that big of a reach.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He most certainly was. I know it's hard now but I'd like someone to find me one mock draft that had him in the first round. Absolutely no one had heard of him, regardless of if the Oilers liked him.

For the Blues, Jaden Schwartz was a pick that pissed a lot of people off at the time.

For recent league wide, Bo Horvat. I didn't think Scheifele was that big of a reach.

I believe Central Scouting had Oshie ranked 43rd, so taking him 24th would qualify as a reach.

http://cdn.nhl.com/mapleleafs/bc/images/delta/images/pdf/naskaters.pdf

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Christian Dvorak is the first that comes to mind recently. I really wanted the Leafs to take him with a 3rd-5th rounder that year. He was more raw and didn't get much opportunity in his draft year. Even a late 2nd would have been considered a reach at the time.

Guys of similar pedigree on the Knights (give or take, though I was a lot higher on Dvorak at the time) like Dunkley or Moskal didn't even get drafted this year.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Claude Giroux was ranked #38 in North American skaters in 2006, basically a late 2nd or 3rd round pick. Flyers took him at 22. Looks pretty good in hindsight.

Bob McKenzie's final survey had Giroux at #22: https://www2.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=3784

Central Scouting's list comes out in early April, so it's usually a bit outdated by the time the draft comes in late June.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Going a ways back, but Peter Forsberg was a projected mid/late rounder who shocked everyone by going 6th overall...

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
I feel like I remember de Haan being considered a reach when the Isles traded up to take him 12th. Maybe not "off the board" but I think he was prjected in the 20s

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad