Off the board picks that worked out well

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
Schiefele was not a reach... LOL, I remember cause I thought Ottawa would take him. Morrissey wasn't that big of a reach either

Ottawa also had the 21st overall pick of that draft. If Ottawa had expressed interest in Scheifele before the draft, I think people would have thought they would do so by either using the 21st pick or using that pick to trade up into the teens to take Scheifele.

Kale Clague

Aug 7, 2018
Jaden Schwartz
Jeff Skinner
Mark Scheifele
Shayne Ghostisbehere
Chris Tierney

Less established
Christian Fischer
Jack Roslovic

Still developing but tracking well
Henrik Borgstrom
Erik Brannstrom - debatable if he was a reach but at worst was a very late riser
Elias Pettersson
Jordan Kyrou
Cliff Pu

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Simmonds wasn't ranked by any scouting service, not even CSS. He was taken 61st.

I'm not sure if Wheeler "worked out" for Phoenix considering he didn't sign.

But Scheifele's a good one. I think Oshie was considered off the board too.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
picking someone in the 1st round that was considered to go in the 1st round is not a reach.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Brent Burns was a surprise pick at #20, back in 2003.

He was also drafted as a forward, and then got converted to D by Minnesota

This is always the one that comes to mind for me.

Burns was a big time draft favourite of mine at the time, but even I was shocked to see him go in the first round.

He had, had a relatively quiet regular season. But finished the year (last 10-15 games, plus the playoffs) extremely strong and there was a lot of buzz being generated around him. Similar to the buzz surrounding Liam Foudy this year.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
This is always the one that comes to mind for me.

Burns was a big time draft favourite of mine at the time, but even I was shocked to see him go in the first round.

He had, had a relatively quiet regular season. But finished the year (last 10-15 games, plus the playoffs) extremely strong and there was a lot of buzz being generated around him. Similar to the buzz surrounding Liam Foudy this year.

Eric Tangradi had similar late season helium in his draft year. Only managed 5 goals and 20 points in 65 regular season games, but then vaulted himself into a second round pick with a playoff breakout- 8 goals and 17 points in 15 games.

Kale Clague

Aug 7, 2018
How is picking a player in their 2nd year of draft eligibility, in the 3rd round, a reach (or off the board)..?

Well for 1, he doesn’t have to be picked in the first or second round to be a reach. 2, he was predicted/ranked to go much later than the 3rd based on public sources. It’s all relative IMO

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
For a player to come from an unknown hockey country like Kazakhstan, and being taken 10th overall when he was rated in the 40s to 60s, Nik Antropov forged a pretty decent career.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Hampus Lindholm is the poster child for this. I remember creeping on the Ducks board when that pick happened and they were absolutely furious. He's easily their top dman now.

Reactions: Kale Clague

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Hampus Lindholm is the poster child for this. I remember creeping on the Ducks board when that pick happened and they were absolutely furious. He's easily their top dman now.
Definitely. Our board was imploding, and the main board threads were full of guys laughing, mostly at us, and some at McGuire for calling it a "steal". Those threads are always a treat to re-read. A blogger on a Ducks fan site really put the cherry on top when he wrote a piece on how Murray needed to be fired over that pick - including a petition! - because even if Lindholm turned out well, people would always wonder what could have been with Dumba, and that was "a terrible thing to do to a young kid [Lindholm]".

Those were some days.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Ottawa also had the 21st overall pick of that draft. If Ottawa had expressed interest in Scheifele before the draft, I think people would have thought they would do so by either using the 21st pick or using that pick to trade up into the teens to take Scheifele.

It's also possible that someone still thought he'd be there at 21. Most of the year he was ranked below that. He only climbed into the teens on a few of the final ranking just before the draft.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Should we tell him?

My two buddies made fun of me when I told them that current NBA player Isaiah Thomas wasn't the son of former Pistons point guard Isiah Thomas. Since the two of them thought they were related, they insisted that they were right. Even after I looked it up for them, they refused to acknowledge that they were incorrect. [/coolstorybro]

Reactions: Skippy73

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad