Off the board picks that worked out well

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I guess when I think of this example, Blake Wheeler is the guy that comes to mind. Huge "reach" at #5 turned into a good 1st line winger. I think it's arguable Price was too. Any other ideas? Sorry if this isn't the board for this since most of the posts are about prospects. Thought this would be a good discussion.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I guess I was wrong, I thought people said it was a surprise. But maybe that's because it was Montreal.

I could be wrong he could have been rated 7th. I guess one might say it was somewhat surprising since Brule(#5) was pretty highly rated at the time. Kopitar also was a wildcard. I guess other might argue it was surprising in the sense Theodore was a couple years removed from being an MVP, so why draft another goalie(and that might be the basis of people saying it was surprising)

All that being said it wasn't like Price was an out of nowhere pick

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Clayton Keller was a little early also like Hayton and Hampus Lindholm, but not like Hickey, Wheeler though. Scheifele definitely went earlier than projected.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I guess when I think of this example, Blake Wheeler is the guy that comes to mind. Huge "reach" at #5 turned into a good 1st line winger. I think it's arguable Price was too. Any other ideas? Sorry if this isn't the board for this since most of the posts are about prospects. Thought this would be a good discussion.
To be honest though, in retrospect from the Coyotes perspective drafting Blake Wheeler at 5 was terrible for them.

He didn't end up a great player, but Nik Antropov was a solid player for the Leafs for a decade or so, and he was a very off the board pick. Scheifele was a slight reach at the time. Hampus Lindholm is a very successful reach pick.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Bo Horvat, now in hindsight it wasnt THAT big of a reach but Nichushkin, Shinkaruk, Domi, Wennberg, Lazar, Zadorov etc available

The hockey news had him at #21
Craig Button had him at 19

Among fans, it was a reach, the boards were laughing at the Canucks for trading Schneider and taking Horvat.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
I can’t seem to find a video of Oshie getting drafted in 2005, but the HF blues prospect thread for him was titled “who is T.J. Oshie?”. Can’t find that either. I just remember everybody being like “wtf?” when that pick was made. Ended up being a very solid pick for a late first rounder.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I can’t seem to find a video of Oshie getting drafted in 2005, but the HF blues prospect thread for him was titled “who is T.J. Oshie?”. Can’t find that either. I just remember everybody being like “wtf?” when that pick was made. Ended up being a very solid pick for a late first rounder.

He wasn't a reach. As I recall (way back in 2008/9) the Oilers had a jersey with his name on it, but had to settle for Cogliano a single pick later.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
A bunch of late firsts are also reach. i.e Riley Nash. Oilers fans were like WTF? He didn't sign (forced a trade a few years later) but you could see the skill with him in the NCAA.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Mark Jankowski looks like he could fit it that category

He turned out well, but despite all the fun made of the pick at the time, he was probably at worst a 2nd rounder of some kind, so it's not like the pick was as "out there" as some experts seemed to think.

If Feaster hadn't made his silly comment about Janko possibly being the best player in the draft five years down the road I don't think people would have made as big a deal of the pick.

Reactions: McDLT and derriko

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
He wasn't a reach. As I recall (way back in 2008/9) the Oilers had a jersey with his name on it, but had to settle for Cogliano a single pick later.
Yeah, I wish I could look up old info on that but looks like the thread and vids have all been purged.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The fact that a Rangers fan asked this accurately depicts the mental state of our board right now. (Not a shot at you Snowblind, just found it funny)

Eh, it's something I've been interested in for a while. I don't think we took TOO many off the board picks. The goalie, whose name I keep forgetting and am too lazy to look up is the worst one I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad