Speculation: Off Season Trade Thread vol. V: Should he stay or should he go now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I don't see Bobby Ryan getting traded. I don't know if Spezza asked for a trade, but it wouldn't surprise me if half the reason Spezza is on the block is because the team looked at their long term cap situation/budget and has chosen to offer extensions to Ryan/MacArthur, leading to them needing to trade Spezza.

If anything, I'd be surprised if Ryan isn't extended as soon as possible in order to deflect any potential negative reaction if Spezza is moved.

Sure is quite around here though. Ryan said a month ago he was interested. Why has Murray not finished that off. Or looked at any of the rest of the work he has to deal with.

I get some are caught up with the Cup and all, but that does not mean the rest should be on vacation. There are a lot of deals to be decided on - and getting some of next year's crop extended should be happening now.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sure is quite around here though. Ryan said a month ago he was interested. Why has Murray not finished that off. Or looked at any of the rest of the work he has to deal with.

I get some are caught up with the Cup and all, but that does not mean the rest should be on vacation. There are a lot of deals to be decided on - and getting some of next year's crop extended should be happening now.

I believe you can't sign an extension until the last year of the contract begins. Ryan can't put pen to paper until after UFA day.

great1

Nov 13, 2009
Fergus, Ontario
I believe you can't sign an extension until the last year of the contract begins. Ryan can't put pen to paper until after UFA day.

Ryan can't sign an extension until July 1st but he can agree to a deal now, then all he has to do is sign the papers on July 1st. Malkin and the Penguins did that last year.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Two Options
What do you guys think, any feedback appreciated.

Lot of thought in there. I'd like to see Spezza & Greening to Avs (around O'Reilly & Barrie) or Coyotes (around Yandle & Samuelsson) as my choices.

I also wish Murray/Melnyk would take a hard look at signing Stastny if O'Reilly is not to be had. Adding both a Yandle and a Stastny would be interesting

Ryan - Stastny - Hemsky
MacArthur - Turris - Stone
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Lazar
Smith - Da Costa - Puempel/Prince
Neil, Condra

Yandle - Karlsson
Methot - Gryba
Cowen - Ceci
Borowiecki

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Lot of thought in there. I'd like to see Spezza & Greening to Avs (around O'Reilly & Barrie) or Coyotes (around Yandle & Samuelsson) as my choices.

I also wish Murray/Melnyk would take a hard look at signing Stastny if O'Reilly is not to be had. Adding both a Yandle and a Stastny would be interesting

Ryan - Stastny - Hemsky
Neil, Condra

Yandle - Karlsson
Methot - Gryba
Cowen - Ceci
Borowiecki

No chance for either of those deals. We bend over the Avs in the first one, and Phoenix doesn't want Spezza

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Although trading Boro-cop for nothings would kind of suck, how much does his intensity/character outweigh the many times he will undoubtedly put the team shorthanded because he is sitting in the sin-bin, or playing with 5 defence men for a large part of the game because he was expelled? It's fun to watch him hit like even Chris Neil can't, but as a defence man getting ejected really hurts the team with 5 d only available to play.

Also, I feel like if we're keeping him, Gryba is redundant and will cost more, so we should trade him. Phillips is just... ugh a headache. Hard to trade because of sentimentality, but he's just such a liability, and an expensive one!
Yeah it's not like he can improve on his decision making. Boro will improve.

John Holmes*

He was sent back down because by the end of the stretch he started leaving his position to go out and look for hits to make. The guy is great, but I'm not sure his game is sustainable at the NHL level. He also puts his team short-handed way too much. 5 min majors for defence men leave the team with only 5 D, which for one time would be fine, but if this happens constantly it can take a toll on players and pairings get messed up

By that logic Cowen should have been sent down as he was probably the worst player we had last year.

Selective development I guess. How strange.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Bruins fan coming in peace. What would it take to pry Bobby Ryan off of you guys? Since Spezza is on the block, I figure you guys are going into some sort of rebuild.

Peter Chiarelli also has a thing for Senators. Still real close to his former organization.

To Ottawa:
Loui Eriksson
M.Subban or Ryan Spooner
1st

For

To Boston:
Bobby Ryan

you want 1 year of Bobby Ryan for that?

We take it and run for our lives

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
No chance for either of those deals. We bend over the Avs in the first one, and Phoenix doesn't want Spezza

so maybe we have to add a prospect and work off a different D return. Elliott might be useful as a Right shot.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa

Ryan - Stastny - Hemsky
Neil, Condra

Yandle - Karlsson
Methot - Gryba
Cowen - Ceci
Borowiecki

Why would Avs trade O'Reilly for Spezza?

They need help on defense. Methot would have to be included in any deal with Avs.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Why would Avs trade O'Reilly for Spezza?

They need help on defense. Methot would have to be included in any deal with Avs.

I'd think about that a little if there was a pick included if Spezza resigns. O'Reilly would set the top line in place and let Turris do his thing for years to come.

Our D is okay (young and needs time) and with Boro coming in and Phillips forced on the team again, Methot and his $$ could be moved.

Probably need a prospect like Beaupre back though as well.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Bobby Ryan to Boston ? Yeah I'm down with eriksson spooner/subban and a first. And I'm not even an eriksson fan.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
Bruins fan coming in peace. What would it take to pry Bobby Ryan off of you guys? Since Spezza is on the block, I figure you guys are going into some sort of rebuild.

Peter Chiarelli also has a thing for Senators. Still real close to his former organization.

To Ottawa:
Loui Eriksson
M.Subban or Ryan Spooner
1st

For

To Boston:
Bobby Ryan

I would make this deal in a minute. Doubt Boston would though. Drop either the prospect or the pick. You won't get both if you get a Loui Eriksson.

I would take Eriksson any day in a deal and then flip him for picks/prospects. You can probably get a good prospect and a first or second for him.

So Bobby Ryan for say 2 firsts and a prospect. Looks good to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad