Speculation: Off Season Trade Thread vol. V: Should he stay or should he go now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I dont like Murray's trade record so im leaning to us getting screwed. Saying that, I really like pirates so who knows YARRRR Mematy

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
We will not get a player as good as spezza in return. We will just get someone to fill the spot. I doubt that player will finish in the top 3 in scoring for us. Unless Turris can be this teams #1 center we are going to be in the same hole a third of the teams in the league are in.

Last edited:

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I actually don't believe we have to get an equal player back to come out well if/when we trade Spezza. Our D was atrocious last year, so if we pick up a serviceable but not flashy D who can log 3/4 minutes our team would improve dramatically. We are overloaded at C, so while losing a PPG player hurts it may not be catastrophic.

A 3/4 D on a good contract plus a first round pick will put us in a good position moving forward. Anything beyond that is gravy IMO.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
I voted for plunder, because pirates.

In all seriousness though, this could turn out pretty well for us. COULD. Let's just knock on wood and cross our fingers that BM pulls off something big.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Look at the final 4 teams this year. We are not even close to the level of any of those teams, besides MTL.. and they seem to always be in the mix somehow.

Our goaltending, outside of 24 games last season is not very good, our D outside of EK is not very good, and our centres, outside of Spezza and somewhat Turris are not very good.

Maybe in 5 years a veteran Turris and Prime Zbad and breakout Lazar will be able to lead us to the conference final/stanley cup. Who knows. What I do know is that Spezza has led us to the SCF before and I believe he can do it again.

We are going to waste the prime of a lot of our players careers if we decide to do a long-term rebuild. What was the point in trading Silf/Noes/1st for Bobby Ryan if he's going to be 31 by the time we are ready to make a run for it?

It just seems like this team is always going in two different directions. We make one move that seems like we are gearing up for the playoffs then we make another move that seems like we are going back to rebuilding. If all the rowers in the boat are moving their oars in different directions you end up treading water for eternity.

At this point I really don't care either way what we do with Spezza. I just want the team to be moving in a specific direction. If we want to rebuild, fine lets rebuild. But then stop picking up deadline free agents and signing veterans to bloated contracts.

LatteLarrys

LatteLarry's
Dec 27, 2013
I actually don't believe we have to get an equal player back to come out well if/when we trade Spezza. Our D was atrocious last year, so if we pick up a serviceable but not flashy D who can log 3/4 minutes our team would improve dramatically. We are overloaded at C, so while losing a PPG player hurts it may not be catastrophic.

A 3/4 D on a good contract plus a first round pick will put us in a good position moving forward. Anything beyond that is gravy IMO.

Yes, as long there is a good return for us moving forward. I wonder if Anaheim's early exit from the playoffs will pique their interest in Spezza.

His priceless laugh will be missed...

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
We will not get a player as good as spezza in return. We will just get someone to fill the spot. I doubt that player will finish in the top 3 in scoring for us. Unless Turris can be this teams #1 center we are going to be in the same hole a third of the teams in the league are in.

None of the final four teams have a PPG center.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
You mean Spezza +/- is because of the ****** team ? Turris was +22 with same team. And please, dont start with Spezza plays against "harder competition" stuff ;)

Before Christmas Spezza was a shadow of himself and he was playing with Michalek also with health issues.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Knowing Murray it will be a fair deal, if he trades SPezza at all

I expect it to be fair but he's never shied away from risk before.

Though, given what we know, there really is no desperation on our side here. No major public rift between the two sides (Spez and management) that would force Murray's hand. ("...would be amenable to a change of scenery..." does not count as irreconcilable differences to me.)

The two sides met. Agreed that if a deal could be swung to give Jason a new home they would explore that possibility. If not, what's the downside to keeping him around? He's worth more to us, warts, indeterminate future contract and all, than any middling package could bring.

I think a deal is likely but not given. No reason to deviate too far from the player + good prospect + high pick framework that management has implied. We're already hearing that a handful of teams are in on the action. Bodes well. If Murray sticks to the plan, and no further negative info comes out about the reasoning behind exploring a trade, how bad could the return be?

M4TR1X

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
A lot of teams would love to have a Jason Spezza in their line up, more specifically I'm looking at St.Louis.

I wouldn't mind a Berglund + 1st for Spezza + 3rd, type deal.

ChabotToTrot

Jul 22, 2011
Ottawa
A lot of teams would love to have a Jason Spezza in their line up, more specifically I'm looking at St.Louis.

I wouldn't mind a Berglund + 1st for Spezza + 3rd, type deal.

As much as I like Berglund, if that is what St.Louis offers for Spezza, Murray hangs up the phone. There are very few players at the calibre that Spezza is offensively. Yes he has his defensive woes but that can be fixed by a coach but he also has to be willing. His health is no longer a big concern really, misses a couple games each season from now on, most players do. Now the thought of a offensively gifted, defensively minded, and healthy Spezza? That scares the crap out of me, and I'm sure coaches would line up at the opportunity to even have a chance at that. So if the market is as high as it should be and there is a bidding war between a couple teams that should raise the price. From Anaheim I would love to see us get Silf+ Ott 1st+ Vatanen and from St.Louis anything involving Schwartz would really be awesome, not sure if we have to add or not.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
Two Options

Playoff Contender Option #1:

Stone - Spezza - Hemsky
MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Havlat
Condra - Da Costa/Pageau - Neil
Rechlicz

Edler - Karlsson
Methot - Niskanen
Wiercoich - Ceci
Phillips - Gryba

Lehner
Anderson

*Trades/Signings*
Cowen + Smith + Prince/Driedger/Boro for Edler
Sign Niskanen 5x5 - 25
Sign Hemsky 5x5 - 25
Greening for Havlat (50% Retained)
Sign Joel Rechlicz 550kx 2 - 1100k

*Notes*
If Havlat for Greening wont work plan B would be to sign J. Jokinen.

Murray and MacLean love theyre tough guy, why not get one of the best for league minimum. Also a fwd so he doesnt mess up the defense lines too much. Also were a pretty soft team top to bottom.

Cowen is tough to give up and I feel he does have a lot of potential but getting 2 top 4 d-man was worth more then potential in this case.

I want less penaltys, Neil is worth nothing, so Smith is dealt. Also a trading chip for Edler.

I'd love to get rid of Phillips, but it wont happen.

The only thing that I this team maybe lacking is team toughness. Our defense is pretty soft, may have to make a trade to address that during the season.

*Approximate Cap hits*
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,129,167; BONUSES: $1,595,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $9,970,833

Future Option #2:

MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
*SmithPelly/Yakupov* - Zibanejad - Stone
Hoffman - Da Costa/Pageau - Greening
Condra - Smith - Neil
Rechlicz

Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Ceci
Wiercoich - Gryba
Phillips

Lehner
Anderson

*Trades/Signings*
Spezza for DSP, Theodore and 2015 1st or Spezza for Yakupov
Hemsky 's rights for 4th.
Michalek's rights for 6th.

*Notes*
The biggest reason to do this is to be in the top 10 of 2015 draft. The top 10 is unreal.

Spezza needs to be a home run deal, a guy or guys that can be very good in a couple years.

At the deadline we would still have a lot of chips to play (Methot, Anderson, Neil). Hopefully we can keep these guys but Ryan and MacArthur are huge chips as well.

Well here is two ways I'm looking at how our summer should go depending on what management decides.

What do you guys think, any feedback appreciated.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Look at the final 4 teams this year. We are not even close to the level of any of those teams, besides MTL.. and they seem to always be in the mix somehow.

Our goaltending, outside of 24 games last season is not very good, our D outside of EK is not very good, and our centres, outside of Spezza and somewhat Turris are not very good.

Maybe in 5 years a veteran Turris and Prime Zbad and breakout Lazar will be able to lead us to the conference final/stanley cup. Who knows. What I do know is that Spezza has led us to the SCF before and I believe he can do it again.

We are going to waste the prime of a lot of our players careers if we decide to do a long-term rebuild. What was the point in trading Silf/Noes/1st for Bobby Ryan if he's going to be 31 by the time we are ready to make a run for it?

It just seems like this team is always going in two different directions. We make one move that seems like we are gearing up for the playoffs then we make another move that seems like we are going back to rebuilding. If all the rowers in the boat are moving their oars in different directions you end up treading water for eternity.

At this point I really don't care either way what we do with Spezza. I just want the team to be moving in a specific direction. If we want to rebuild, fine lets rebuild. But then stop picking up deadline free agents and signing veterans to bloated contracts.

Exactly!

ChabotToTrot

Jul 22, 2011
Ottawa
Quick question, how do we get into the top 10 of next years draft with Anaheim's pick. Are they supposed to be bad? Or we trade two firsts for a top 10?

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
Quick question, how do we get into the top 10 of next years draft with Anaheim's pick. Are they supposed to be bad? Or we trade two firsts for a top 10?

lol, I meant are pick would be the top 10 pick. The chances our team would be pretty trash if we go option 2 route.

But I feel we should collect as many 2015 picks as we can.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
None of the final four teams have a PPG center.

You are right But what they do have with the exception of Montreal have A #1 center who makes or will make Spezza money. The problem is not Spezza, the problem is the rest of the talent on the team that makes Spezza standout. Putting Toews on this team would not result in much improvement if any.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad