Speculation: Off Season Trade Thread vol. V: Should he stay or should he go now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Borocop may be pretty good for our bottom pairing. He has an edge and he has a lot of experience maybe like a Benoit.

Hemmer Time

May 4, 2014
Although trading Boro-cop for nothings would kind of suck, how much does his intensity/character outweigh the many times he will undoubtedly put the team shorthanded because he is sitting in the sin-bin, or playing with 5 defence men for a large part of the game because he was expelled? It's fun to watch him hit like even Chris Neil can't, but as a defence man getting ejected really hurts the team with 5 d only available to play.

Also, I feel like if we're keeping him, Gryba is redundant and will cost more, so we should trade him. Phillips is just... ugh a headache. Hard to trade because of sentimentality, but he's just such a liability, and an expensive one!

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
So Boro will be 25 once next season starts so it has to be safe to assume he will, or already has, topped out. Feels like a good piece to keep in the minors for call-ups though. I don't see why they'd give him a one-way contract at this point and other teams won't exactly be knocking down the door to get him from us.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Value of Bobby Ryan to Boston

Bruins fan coming in peace. What would it take to pry Bobby Ryan off of you guys? Since Spezza is on the block, I figure you guys are going into some sort of rebuild.

Peter Chiarelli also has a thing for Senators. Still real close to his former organization.

To Ottawa:
Loui Eriksson
M.Subban or Ryan Spooner
1st

For

To Boston:
Bobby Ryan

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
So Boro will be 25 once next season starts so it has to be safe to assume he will, or already has, topped out. Feels like a good piece to keep in the minors for call-ups though. I don't see why they'd give him a one-way contract at this point and other teams won't exactly be knocking down the door to get him from us.

He still has lots to learn at the NHL level.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Ryan was acquired as a piece this past summer that would be a part of our core moving forward. The guy is 26, he is still young, so just because we may be trading Spezza or going into an extra stage of rebuilding doesn't mean Ryan will go anywhere.

Won't go into much more detail than that as there are other guys with more knowledge regarding trade values than I.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Bruins fan coming in peace. What would it take to pry Bobby Ryan off of you guys? Since Spezza is on the block, I figure you guys are going into some sort of rebuild.

Peter Chiarelli also has a thing for Senators. Still real close to his former organization.

To Ottawa:
Loui Eriksson
M.Subban or Ryan Spooner
1st

For

To Boston:
Bobby Ryan

If Ryan doesn't want to re-sign by summer. I do this trade pretty easily.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

To Ottawa:
Loui Eriksson
M.Subban or Ryan Spooner
1st

For

To Boston:
Bobby Ryan

Many believe that the reason Spezza is on the move is so Ryan, Turris and MacArthur take a larger role with the team. He's not on the block unless it becomes clear that he won't re-sign this summer.

That being said, the deal you're offering is not bad. We would probably take Spooner over Subban as we don't need young goalies as we have Brassard and Driedger as the next in line.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Bobby wont like Boston. Too many bridges. lol

I would prefer he be one of the players we build around. Great locker room guy and all that.

But as pointed out, if he is demanding too much or simply wont sign, then we will have to move him to make best use of the asset.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
We should trade away Borowiecki.

Boro will be better then Cowen next year. Guy played great for bingo and really was a leader. If he can stop taking penalties he'll develop into a perfect 5. Guy has shown that he has what it takes to become better and raise his game. Plus he actually puts fear into people. If anything i think the senators could have used more players as intense and passionate as him this year.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
I'd be hesitant to do so.

We have very, very few players who give a **** on our blueline aside from Methot and Karlsson(even though we've seen lack lustre efforts here and there).

Cowen, Wiercioch, Gryba, Phillips these guys are ridiculously emotionless and don't know when they should step up their game or even celebrate properly for OT winner.

Boro has drive, heart and leadership. He knows when the team needs him to step up and make a big hit or when he needs to go after someone cause our team is looking shaky.

Boro may not amount to much but at this point, what do we have to lose from giving him a look? I remember when he played against Pitts and smashed both Malkin and Neal.

And of course, this:

i7qZfWV3W4P4P.gif

I was at that game. Boro is a beast. Just drops one guy, then drops the other like a bad habit, then makes his face concave when he gets up to try and fight.

Personally, I think Boro needs to have a more regular role next year. When he was up, he just kept throwing big hits and giving opposing players a reason to think carefully before going to our net, putting their heads down, OR trying to start **** with our guys. In terms of physical play, he was probably our most effective player on a shift-for-shift basis.

Laoghaire

Jun 1, 2008
Ottawa
I was at that game. Boro is a beast. Just drops one guy, then drops the other like a bad habit, then makes his face concave when he gets up to try and fight.

Personally, I think Boro needs to have a more regular role next year. When he was up, he just kept throwing big hits and giving opposing players a reason to think carefully before going to our net, putting their heads down, OR trying to start **** with our guys. In terms of physical play, he was probably our most effective player on a shift-for-shift basis.
He stopped playing like that after his first few games though. It isn't really a sustainable way to play.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH

To Ottawa:
Loui Eriksson
M.Subban or Ryan Spooner
1st

For

To Boston:
Bobby Ryan

Boston wouldn't be foolish enough to go after Ryan.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Many believe that the reason Spezza is on the move is so Ryan, Turris and MacArthur take a larger role with the team. He's not on the block unless it becomes clear that he won't re-sign this summer.

That being said, the deal you're offering is not bad. We would probably take Spooner over Subban as we don't need young goalies as we have Brassard and Driedger as the next in line.

Brassard's contract will likely either be traded or expire, at which point he'll re-enter the draft.

http://the6thsens.com/2014-articles/senators-looking-to-trade-francois-brassards-rights.html

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
He stopped playing like that after his first few games though. It isn't really a sustainable way to play.

I'd say its debatable whether or not playing like that can be sustained over the course of a season, or even several seasons.

PLus, to be fair to Boro, the only guy to play on the main roster this year who was in fewer NHL games than him was SDC, with 12. Boro only got 13 NHL games. I don't think in ANY of those games he was or worst defense man, so the fact that he was taken out is disappointing to me.

Sure, he didn't run someone over like an 18 wheeler hitting a golf cart in every game, but he did it more than most of our guys when he was here.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I do not agree with trading Boro.

2 x hardest worker
leads by example
puts everything out there every shift
makes league min
does what is needed of him

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

I don't see Bobby Ryan getting traded. I don't know if Spezza asked for a trade, but it wouldn't surprise me if half the reason Spezza is on the block is because the team looked at their long term cap situation/budget and has chosen to offer extensions to Ryan/MacArthur, leading to them needing to trade Spezza.

If anything, I'd be surprised if Ryan isn't extended as soon as possible in order to deflect any potential negative reaction if Spezza is moved.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I don't see Bobby Ryan getting traded. I don't know if Spezza asked for a trade, but it wouldn't surprise me if half the reason Spezza is on the block is because the team looked at their long term cap situation/budget and has chosen to offer extensions to Ryan/MacArthur, leading to them needing to trade Spezza.

If anything, I'd be surprised if Ryan isn't extended as soon as possible in order to deflect any potential negative reaction if Spezza is moved.

Can you imagine if we trade Spezza for a great return then sign Ryan right afterwards to great extension? Would be perfect start to the summer.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I hate Boro and even I can see there's no point in trading him unless it's alongside Spezza

He has potential and has been within the organization for a while: I figure he deserves an actual shot.

The team, as it stands now, is terrible: he won't be the difference between making or missing the playoffs so might as well see what he's got

John Holmes*

I liked what I saw out of Borowiecki this year. Actually couldn't understand why he was sent back down so we could watch Cowen and Phillips poop all year.

Hemmer Time

May 4, 2014
I liked what I saw out of Borowiecki this year. Actually couldn't understand why he was sent back down so we could watch Cowen and Phillips poop all year.

He was sent back down because by the end of the stretch he started leaving his position to go out and look for hits to make. The guy is great, but I'm not sure his game is sustainable at the NHL level. He also puts his team short-handed way too much. 5 min majors for defence men leave the team with only 5 D, which for one time would be fine, but if this happens constantly it can take a toll on players and pairings get messed up

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I remember that game where Boro dropped two guys. Nice hits. For the life of me, however, I can't remember any of his other games this year.

So.....I have to ask, is it possible for his game to translate to wing? We need wingers, we need hard hitters, we need a good fighter, and we can't afford to have a defenseman sitting in the box...

If he could move to wing (who the hell cares if he puts up any points) and do the job for 7-10 minutes a game, why not?

The Fuhr*

I think Boro will be waived... Makes league minnimum and they had no issue waving JOB this year.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I'd be hesitant to do so.

Cowen, Wiercioch, Gryba, Phillips these guys are ridiculously emotionless and don't know when they should step up their game or even celebrate properly for OT winner.

Celebrate properly? Ridiculously emotionless? Do you not read that and see how insanely stupid it sounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad