Speculation: Off Season Trade Thread vol. V: Should he stay or should he go now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
That's one way to look at it. Here's another:

Mike Weber (10-11; Signed for 2 years, 1.9M)

GP: 58
G: 4
A: 13
P: 17
+/-: +13
PIM: 69
Hit: 158
BKS: 99
TOI: 16:53 ES: 15:12 SH: 1:35 PP: 0:05

Ryan Wilson (10-11; Signed for 1 year, 1.275)

GP: 67
G: 3
A: 13
P: 16
+/-: -8
PIM: 68
Hit: 135
BKS: 110
TOI: 19:48 ES: 16:35 SH: 2:25 PP: 0:47

Clayton Stoner (11-12; Signed for 2 years, 2.1M)

GP: 51
G: 1
A: 4
P: 5
+/-: +3
PIM: 62
Hit: 72
BKS: 80
TOI: 17:35 ES: 15:54 SH: 1:39 PP: 0:01

Nate Prosser (11-12; Signed for 2 years 1.65M)

GP: 51
A: 11
P: 12
+/-: -17
PIM: 52
Hit: 34
BKS: 124
TOI: 19:14 ES: 16:17 SH: 2:04 PP: 0:52

Justin Falk (11-12; Signed for 1 year, 825k)

GP: 47
A: 8
P: 9
+/-: -13
PIM: 54
Hit: 78
BKS: 78
TOI: 19:29 ES: 16:56 SH: 2:19 PP: 0:14

Keith Aulie (12-13; Signed for 1 year, 975k)

GP: 45
G: 2
A: 5
P: 7
+/-: +1
PIM: 60
Hit: 91
BKS: 42
TOI: 12:49 ES: 12:09 SH: 0:38 PP: 0:27

And THIS is how actual agents go about comparables. Nice to see a quality post in this thread for once.

insomniac

High on Hockey
Jul 31, 2009
Ottawa
forum.highonhockey.com
OK, so I was definitely not being generous enough with salaries in my earlier post. I think I've fixed that and made an even better team:

Re-Sign:

Gryba @ $2.5M
Lehner @ $1.7M
Da Costa @ $1.2M
Hoffman @ $1.2M

Sign:
Moulson @ $5.5M
Ekblad @ $0.925M

Trade:
Spezza + Condra + 2015 3rd
to Florida for Boyes + 2014 1st

Borowiecki + Prince + Wiercioch + 2014 2nd
to Buffalo for Ehrhoff

Phillips
to Edmonton for 2014 3rd

Draft: Aaron Ekblad

Matt Moulson ($5.5M) - Kyle Turris ($3.5M) - Bobby Ryan ($5.1M)
Clarke MacArthur ($3.25M) - Mika Zibanejad ($0.894M) - Brad Boyes ($2.625M)
Mike Hoffman ($1.2M) - Stephane Da Costa ($1.2M) - Mark Stone ($0.603M)
Colin Greening ($2.65M) - Zack Smith ($1.888M) - Chris Neil ($1.9M)
Jean-Gabriel Pageau ($0.613M)

Christian Ehrhoff ($4M) - Erik Karlsson ($6.5M)
Jared Cowen ($3.1M) - Cody Ceci ($0.894M)
Marc Methot ($3M) - Aaron Ekblad ($0.925M)
Eric Gryba ($2.5M)

Craig Anderson ($3.188M)
Robin Lehner ($1.7M)

PAYROLL: $56,730,000
CAP SPACE: $14,370,000

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Good roster, Josh. Defense is very deep with star potential. I like forward lines, hard-working players. Can dish and pass. I'd really try to target a guy like Upshall/Fleishmann/Pirri instead of Boyes cause I just don't see him fitting in with the speedy, gritty hard nosed game we'd try to carry out.

My few concerns are: Will Moulson be a realistic catch to come here?

And I honestly believe Phillips going no where and they signed him to be intermediary captain until Karlsson/Lazar/Turris are ready.

John Holmes*

Why on earth would anyone want to pay Gryba $2.5 Million?

I don't even think Murray is that dumb.

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
With Boro on a 1-way this season, one of, or possibly both Weircioch and Gryba are gone. My guess is Weircioch is part of the Spezza deal, and/or Gryba is sent packing for a late draft pick due to his impending contract and the fact that Borowieki will fill the same role for a much cheaper price.

Karlsson-Shattenkirk
Methot-Cowen
Ceci-Phillips
Boro

Codo37

Apr 7, 2008
Germany
With Boro on a 1-way this season, one of, or possibly both Weircioch and Gryba are gone. My guess is Weircioch is part of the Spezza deal, and/or Gryba is sent packing for a late draft pick due to his impending contract and the fact that Borowieki will fill the same role for a much cheaper price.

Karlsson-Shattenkirk
Methot-Cowen
Ceci-Phillips
Boro

I dont know why many user dont look at the Position or Left/Righthanded thing???

Karlsson will never play with Shattenkirk, cause they are both RD and both shot right. Cowen will never play RD, he is a LD! Gryby will stay cause he was our best Stay at home D and has the best plus/minus of all out defenseman.

I like boro but i mean there is no room fr him here and dont wanna lose Wier cause i think he will be a very good d-man in 2 years. But time will tell

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I dont know why many user dont look at the Position or Left/Righthanded thing???

Karlsson will never play with Shattenkirk, cause they are both RD and both shot right. Cowen will never play RD, he is a LD! Gryby will stay cause he was our best Stay at home D and has the best plus/minus of all out defenseman.

I like boro but i mean there is no room fr him here and dont wanna lose Wier cause i think he will be a very good d-man in 2 years. But time will tell

Agree re LHD and RHD. It was one of our issues last year for the coaches too.

I don't want to see us move Wiercioch either, unless we are getting back an elite young LHD somehow (Spezza deal?) to replace him, as we will need a better puck mover on the left side. Methot, Phillips, Cowen and Boro are all more stay at home types. I don't want to see us move Boro though - he has something no one else on our blueline has - nastiness. Methot and Cowen are physical, but not nasty. Plus, Boro will compliment one of Karlsson or Ceci long-term IMO - could even end up a regular ES partner to one as part of a top 4.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

I don't want to see us move Wiercioch either, unless we are getting back an elite young LHD somehow (Spezza deal?) to replace him, as we will need a better puck mover on the left side. Methot, Phillips, Cowen and Boro are all more stay at home types. I don't want to see us move Boro though - he has something no one else on our blueline has - nastiness. Methot and Cowen are physical, but not nasty. Plus, Boro will compliment one of Karlsson or Ceci long-term IMO - could even end up a regular ES partner to one as part of a top 4.

This is why I think they'll move Mehtot - he's making some big coin and unless the team is ready to give up on Cowen or Weir one of then has to be on the move. After this seasons playoffs and seein how important the Emelins / Greenes /M. Staals are I think Methots value will be high for a team looking to stabilizes its D

He could easily get you a nice prospect or some picks. And getting his salary off the books will help with FA.

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax
Use high comparables to get a high reward... The goal should be to get awarded 60-70% of what Cowen or Schenn

My prediction is he gets 1Yr at 2.0

He will get at least 2 mil if he goes to arbitration....im hoping he doesn't and just signs a 3 year deal at something like 1.5 per might be safer for both him and the team long term. he doesnt know if he will grow or slip.... and the team can look at his stats and say he was OUR BEST defensive DMAN last year lets lock him up for cheap if we can and if he gets better were laughing. if not hes still cheap enough and young enough to have decent trade value to the right team at the right time. I.E. trade deadline.

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax

Boro Cop is a mirror of his coach. I like him and I want him on the team when Phillips is gone to take that place.

sens613

Apr 12, 2012
This is why I think they'll move Mehtot - he's making some big coin and unless the team is ready to give up on Cowen or Weir one of then has to be on the move. After this seasons playoffs and seein how important the Emelins / Greenes /M. Staals are I think Methots value will be high for a team looking to stabilizes its D

He could easily get you a nice prospect or some picks. And getting his salary off the books will help with FA.
I would only go this route if we fully blow up the roster, which is fine. If we try and make a push for the playoffs we need to unload a couple defenceman and add a legit top 4 guy imo on top of methot.

Really depends what murray has planned, I am fine with a "retool" or a "rebuild" as long as fully commit to either.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

Maybe, but frankly, unless another veteran is coming in, I don't see us moving either of Phillips and Methot. The D is already ridiculously young and inexperienced. I have no problem with Phillips as a 6/7 along with Gryba. I know he makes a lot of coin for that spot, but I don't think he makes so much that it will really restrain the team financially, any more than it is already. Most 3rd tier veteran d-men UFA's are going to cost you $2M. Might as well keep our own guy for that much given the continuity, leadership and local ties he brings.

As to Methot, I'm hoping he finds his game of two years ago and settles down a bit as a veteran for the team. If he can't settle down, then moving him this season is definitely an option.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I would only go this route if we fully blow up the roster, which is fine. If we try and make a push for the playoffs we need to unload a couple defenceman and add a legit top 4 guy imo on top of methot.

Really depends what murray has planned, I am fine with a "retool" or a "rebuild" as long as fully commit to either.

I'd go with the young kids - Ek, Weir, Ceci as our puck movers (this would be an elite moving D if they all get on track) and Phillips, Cowen and Gryba as our PK, shot blocking muscles guys (very solid, al,
Most elite if Cowen becomes a top 2 D man)

Maclean wants to build an elite puck moving team and I think you need to go with our young puck movers on D to really get a sense of where we are at. If they can't get it done time to make moves, I like Meot but signing Phillips seems to have made him expendable

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax
Why on earth would anyone want to pay Gryba $2.5 Million?

I don't even think Murray is that dumb.

no one wants to. but if they qualify him and it goes to arbitration (which it mght) we would have no choice if he was awarded that much. TBH I don't think he'd get quite that much probably closer to an even 2 mil. people keep arguing that he's not in the class of guys he's being compared to and they're right but those guys awards all came in a system that had a considerably lower cap and that does effect this sort of hearing.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I'd go with the young kids - Ek, Weir, Ceci as our puck movers (this would be an elite moving D if they all get on track) and Phillips, Cowen and Gryba as our PK, shot blocking muscles guys (very solid, al,

Maclean wants to build an elite puck moving team and I think you need to go with our young puck movers on D to really get a sense of where we are at. If they can't get it done time to make moves, I like Meot but signing Phillips seems to have made him expendable

I see Phillips as a 6/7/8 guy this year along side Ceci and Weir who might need some press box time depending on their inconsistencies.

sens613

Apr 12, 2012

I think methot moves the puck rather well and is much more mobile then Philips. If we are trying to be an elite puck moving team swapping Philips for methot is a step in thw wrong direction imo.

If we trade methot I would hope Philips spezza and Anderson would follow and we get as many young assets or picks for the 2015 draft as possible .

Either that or get a yandle or Campbell or ehroff type of dman and move 2 of wier boro gryba or possible cowen

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Aside from a mutually agreed "We're out of the playoffs, you're retiring next year, and a contender wants you at the deadline, go and try to win the Cup" type move on the last year of his deal, Phillips will never be moved.

This is speculation, but there's more to the Phillips deal than just wanting him as a player. After Alfie-Gate, a disasterous season, and Spezza who is one of their longest serving players and second captain in two years to potentially be "pushed out"; 2.5 million is a small price to pay to retain Phillips, let him retire as a Senator, and build some good will around the organization.

This isn't NHL 14 where players are just names assigned to stats. There are political ramifications to coaching and GM moves.

Anybody with any armchair GM teams that don't have Phillips on them are dreaming.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
We should trade away Borowiecki.

I'd be hesitant to do so.

We have very, very few players who give a **** on our blueline aside from Methot and Karlsson(even though we've seen lack lustre efforts here and there).

Cowen, Wiercioch, Gryba, Phillips these guys are ridiculously emotionless and don't know when they should step up their game or even celebrate properly for OT winner.

Boro has drive, heart and leadership. He knows when the team needs him to step up and make a big hit or when he needs to go after someone cause our team is looking shaky.

Boro may not amount to much but at this point, what do we have to lose from giving him a look? I remember when he played against Pitts and smashed both Malkin and Neal.

And of course, this:

i7qZfWV3W4P4P.gif

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Trading Boro away for junk accomplishes nothing.

He's fine defensively as long as he's sheltered. Which is normal for a bottom pairing dman.

Plus he brings something 2/3 of the lineup severely lacks, character and intensity.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I think in the few games he had early this season, he was alright.

Not a liability on the back end if memory serves me right.

I thought he was a decent bottom pairing guy. Seemed to pump some energy into the boys.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
The only thing that Boro scares me is how he handles the puck. He makes Cowen look like Karlsson sometimes. He got better though, no point in moving him when his value is minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad