OT: Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
As long as Filppula goes, I'm happy. The guy makes me miss Hudler... Come on.

Bulk up a little bit. Get one of Clowe, Horton, or Clarkson.

Continue the youth movement

Success.

Edit: As long as Samuelsson is gone, I would be happy.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Guess we could wait until after the draft, was just hoping for something positive around here and we generally like all these guys. A nice distraction from the I hate Holland I have a feeling is coming for the next month. Like I said though a Mod can make the call, just was offering to start it, but whatever works for everyone.

I hear you, I just think that especially since we have the highest draft selection we have had in years that we should include the guys we draft this year into the rankings like we usually do. But you can ask the mods and everyone else what the would prefer. That's just my two cents.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
hahaha that was good. I'm all for voting for Jurco for #1 prospect in seriousness though.

I went to games #2 and #6 in Toronto. He is big and skilled. He kinda reminds me of a motivated Antropov. I am also quite excited for him.

1st Line Interloper

Will Drop the Gloves
May 4, 2013
Who gets bought out with their amnesty clauses from other teams?

I've only heard that Van is buying out Booth and Bieksa. We could use Booth but I'm curious as to what other teams are doing there.

Once that question is answered, I'd then project what I'd like to happen.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I think most are in agreement here. Get some size up front, give the kids bigger roles.

Now what about the defense? I mean we're not in panic mode like five months ago, but there's still room for improvement.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
If we won tonight I would have Jurco'd from Det to Calle.

That would have been Mrazek-al

Quite a bit faster though. Maybe similar to a guy like voracek?

Yeah, kinda. A Voracek-Antropov mix is a good observation of his game. I think he hangs onto the puck more than Voracek, but this is in the AHL. He likely won't be able to look quite as slick as soon as he steps on NHL ice.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I think most are in agreement here. Get some size up front, give the kids bigger roles.

Now what about the defense? I mean we're not in panic mode like five months ago, but there's still room for improvement.

The D will get better. Like has been said before. What the Wings really need is a true #1 guy that can play 25+ minutes a night, shut down an opposing teams best players and contribute offensively. Unfortunately, those type of players rarely hit the market and there is probably only 8-10 (?) players like that in the league. Best scenario is our young guys develop and get better. While Kronwall and Big E become better defensively and minimize mistakes.

I'll continue banging the more scoring/highly skilled offensive talent player gavel.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
1. Buyout Sammy. what kind of moron would pay a guy 6 plus million dollars to sit in the press box? free up the cap space and roster spot for a younger better hockey player

2. Trade one of KQ or CC for a pick/prospect. Again frees up cap space and the roster spot. No way can we have CC in the press box all season

3. let white and filppula walk

4. resign brunner for 3 years at 3 million

5. resign all RFA's

6. resign one of miller or cleary to play as the 15th forward

7. draft one of horvat/wennburg(sp)/lazar/domi with the 18th overall pick

8. sign one of horton/richards(if he gets bought out)/weiss or do the untinkable and make a trade for once, Vanek anyone?

9. promote tatar

Tonic

Jan 25, 2013
I agree with pretty much everything here:

Buyout/trade Sammy, Quincey, CC (in that order)
Sign a good defenseman and sniper
Call up Tatar
Resign RFAs + Brunner
Let Filppula walk

The buyout/trade line is by far the most important. We have WAY too may players right now.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
You guy's need to lay off Eva. He's actually one of the most knowledgable fans on this entire board. You should check out his posts on the history board. The dude knows his stuff. Great fan,that guy.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You guy's need to lay off Eva. He's actually one of the most knowledgable fans on this entire board. You should check out his posts on the history board. The dude knows his stuff. Great fan,that guy.

Have never said he doesn't know hockey, just his Hudler material is a little exhausting. Him and Czech the Math (I think that is it) are two of the greatest in terms of the History Board.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Flip should be run out of town.

In no way should we consider paying that guy anywhere near $5 million.

jz68

Feb 13, 2013
What about Bertuzzi? He's worthless and still has a year on his contract.

Jussha

Jan 15, 2006
Keeping the playoff streak alive and rebuilding on the fly with top 5 talent

Let me start off by saying that I'm really happy we kept the playoff streak alive and got some of our kids some really good learning experience.

However, call it parity, or whatever you want, the Detroit are not the NHL's elite no more, and for the first time post lock-out, a franchise will win 2 cups.

Eventually you can't rest on past laurels and referring to the wings as the team that won 4 cups in 16 years, and start referring to the team that has on 1 cup since the lock-out. I wanted to be the first team to win 2 cups post-lock out, yes I'm greedy, and I'm a bit sad that it's not going to be us, but if you look at the 4 potential teams that will do it, they all had to suck first and rebuild with top-end draft talent

Chicago has Toews, Kane, etc.

Pittsburgh has Malkin, Crosby, etc.

LA has Doughty, Kopitar, etc.

Boston didn't really have to suck suck like the others it seems, but was able to get top end talent with Seguin and Hamilton through the whole Kessel ordeal.

I don't want the wings to have to tank in order to get top end talent and end their playoff streak, but I think its essential that we draft some true top end talent that can make real impacts on the long-term future success of the team if we want to be part of the upper echelon of teams winning multiple cups in the post-lockout era.

I think we can do this without having to miss the playoffs, Holland just has to get creative and have a long-term vision/plan.

Here is my crazy plan to rebuild on the fly and still be a playoff calibre team

1) We have our highest draft pick in like 22 years at 18th overall, please for the love of god Holland do not trade it for two 2nd rounders or something like that this time.

2) you have a large number of prospects that lots of us fans and I'm certain you yourself have grown fond of. Do a real evaluation and look at your roster and think about some that can be moved this draft day that have actual value. For example, you have 3 real legitimate top d prospects that would be viewed highly by most NHL teams I think in Sproul, Ouellet, and Jensen.. You have for most part a core of dmen currently on the team that I think will be here for a while, Kronwall, Ericsson, Smith, Dekeyser, and with Kindl's play, based on what contract he gets, maybe that is 5. So, will all 3 of those coveted dmen prospects make the wings? Maybe we an package one with our 18th overall and another draft pick in the draft. Even with goalies, you committed to Howard for 6 more years I think, I love Mrazek, but with that commitment, do we keep Mrazek or trade him while he has some pretty high value as a goalie prospect. And even with the forwards, we got a lot of winger prospects it seems, will they really all make the wings in the next 3 years, maybe we can trade some of the excess this draft.

3) My crazy idea to get us into the top 3, as new GM of the oilers, MacT will be looking to make a move and put some of his stamp on the team, they have the 7th overall pick, and don't seem to have enough dmen they like or goalie prospects in their system, and Dubnyk is definitely not their goalie of the future. Trade One: 18th overall + 48th overall + Mrazek + maybe another prospect for 7th overall. Is this fair value? If we are the ones overpaying I don't know but I don't care, we have lots of prospects, its time to move some, you can't keep hoarding them and then never play them. Trade Two: 7th overall + 78th overall + 108th overall + Jensen/Sproul/Ouellet for 3rd overall + 7th rounder. Stevie owes us is how I see it for getting our 1st rounder for Quincy, now he returns the favor. He still gets the 7th overall pick, a top prospect dman, and 2 more draft picks.

I am even willing to part with more I do not care if they are overpayments, but is the value I'm initially giving up fair to begin with. The way I see is our team is still capable of making the playoffs with these moves, by letting Tatar and Nyquist permanently into the roster next season we get enough youth and talent to keep the offense good, our d is not immediately affected, and we have a 3rd overall pick to maybe draft a real game changer with that can make a more immediate impact on the roster.

What do you guys think? I can see Mindfly maybe loving this LOL

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Who gets bought out with their amnesty clauses from other teams?

I've only heard that Van is buying out Booth and Bieksa. We could use Booth but I'm curious as to what other teams are doing there.

Once that question is answered, I'd then project what I'd like to happen.

Doubt it. Their only RH D? Well Corrado may count.

Bieksa has value anyway. Would be 2nd best D for Wings.

They are buying out Ballard, if they are using it on some of their D.

Have never said he doesn't know hockey, just his Hudler material is a little exhausting. Him and Czech the Math (I think that is it) are two of the greatest in terms of the History Board.

I'd add Devilmademe.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I'm going into this offseason with zero expectations. I'm already coping with the fact that Filppula and Cleary will be back and we won't sign anyone else. We heard Babcock again start lobbying for more talent, let's see if Holland finally does something about it. But I'm not holding my breath.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Of the guys currently on the market, the only move I'd make is sending out Q and CC to bring in Gonchar. Then use Lashoff as our #7. Maybe someone is available through trade, but our info about that is probably sketchy at best, and there's no one else on the UFA market overly interesting. Far more likely we just go into the season with what we have now unless something big happens with either compliance buyouts or RFA not being tendered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad