OT: Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
we're in a division with four playoff teams including one of the eastern conference finalists now

**** got real

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
Every off season plan should start out with "Compliance buy out of Sammuelson". To that:

• Compliance buyout of Sammy
  • Let Fil go, use his money to land Horton, Clowe, Clarkson or Bickell
  • Resign Brunner, Kindl, Nyquist, Smith, Anderson
  • Bring back Cleary if he takes a big discount and we can afford it.
  • Play Tatar.
  • Crazy move: Offer sheet Leddy; I doubt Chicago can deal with a $3M contract offer. If it goes through, trade Quincey.

Jussha

Jan 15, 2006
So we will finally have a team that's won 2 cups since the lockout.

Eventually you have to reach a point where you can't rest on past laurels and past championships, I'm sure if the Penguins win a 2nd cup they aren't going to say they've won 4 cups in the past 23 seasons, eventually the wings shouldn't brag about winning 4 cups in the past 16 seasons. When we talk about being the model franchise that's always the excuse, we've won 4 cups, but now a team will win 2 cups post lock out before us, and maybe that franchise becomes the new model franchise for the NHL on how to win post-lock out.

I hope Holland realizes that maybe this time is now and not be so complacent this offseason, and please make a few changes to show that you are trying to get this team to be upper echelon again. I'm happy with our play this playoffs and that our kids got some great experience, but please let this translate into what you do this offseason. Don't resign Cleary despite his decent play this playoffs, the young players showed they could perform and its time to change just a little bit. Nyquist proved he has the skills to be a real top 6 threat in this league, please show you believe in him Holland with your personnel moves that indicate he will be given that chance next season. That's all i ask, a few changes to show that this team is going to accept transition and try and build a new core to get to being upper echelon so we can hopefully win a 2nd cup post-lock out as 1 of the 4 teams is about to do this post-season.

Also, please Holland don't do your standard trade the first rounder for 2 2nd rounders that you normally do, this team needs a chance to draft a high end first rounder as we haven't had one in ages. At 18th overall, you have accumulated a lot of prospects, please think hard about the ones that you really think will be cornerstones of this team, and the ones that have value but maybe won't have room for, maybe package them with that 18th overall and trade up for the first time to try and a top ten pick to help rebuild this team on the fly without having to end the playoff streak.

I'm happy we kept the playoff streak alive and played better than expected in the playoffs and gave the kids some valuable experience, but the true greats are never satisfied, and always expect more of themselves, and always want to improve and get better, because they want to be the best. That's how I think of my red wings, a hungry team that wants to win and continue winning, and doesn't want to settle for less, so please show me this off-season moves that show this team wants to be the best again, it doesn't have to be a big UFA signing, but show me there is life in you Holland, please LOL

Detroit Sports*

Every off season plan should start out with "Compliance buy out of Sammuelson". To that:

• Compliance buyout of Sammy
  • Let Fil go, use his money to land Horton, Clowe, Clarkson or Bickell
  • Resign Brunner, Kindl, Nyquist, Smith, Anderson
  • Bring back Cleary if he takes a big discount and we can afford it.
  • Play Tatar.
  • Crazy move: Offer sheet Leddy; I doubt Chicago can deal with a $3M contract offer. If it goes through, trade Quincey.
don't we have to give up picks if the offer sheet goes through?

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
A million times no to David Clarkson. I can't emphasize this enough. I guarantee he will get the worst contract this summer and will be garbage comparatively.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Dustin Penner maybe?

I've been enjoying the speed from some of the younger guys. He's sort of a move in the other direction.

However... he's a proper big top 6 net guy, that probably fits better than Abby or Cleary.

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
don't we have to give up picks if the offer sheet goes through?

Yeah, I don't know what the current compensation chart is, but I think it's a 2nd rounder for a ~$3M contract. So, yeah, we lose a 2nd round and get a 5th-6th for Quincey maybe? I have no idea what the market value he has, but I think it's better than a 7th. But, even a 7th is fine. :laugh:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Franzen-Datsyuk-Brunner
Nyquist-Zetterberg-Samuelsson(*)
Tatar-Helm-Abdelkader
Tootoo-Andersson-Eaves

Kronwall-Ericsson
Quincey(*)-Kindl
Smith-DeKeyser
Cola

* The spots I'd look to upgrade.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I don't know how anyone can want Cleary gone after he was literally one of our best forwards tonight. He was flying, somehow. I think he might've been on something, because my eyes weren't believing it, but he was actually looking really effective. We need his efforts to succeed in the playoffs, IMO.

Oct 18, 2006
Buyout Sammy. Buyout Tootoo. Let Cleary walk (won't happen, he'll get a Bertuzzi deal). Let Filppula walk if he wants more than $4.5. He won't, and he'll re-sign.

My ideal team:

Franzen - Zetterberg - Filppula
Brunner - Datsyuk - Nyquist
Tatar - Helm - Ferraro
Abdelkader - Andersson - Eaves

Kronwall - Ericsson
Dekeyser - Kindl
Smith - Quincey

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I don't know how anyone can want Cleary gone after he was literally one of our best forwards tonight. He was flying, somehow. I think he might've been on something, because my eyes weren't believing it, but he was actually looking really effective. We need his efforts to succeed in the playoffs, IMO.

He had a good game. No other way around it. Not sure he's the answer moving forward, but if anybody dogs him for his playoffs this year they are dead wrong. He's exactly what you could want from a depth winger in both series.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan

Because we know how Cleary operates. He is going to look like **** come next October. He is gonna be 35 and there are are more useful players waiting in the pipeline.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Either Nathan Horton or Stephen Weiss or maybe look into Mike Ribero or some thing like that Resign Brunner, Smith, Kindl, Nyquist and Andersson, Let Filppula and White walk maybe resign Clearly if cheap or resign Drew Miller. Buyout Samuelsson but I doubt that Holland will do that.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Nyquist is better than Flip, and will be much cheaper. Flip should not even be considered for a new contract. I still like Brenden Morrow as New Cleary. And I think Clarkson could be a good fit even if they have to overpay. He's a shooter and he goes to the net and stays there.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Either Nathan Horton or Stephen Weiss or maybe look into Mike Ribero or some thing like that Resign Brunner, Smith, Kindl, Nyquist and Andersson, Let Filppula and White walk maybe resign Clearly if cheap or resign Drew Miller. Buyout Samuelsson but I doubt that Holland will do that.

Don't like Ribiero's on ice characteristics. Don't need a guy like that on this time.

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
A million times no to David Clarkson. I can't emphasize this enough. I guarantee he will get the worst contract this summer and will be garbage comparatively.

Yeah, I'd much rather see us land Horton or Clowe, but bottom line Clarkson will be a better signing than Fil.

But, why do you hate Clarkson? He's a 20-30 goal scorer with more a little more size than most of our forwards.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Nyquist is better than Flip, and will be much cheaper. Flip should not even be considered for a new contract. I still like Brenden Morrow as New Cleary. And I think Clarkson could be a good fit even if they have to overpay. He's a shooter and he goes to the net and stays there.

Agreed on all things but Morrow.

Morrow was lifeless and full of dumb penalties during his final years in Dallas. It was painful to watch. It's not often fans completely turn against their captain, but that was one scenario.

Maybe he finds new life on a new team, but if you put him with Z or D you'd likely be banging your head at him killing all the creativity. I'm not sure he's much better than Abdelkader at this point, and the stats kind of back that up this playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad