OT: Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jussha

Jan 15, 2006
you know Abby has grown on me in the last month and a half, i hated him tremendously on the top line to start the season, but he seems to be figuring his role out a bit better on it with time, and I am ok with

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Abdelkader

as our first line going forward next season, they played well when they were the unit in the playoffs, however when we do that we have no second line with the way Filppula was playing.

Nyquist deserves a promotion to line 2, so we have

Franzen - Center - Nyquist

We need to make this second line a real threat so we can keep our first unit intact.

Will be interesting to see who the compliance buyouts are in the offseason.

My crazy fantasy, I hope Yzerman buys our Lecavalier and we can sign him to a 2 year deal to center our 2nd line

Franzen - Lecavalier - Nyquist

Then have Tatar take Nyquist spot on the 3rd line and if Helm comes back,

Tatar - Helm - Brunner

That's not a bad top 9, and Vinny can still play, but at his current salary ppl dog on him, but if he is a compliance buy out and we can get him on a good deal, I think he can greatly improve our team.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I don't know how anyone can want Cleary gone after he was literally one of our best forwards tonight. He was flying, somehow. I think he might've been on something, because my eyes weren't believing it, but he was actually looking really effective. We need his efforts to succeed in the playoffs, IMO.

If it's too good to be true, it probably is. Cleary needs to play with Zetterberg to be somewhat effective, and I don't want him on Z's wing next season. There's a long 82 games before the fun starts, and Wings will be in tough to make it.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Agreed on all things but Morrow.

Morrow was lifeless and full of dumb penalties during his final years in Dallas. It was painful to watch. It's not often fans completely turn against their captain, but that was one scenario.

Maybe he finds new life on a new team, but if you put him with Z or D you'd likely be banging your head at him killing all the creativity. I'm not sure he's much better than Abdelkader at this point, and the stats kind of back that up this playoffs.

He's been very good in Pittsburgh. And who wouldn't be lifeless playing in that downward spiral that Dallas has been in the last several years?

If he's cheap, I like it. He doesn't have to be captain here, he just has to do Cleary's job and not suck.

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
I don't know how anyone can want Cleary gone after he was literally one of our best forwards tonight. He was flying, somehow. I think he might've been on something, because my eyes weren't believing it, but he was actually looking really effective. We need his efforts to succeed in the playoffs, IMO.

Cleary did have a great game tonight and an overall solid playoffs. However, I can how most fans here are tired of his antics. His effort is always there, but his brain isn't. Too often he takes questionable penalties, turns the puck over unnecessarily and makes bad plays.

Still, if Holland can sign him cheap for a short contract, I'd be ok with it.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Do we have two of the same threads going?

Or am I too drunk to notice the difference?

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Because we know how Cleary operates. He is going to look like **** come next October. He is gonna be 35 and there are are more useful players waiting in the pipeline.

While I also expect him to have a bad start (and regular season in general... if he is still in the NHL), it is almost worth it to carry that guy all year long if he's gonna bring something in the playoffs. Though if we just sign or trade for a guy who is similar in that sense, then no need for Danny.

mackaveli

Jun 12, 2005
Vancouver, BC
you know Abby has grown on me in the last month and a half, i hated him tremendously on the top line to start the season, but he seems to be figuring his role out a bit better on it with time, and I am ok with

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Abdelkader

as our first line going forward next season, they played well when they were the unit in the playoffs, however when we do that we have no second line with the way Filppula was playing.

Nyquist deserves a promotion to line 2, so we have

Franzen - Center - Nyquist

We need to make this second line a real threat so we can keep our first unit intact.

Will be interesting to see who the compliance buyouts are in the offseason.

My crazy fantasy, I hope Yzerman buys our Lecavalier and we can sign him to a 2 year deal to center our 2nd line

Franzen - Lecavalier - Nyquist

Then have Tatar take Nyquist spot on the 3rd line and if Helm comes back,

Tatar - Helm - Brunner

That's not a bad top 9, and Vinny can still play, but at his current salary ppl dog on him, but if he is a compliance buy out and we can get him on a good deal, I think he can greatly improve our team.

Lecavalier is so good. I don't care about his contract, he is a top line centre and has been plagued with injuries in Tampa and needs a change.

He would thrive under Babcock's system and has all the skills in the world that Zetterberg and Datsyuk have.

A sign and trade with Filppula so Tampa can have him for 8 years or whatever and throw in whatever to get it done.

We have the cap space if we get rid of the bums like cleary, tootoo, miller, eaves, emmerton, quincey, etc.

I'm tired of Holland not making a big move and I think this year with the UFA's on the market being 2nd rate that Holland has to do some trades to make the team better.

I'm tired of Holland always just signing 3rd or 4th liners hoping they can contribute and overpaying them by a million.

He signed like 4 garbage players for a total of 7 to 8 million. Imagine getting Lecavalier. We have the young guys in the system who can step up.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
While I also expect him to have a bad start (and regular season in general... if he is still in the NHL), it is almost worth it to carry that guy all year long if he's gonna bring something in the playoffs. Though if we just sign or trade for a guy who is similar in that sense, then no need for Danny.

Unless he sucks all year and then has nothing left for the playoffs. Dude is like a Dodge Caravan with 200,000 miles on it. Thing could go at any time.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Unless he sucks all year and then has nothing left for the playoffs. Dude is like a Dodge Caravan with 200,000 miles on it. Thing could go at any time.

hahaah, reminds me of my old Sebring. You never quite knew what would occur.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington

I understand your sentiment and in theory it's not the worst idea in the world. And I thought Cleary played pretty good at times(still made plenty of inexcusable mistakes and took horrible penalties and turnovers) and always played hard. But if Cleary is on the roster, Babs will play him.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan

Not worth it. I am not OK with bringing Cleary back just because he had one decent playoffs. He has been worthless garbage 90% of the past 2 1/2 years.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I understand your sentiment and in theory it's not the worst idea in the world. And I thought Cleary played pretty good at times(still made plenty of inexcusable mistakes and took horrible penalties and turnovers) and always played hard. But if Cleary is on the roster, Babs will play him.

It is true :(

If Babs knew to keep him on 4th line all year and then throw him out in a top 9 role in the playoffs to spice things up, maybe it works. But I'd rather let him + Flip walk and get a Horton/ Clowe/ Clarkson like everyone else.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Don't we usually wait a little bit for the prospect polls?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Don't we usually wait a little bit for the prospect polls?

Guess we could wait until after the draft, was just hoping for something positive around here and we generally like all these guys. A nice distraction from the I hate Holland I have a feeling is coming for the next month. Like I said though a Mod can make the call, just was offering to start it, but whatever works for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad