OT: Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I was looking at amnestying him.

Why amnesty him this season? I don't think they should anyway, but if it was ever going to go down it will be next summer not this one in terms of Franzen.

There is nothing really out there that would push us to a limit where dumping Franzen makes sense before entering next season. If they find the right trade offer fine, but they are unlikely to, he isn't one of the big problems on this team, we need more talent, makes it harder to key on our only three forwards that can score with regularity and like him or not Franzen is one of those three.

HTT3*

Hope Tatar plays next season. Looking forward to seeing more of Dekyeser and Nyquist Explosion.

Sheahan and/or Farraro should be called up a lot to fill in for injuries.

Detroit Sports*

Let me start off by saying that I'm really happy we kept the playoff streak alive and got some of our kids some really good learning experience.

However, call it parity, or whatever you want, the Detroit are not the NHL's elite no more, and for the first time post lock-out, a franchise will win 2 cups.

Eventually you can't rest on past laurels and referring to the wings as the team that won 4 cups in 16 years, and start referring to the team that has on 1 cup since the lock-out. I wanted to be the first team to win 2 cups post-lock out, yes I'm greedy, and I'm a bit sad that it's not going to be us, but if you look at the 4 potential teams that will do it, they all had to suck first and rebuild with top-end draft talent

Chicago has Toews, Kane, etc.

Pittsburgh has Malkin, Crosby, etc.

LA has Doughty, Kopitar, etc.

Boston didn't really have to suck suck like the others it seems, but was able to get top end talent with Seguin and Hamilton through the whole Kessel ordeal.

I don't want the wings to have to tank in order to get top end talent and end their playoff streak, but I think its essential that we draft some true top end talent that can make real impacts on the long-term future success of the team if we want to be part of the upper echelon of teams winning multiple cups in the post-lockout era.

I think we can do this without having to miss the playoffs, Holland just has to get creative and have a long-term vision/plan.

Here is my crazy plan to rebuild on the fly and still be a playoff calibre team

1) We have our highest draft pick in like 22 years at 18th overall, please for the love of god Holland do not trade it for two 2nd rounders or something like that this time.

2) you have a large number of prospects that lots of us fans and I'm certain you yourself have grown fond of. Do a real evaluation and look at your roster and think about some that can be moved this draft day that have actual value. For example, you have 3 real legitimate top d prospects that would be viewed highly by most NHL teams I think in Sproul, Ouellet, and Jensen.. You have for most part a core of dmen currently on the team that I think will be here for a while, Kronwall, Ericsson, Smith, Dekeyser, and with Kindl's play, based on what contract he gets, maybe that is 5. So, will all 3 of those coveted dmen prospects make the wings? Maybe we an package one with our 18th overall and another draft pick in the draft. Even with goalies, you committed to Howard for 6 more years I think, I love Mrazek, but with that commitment, do we keep Mrazek or trade him while he has some pretty high value as a goalie prospect. And even with the forwards, we got a lot of winger prospects it seems, will they really all make the wings in the next 3 years, maybe we can trade some of the excess this draft.

3) My crazy idea to get us into the top 3, as new GM of the oilers, MacT will be looking to make a move and put some of his stamp on the team, they have the 7th overall pick, and don't seem to have enough dmen they like or goalie prospects in their system, and Dubnyk is definitely not their goalie of the future. Trade One: 18th overall + 48th overall + Mrazek + maybe another prospect for 7th overall. Is this fair value? If we are the ones overpaying I don't know but I don't care, we have lots of prospects, its time to move some, you can't keep hoarding them and then never play them. Trade Two: 7th overall + 78th overall + 108th overall + Jensen/Sproul/Ouellet for 3rd overall + 7th rounder. Stevie owes us is how I see it for getting our 1st rounder for Quincy, now he returns the favor. He still gets the 7th overall pick, a top prospect dman, and 2 more draft picks.

I am even willing to part with more I do not care if they are overpayments, but is the value I'm initially giving up fair to begin with. The way I see is our team is still capable of making the playoffs with these moves, by letting Tatar and Nyquist permanently into the roster next season we get enough youth and talent to keep the offense good, our d is not immediately affected, and we have a 3rd overall pick to maybe draft a real game changer with that can make a more immediate impact on the roster.

What do you guys think? I can see Mindfly maybe loving this LOL

With your trade number 2 you never said who we were getting lol.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
no desire whatsoever to trade up into the top 10 right now

18th overall pick lands us one of horvat, lazar, gauthier, domi or zykov

if we want to move prospects or picks it should only be done for ESTABLISHED NHL young talents like Ryan or Vanek etc

otherwise forget it

move out the old dead bums for full time roster spots for nyquist, brunner, tatar, andersson, dekeyser

call up ferraro, jurco, sheahan and pulkinnen for 2-10 games each this year so each gets a taste(or more of a taste)

call up sproul, ouellet and almquist for a limited # of games each as well

bring in a 2nd line centremen like richards or weiss or otherwise get a big bodied winger like horton or clarkson

youth movement is served, cupboard is stacked and stocked

Kenadyan

Jul 23, 2003
Asheboro, NC
Visit site
Stevie owes us is how I see it for getting our 1st rounder for Quincy, now he returns the favor.

LOL. That may be how you see it, but I doubt Yzerman is looking at it that way.

Yzerman's not a GM with TB so that he can do the Wings a favor.

If a trade improves his team and he feels it is in the Lightening's best interest to make a trade, then he will.

However, I wouldn't bank on him making a trade just to do the Wings a favor.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
their is a HUGGGGGGGGGGGE difference between an organizational philsophy based on drafting and devloping well and not moving every single available pick and or prospect for aging veterans for playoff runs and buying out or moving aging veterans to free up cap space and roster room for said prospects and picks and/or QUALITY young UFA's, HUGGGGGGGGGGGE difference and that should never ever ever be confused as being one in the same

trading nyquist plus sproul plus tatar for jammy jagr is the later and a terrible idea

moving(one way or another) sammy or bert to make room for nyquist and tatar is the complete opposite and a brillant organizational philisophy

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Off-season is too long to put all this in one thread. We'll have one thread all summer because any news would qualify.

We'll do individual topics and reports as they come up.

Freep reports and posts moved to new thread.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad