Speculation: Off Season Thread Part II: Wake me up when September ends

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
if they lock the players out again, i'm finished with the nhl

FTFY and Agreed and the only thing I can see now is Big Market vs Small Market ... which the Leafs essentially gave the middle finger to Bettman with that ridiculous signing bonus when Bettman essentially told teams not to do throw out those kind of signing bonuses heading into the next round of negotiations.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
FTFY and Agreed and the only thing I can see now is Big Market vs Small Market ... which the Leafs essentially gave the middle finger to Bettman with that ridiculous signing bonus when Bettman essentially told teams not to do throw out those kind of signing bonuses heading into the next round of negotiations.

Strike vs Lockout is merely a technicality, bordering on semantics.

Also, I don't see big vs small, if they were going to fight that fight, we wouldn't have lost a season and a half because the owners wouldn't have had the necessary solidarity. The current setup has been very beneficial to every team, even and perhaps especially the Toronto types, who despite revenue sharing, are making more money today thanks to having cost certainty.

Lastly, the Tavares bonus isn't about market size, it's about exploiting tax loopholes. And I can't see the league having a viable plan or even a necessity to address income tax, and the players have no incentive to address it as far as I know.

Escrow, the escalator and Olympics are the battles that could, but not necessarily should, be fought. Hopefully the two sides can tweak things a bit without looking for any major overhauls.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Patches to Vegas.
I still can't help feeling like there is a fluke factor in Vegas and they'll come back down to earth. Pacioretty and Stastny helps insulate their 2nd line if the 1st line drops back, making up in good part for losing Neal and Perron, though. So I probably shouldn't be as dismissive of Vegas as I still somehow feel like being. :dunno:

Reactions: LCPreds

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I still can't help feeling like there is a fluke factor in Vegas and they'll come back down to earth. Pacioretty and Stastny helps insulate their 2nd line if the 1st line drops back, making up in good part for losing Neal and Perron, though. So I probably shouldn't be as dismissive of Vegas as I still somehow feel like being. :dunno:
There's pretty good reason to believe Karlsson and Stastny will turn back into pumpkins and the no-name defense will play like the collection of #4-6 d-men they are. Pacioretty should bounce back though and have a decent season.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Weber must feel awesome being in the middle of rebuild/re-tool in Montreal. Feel kinda bad for him actually, he started off so great.

Reactions: preds1

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
But that trade puts Vegas on the verge of the playoffs in my papers. Had all but written them off after losing a bunch of key pieces and the coming back to earth- factor.

Smith - Karlsson - Marchessault
Pacioretty - Statsny - Tuch
Eakin - Haula - Carpenter

Not a shabby Top 9. Should be able to compete in the Pacific.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
Weber must feel awesome being in the middle of rebuild/re-tool in Montreal. Feel kinda bad for him actually, he started off so great.

I've seen a couple of threads on the main trade board talking about maybe moving Weber. If they want to trade him back to Nashville with a few million of his cap hit retained, at a reasonable trade price, I'd love to see it. Not that it's at all realistic. But man, Subban-Ellis-Weber down the right side would be a beast of a team.

While I'm dreaming they might as well pick up Karlsson too... Ha.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Semantics often matter such as when the difference between a strike and lockout is which antagonist in a labor fight causes the work stoppage.

Of course, but in the NHL's case, whenever someone incorrectly uses the term strike, there is inevitably the responses blaming the owners and correcting the terminology to lockout.

Yes they were lockouts, but I find in the majority of these instances, the poster doing the correcting is looking to absolve the players of their hand in negotiations reaching that point.

Whether the owners initiate a lockout, or the players strike, both sides were nearly equally to blame in getting to that point. I know you know all of this, but some posters still seem to believe the owners could have just avoided that situation and that since it was technically a lockout that they hold all of the blame.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
The biggest difference between a strike and a lockout is if the players strike the owners could at least theoretically play with replacement players

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
The biggest difference between a strike and a lockout is if the players strike the owners could at least theoretically play with replacement players

If they strike/lock out any time in the next 5 years I'll probably be pretty pissed. Preds have done a great job putting together a team that can compete for a good amount of time and having something like that potentially screw it up would suck horribly.

Solve it by winning this year, right?

Reactions: PredsV82

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Also signed a 4 year extension a $7mil AAV

To me this trade is a mistake. McPhee got excited about the miracle run last year and is trying to keep it going, but IMO he should be treating last season like found money, just enjoy but let the original plan play out.

Of course I could be wrong, Suzuki could bust, the draft pick could become nothing and Patches could return to form and be a big scoring presence for Vegas. But I wouldn't have made that deal if I were in the GM seat.

Last edited:

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
And it sounds like he wants to be GM of the Wings when Holland leaves
The sooner the better if so...:towel:

tenor.gif

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I think it's a classy move by Stevey Y. Hes gonna be the GM of the Wings, in the same division as the Lightning. This move should remove any concern that he might either consciously or unconsciously make moves as TB GM that would directly or indirectly benefit Detroit

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad