Patriots/NFL Off Season talk - Pats trade for WR DeVante Parker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
I wouldn't mind seeing Pat Patriot brought back on a special occasion, but permanently? No thanks.

That said, I think they could tweek the current uniforms and dramatically improve them:

EWC_rZEXkAEtFqU

Reactions: GabeTravels

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Belichick would get another 2 years regardless of record - it would have to be a scandal like Bill gets caught coming out of a massage parlor and getting caught on tape in a Super Bowl state of euphoria

Otherwise I think long term he’s on right track

For football draft junkies - Move the Sticks & Path to the Draft outstanding NFL network

Great podcast comes out Tuesday & Thursday Seemheads with Greg Cosell

Phenomenal information

Last edited:
Reactions: quietbruinfan

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I love the draft

When I was a yute I skipped school with fake cough on draft day even though wasn’t on TV. I kept checking WBZ radio and boom I get ‘the Patriots drafted a Tight End from Oregon named Russ Francis who didn’t even play and was like the world record holder in javelin or some cockamamie thing’

Here I am with my Sport Magazine, Sporting
News and Boston Globe sports section with Will McDonagh mock all spread out on floor as a 12 or 13 year old all excited and they draft a guy who throws a shot putt or discus or something and didn’t even play.

I used up a valuable fake sick day for this ????

Outrageous

Anyways this folks was our world 45-50 years ago and actually it wasn’t bad - we had to use our imagination more and I had no bleeping idea who or what a Russ Francis even looked like but it was fun regardless

@LouJersey likes my stories :laugh:

Last edited:

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
I love the draft

When I was a yute I skipped school with fake cough on draft day even though wasn’t on TV. I kept checking WBZ radio and boom I get ‘the Patriots drafted a Tight End from Oregon named Russ Francis who didn’t even play and was like the world record holder in javelin or some cockamamie thing’

Here I am with my Sport Magazine, Sporting
News and Boston Globe sports section with Will McDonagh mock all spread out on floor as a 12 or 13 year old all excited and they draft a guy who throws a shot putt or discus or something and didn’t even play.

I used up a valuable fake sick day for this ????

Outrageous

Anyways this folks was our world 45-50 years ago and actually it wasn’t bad - we had to use our imagination more and I had no bleeping idea who or what a Russ Francis even looked like but it was fun regardless

@LouJersey likes my stories :laugh:
I like your stories. A lot.

And Russ Francis didn't turn out too bad for a track and field guy. Can you imagine him in a modern offense? He, Leon Gray and Mike Haynes leaving ruined that team - and broke my 12-year-old heart. Getting stomped by the Oilers at home in the '78 Divisional round with Chuck Fairbanks already leaving for (my future grad alma mater) Colorado was the catalyst, but those guys all bailing made the early 80s pretty awful. Francis replaced by the immortal Don Hasselbeck, no less.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I like your stories. A lot.

And Russ Francis didn't turn out too bad for a track and field guy. Can you imagine him in a modern offense? He, Leon Gray and Mike Haynes leaving ruined that team - and broke my 12-year-old heart. Getting stomped by the Oilers at home in the '78 Divisional round with Chuck Fairbanks already leaving for (my future grad alma mater) Colorado was the catalyst, but those guys all bailing made the early 80s pretty awful. Francis replaced by the immortal Don Hasselbeck, no less.
Yup

What a time though - I would have loved this place to experience those 1973-1980 Patriots

Fairbanks turned them around so fast it was crazy

The Raiders were such villains- you could put Brad Marchand & Kyrie Irving on them and wouldn’t even come close how despicable they were

Montreal- hockey
76ers - basketball
Yankees- baseball
raiders - football

The golden age of villains

I feel sad for all those here who never got to experience what real rivalry and hate was like as in the 70’s

Reactions: 08SeaBass08

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Yup

What a time though - I would have loved this place to experience those 1973-1980 Patriots

Fairbanks turned them around so fast it was crazy

The Raiders were such villains- you could put Brad Marchand & Kyrie Irving on them and wouldn’t even come close how despicable they were

Montreal- hockey
76ers - basketball
Yankees- baseball
raiders - football

The golden age of villains

I feel sad for all those here who never got to experience what real rivalry and hate was like as in the 70’s
When Raider fans complain about the unfairness of the tuck rule, I always ask if they know who Ben Dreith was.

Reactions: bbfan419

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
When Raider fans complain about the unfairness of the tuck rule, I always ask if they know who Ben Dreith was.
Ben Dreith call was most outrageous in my sports lifetime

Nothing beats it

Although had Sam Cunningham not gone out of bounds thinking he got a first down and crushed Atkinson and picked up another 2 yards game over and Ben Dreith can’t do anything about it

I thought same - I laughed back in 2000 with the Tuck Rule exactly as you stated - that 1975 SB the Raiders got is fraudulent

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Ben Dreith call was most outrageous in my sports lifetime

Nothing beats it

Although had Sam Cunningham not gone out of bounds thinking he got a first down and crushed Atkinson and picked up another 2 yards game over and Ben Dreith can’t do anything about it

I thought same - I laughed back in 2000 with the Tuck Rule exactly as you stated - that 1975 SB the Raiders got is fraudulent
That is a big statement, but you might be right. Don Denkinger in the '85 WS is pretty bad, but he missed the play, he didn't fabricate some BS.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Clayton Weishuhn, who holds the Patriots record for tackles in a season, was killed in a motor vehicle accident near his hometown of Wall, Texas, last Friday. He was 62.

Weishuhn was a speedy and rugged linebacker whom the Patriots drafted out of Angelo State in the third round in 1982. In 1983, he started all 16 games and registered 229 tackles — 14.3 per game — a franchise mark that still stands.

He played 30 games for New England, though injuries cost him most of the 1984, ’85, and ’86 seasons. He played his final season with the Packers in 1987 before retiring.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
I wouldn't mind seeing Pat Patriot brought back on a special occasion, but permanently? No thanks.

That said, I think they could tweek the current uniforms and dramatically improve them:

EWC_rZEXkAEtFqU

Just bring back the red unis with Pat Patriot. They are the traditional colors of the team and the jerseys everyone are clamoring for. If we are going to go with a new blue uni that isn't the current one (that hopefully gets white pants soon instead of the full blueberry look), go back to the '93 unis worn by Bledsoe in his first year.
1651031428258.png

Or better yet, bring back the Starter unis that everyone is just dying to have back again (for some reason) with red face mask and all.
1651031511626.png

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I’m all over Draft

I’m Belichick and unless Williams or Jermaine Johnson drop to 21 I take Zion Johnson

Gotta protect Jones and Zion outstanding G who has started games at C so he has added value / he’s a 2 roster guy

Personally I don’t trade Mason and don’t draft Johnson, but what is done is done and Johnson helps give Mac more time to pass and make reads and open up holes

DKH Thursday Patriots game plan without a trade

1. (21) Zion Johnson

Others that I would select if dropped
Jordan Davis
Devon Lloyd
Jameson Williams
Jermaine Johnson

Guys who should be there I would be good with at 21

Dax Hill S/CB
Andrew Booth CB
Nakobe Dean ILB
Jahan Dotson

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
They're gonna trade out of the first and pick up extra picks. Bad draft at the top, but it's very deep since so many extra prospects are available as a result of COVID. (Saw something that said most drafts have 500 players worth consideration but this one has 700.) Unless they specifically identify a guy they want I expect them to move back quite a bit. Might be the right year to do that, but it'll be frustrating.

I'd rather that than use the 21st on a guard, though.

Excited to see what Belichick does with undrafted guys, since there will be more of them worth signing. Could be a real good year for that and we know he excels with them.

Reactions: 08SeaBass08 and DKH

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
I’m all over Draft

I’m Belichick and unless Williams or Jermaine Johnson drop to 21 I take Zion Johnson

Gotta protect Jones and Zion outstanding G who has started games at C so he has added value / he’s a 2 roster guy

Personally I don’t trade Mason and don’t draft Johnson, but what is done is done and Johnson helps give Mac more time to pass and make reads and open up holes

1. (21) Zion Johnson

Jordan Davis
Devon Lloyd
Jameson Williams
Jermaine Johnson

Dax Hill S/CB
Andrew Booth CB
Nakobe Dean ILB
Jahan Dotson

I want Zion. But Bill will trade the first and get more picks and players no one who stands out as a BB 1st pick.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
They're gonna trade out of the first and pick up extra picks. Bad draft at the top, but it's very deep since so many extra prospects are available as a result of COVID. (Saw something that said most drafts have 500 players worth consideration but this one has 700.) Unless they specifically identify a guy they want I expect them to move back quite a bit. Might be the right year to do that, but it'll be frustrating.

I'd rather that than use the 21st on a guard, though.

Excited to see what Belichick does with undrafted guys, since there will be more of them worth signing. Could be a real good year for that and we know he excels with them.
Yup

I would trade back anything under 40 and grab another pick in 60’s

They have a wonky OL and Johnson is perfect albeit not sexy

Ideally they keep Mason and draft all 3 levels of Defense in first 3 picks

Johnson has positional flexibility as well as being a legit stud

Day 1 of combine Belichick was at BC watching Zion

They traded Mason and haven’t replaced him

They need some stability and skill on OL or Mac will be under seige and Harris & Stephenson won’t have holes

All the clues say OL round 1 but we are talking Belichick here

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I’m all over Draft

1. (21) Zion Johnson

Jordan Davis
Devon Lloyd
Jameson Williams
Jermaine Johnson

Dax Hill S/CB
Andrew Booth CB
Nakobe Dean ILB
Jahan Dotson

I don't see Johnson as the pick (unless they trade down to the top of the 2nd) and I'll tell you why. They haven't drafted an interior lineman in the 1st or 2nd round since Mankins, who was a college tackle. That was coming off back-to-back Super Bowls, so you can point to Mankins as a bit of a luxury pick. They've got a major need for blue chip talent, and their process suggests that they don't view interior linemen as that.

I think Devin Lloyd makes a lot of sense (and I keep seeing him available at 21 in a lot of mock drafts) as a Hightower replacement. Draft an athletic 3-down LB who can play multiple positions and has pass rush skill.

I think they'd love to take a CB, but Booth has some medical questions and it's too early to take Hill or Elam. That's why it makes a ton of sense that they trade 21 for 32/66, 33/65, or maybe even 39/48. I'd be pretty happy if they could finagle a way to get Metchie and one of Harris, Muma, or Chenal, but they're going to need two picks in the 40-60 range to pull that off.

Reactions: DKH
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad